It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

at wits end--many symptoms

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
canadave
(male)

canadave HB User
at wits end--many symptoms

Hi all,

I've posted about this once or twice before here, but it's been awhile, and I'm still feeling crummy, so I figured I'd post again...if for no other reason than to hear myself "talk."

I'm 34 years old, and I basically feel pretty crummy each day. I feel like I'm always tired, I have nausea, sometimes headaches, and generally feel "blah"--when friends ask me "Hey, let's go out tonight," I actually have to think about it. Sometimes I just don't feel like even getting up out of bed to go. Also, sometimes I can feel relatively better, or worse, from hour to hour or day to day.

I've had several tests. I had a barium swallow and stomach X-ray, and also had an upper endoscopy done. The GI doctor said everything basically looked healthy, "although there was signs of some reflux." He gave me a prescription for Nexium and sent me on my way.

When I went to my GP doctor to follow up, he said he figured it was GERD, with possibly a touch of IBS. He advised me to try the Nexium.

I've tried Nexium for months. I also had been on Prevacid and some other drug beforehand (neither worked). The Nexium doesn't work either.

This is the part where I need some advice. I feel, and have always felt, as though my general sensation of discomfort is somehow "centered" about an inch below my sternum, where I guess my transverse colon is, right? I always have this dull sensation there, and I always have this urge to firmly massage in that one spot, and also over to my left, along the transverse colon, to a spot near where the colon turns downward, under my left rib cage. When I massage there (I find I do that half of my days), it seems to momentarily feel a little better. I also almost find that I'm short of breath, as if my diaphragm isn't working right.

All this has been going on, to greater or lesser of a degree, for about two years now.

I'm wracking my brains trying to figure out what this adds up to. I mentioned all this to my GI doctor before he did my endoscopy, and he felt around my abdomen and seemed to dismiss it as unimportant. But I swear, this does NOT feel like something that's "biochemical", like inflammation or whatever, like GERD. It feels like something maybe "mechanical", something physically wrong or out of place. The nausea, fatigue, and general ill feeling every day makes me think this--I find it hard to believe such symptoms can be caused to this degree by something like an inflamed bowel. Also, the fact that I keep wanting to massage this one specific area of my abdomen makes me think that too.

Some possibilities I've thought of:

--ulcer in colon or elsewhere nearby
--pancreas problem
--colon pressing against ribs somehow?
--diaphragm problem (pressing against something maybe?)

Am I being delusional? What's the next diagnostic steps? Obviously I'd like to have a colonoscopy done, but would an ