It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

chloe1234567890 HB User
Question Duodenitis

Hi There I Was Dx With Duodenitis Is Oct 2005 But Wasnt Told Much About It Im Still In Alot Of Pain 2yrs After This First Started, And Wondered If Anyone Had Any Info On This Matter.

Does Anyone Know The Symptoms For Duodenitis And If They Do Can It Cause Right Side Upper Back Pain And What Causes It And What The Treatment Is For This.

Thank You For Taking The Time To Read This.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User
Re: Duodenitis

Duodenitis implies inflammation of the first portion of the small intestine. In this area the most common cause of inflammation is damage from stomach acid. The second most common cause is a Helicobacter pylori infection. It is necessary to biopsy the stomach to diagnose this particular bacteria. It can also be diagnosed with a blood test. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen can also cause duodenitis. Other rare causes of duodenitis include acid hypersecretory states such as in patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome or systemic mastocytosis. It has also been linked to IBD - mainly Crohn's Disease. If Helicobacter pylori infection is ruled out the treatment for duodenitis is acid suppression with either histamine receptor antagonists (such as ranitidine, cimetidine or famotidine) or proton pump inhibitors (omeperazole or lansoprazole) and avoiding nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. If Helicobacter pylori is not ruled out, then I am not familiar with a H. Pylori treatment, but there are more ppl on this board with this who are more than willing to help

Symptoms are similar to Peptic Ulcer Disease or duodenal ulcers.There can be stomach pain, bleeding from the intestine, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, and, rarely, intestinal obstruction.

I'm not sure if it can cause right sided upper back pain, but I do know pain can radiate. So maybe it is possible it is actualy stomach pain you are experiencing that is radiating to your back???

I would suggest another trip to the doctor, and go prepared. Bring a list of written questions if you think that may help, and make sure you get answers. I am an advocate of taking your health into your own hands.

Good Luck.

Angela

Last edited by Angela22F; 03-30-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
(female)

chloe1234567890 HB User

HI ANGELA

THANKS FOR YR REPLIES.

I HAVE HAD A ENDOSCOPE DONE IN OCT 05, AND WAS TOLD I HAD MILD REFLUX, DUODENITIS AND THEY DID A BIOPSY TO SEE IF THERE WAS ANY HELLICOBACTOR PYLORI WHICH THE SAID WAS ALL CLEAR.

I MAIN PROBLEM IS I GET AN ACHE UNDER MY RIGHT RIB CAGE WHICH COMES AND GOES IT DOESNT HAVE ME BENDING OVER IN PAIN BUT DOES LEAVE ME WITH THIS REALLY PAINFUL RIGHT SIDE MID-TO UPPER BACK PAIN USUALLY UPTO JUST UNDER THE BLADE WHEN THIS GETS REALLY BAD IT FEELS LIKE MY GLANDS ARE ALL UP AND I FEEL QUITE FLUEY . ALSO I GET A VERY SORE THROAT AS THE DAY PROGRESSES.

THE ONLY THING IS WHEN I PUSH RIGHT BELOW MY RIB AS IN, "THE FINGERS ARE JUST UNDERNEATH THE RIB CAGE" IT SENDS THE MOST AGONISING PAIN UP TO MY SHOULDER BLADE.

I WAKE UP IN THE MORNING FEELING FINE FOR ABOUT AN HOUR UNTIL I HAVE MY BREAKFAST WHICH IS EITHER SHREDDIES WITH FULL SKIMMED MILK OT TOAST. THE I GET THE ACHE FOR ABOUT 5-10 MINS THEN IM LEFT WITH THE BACK PAIN AGAIN SOMETHIMES WITH SHORTNESS OF BREATH ON THAT SIDE.

I HAVE HAD AN ULTRA SOUND DONE OF THE LIVE AND GALLBLADDER WHEN I WAS PREGNAT IN 04 WHEN THIS ALL STARTED AND THEY SAID ALL LOOKED FINE.

I HAVE BEEN ON PARIET FOR THE HEARTBURN AND CO-CODAMOL FOR THE PAIN. I HAVE SEARCHED THE NET FOR INFO BUT THE I CANT GET ANYTING THAT SUGGESTS WHAT IS HAPPENING EVERYDAY IS A STRUGGLE .

SORRY THE POST IS LONG BUT PLEASE GIVE ME YR INPUT.

THANKYOU

Old 03-31-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

I am far from a doctor - and I don't pretend to be one either, and the only thing I really can tell you is you should go back and get another consult as it seems you have not got any relief as of yet. Nothing or no one on here can take the place of a medical professional. I can only offer my personal opinion, and I really don't know how much thats worth - ha ha ha.

In regards to you feeling "fluey", I think it may not hurt to ask for a full blood panel. Make sure they check vitamin levels as malabsorption can accompany Duodenitis, and cause deficiencies. (personally I suffer from an iron and b12 deficiency). I know a B12 deficiency can cause the shortness of breath along with many other things.

Also watch what you are eatting. Maybe you are experiencing a sensitivity to a certain food, say dairy (lactose) or the toast (gluten) - and that does not necessarily mean an intolerance either. By trial and error you can eliminate these from your diet, and see if that helps. Try keeping a food journal of what you eat and the symptoms you experience. I say this because you say you experience symptoms after eatting shreddies w/milk and having toast.

I cannot stress enough how much I think you should return to the doctor, and if you get no answers from him, get a second opinion.

Good Luck and God Bless

Angela

Last edited by Angela22F; 03-31-2006 at 11:44 AM.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
(female)

chloe1234567890 HB User

HI ANGELA

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES THE DOC JUST TELLS ME ITS REFLUX AND I NEED TO RELAX. I HAD A FULL BLOOD DONE AND THE ONLY THING THAT SHOWED UP WAS CALCIUM BUT THEY DIDNT FOLLW IT THROUGH . AND CREATININE I THINK THATS WAT THEY SAID IN MY URINE. BUT AT THE TIME I WAS PREGNANT AND THEY SIAD IT WAS WHERE I HADNT EATEN ANYTHING (I KNEW DIFFERANTLY) .

SO AGAIN IM AT A LOSS MY HUBBY THINKS ITS MY GALLBLADDER BUT SCAN IN 04 SAID ALL WAS FINE.
IM AT THE DOCS EVRYWEEK WITH THE SAME SYMPTOMS SINCE I WAS PREGNANT IN 04 AND IM STILL GETTING THE SAME GASTRO DOC THINKS ITS IBS.

THANK YOU

Old 04-01-2006, 03:08 AM   #6
(female)

EosLady HB User

Sorry you are having so many problems with no resolution....
Just a couple of thoughts... Inflammation in the Duodenum can be caused by a disease called eosinophilic duodenitis.... It is a type of allergic disease and the only way to diagnose it is to stain the biopsy slides to look for too many eosinophils in the tissue...
Reflux can be a symptom of this disease.... Are the reflux meds working to calm your reflux? If not then it may be from eosinophilic disease...
It is what I know the most about in all of the Gi problems there are, but I have been studying it for 9 years, since I was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis.... I have it in my stomach and small intestine, as well as in my colon...
Many GI's are not aware of this disease, and it is quite common for it to flare up during pregnancy. Blood tests can't diagnose this disease, but if the white count is high with a large percentage of eosinophils it is at least an indication to look for it...

Many Adult GI's don't take biopsies when they do scopes unless they see something that looks abnormal.. Unfortunately this disease can be invisible in the GI tract with the damage occuring in deeper layers only found with biopsies...

APFED.org is a good place to read more information about it and see if you think it may match your symptoms at all. If so you can ask your doctor about it specifically... Both my primary and my GI have told me my symptoms are classic IBS, but they ruled that out with the biopsies.... But I do believe that many people are misdiagnosed because the symptoms are so similar...

Good luck in finding an answer and a treatment that will work for you...

Eos Lady

Closed Thread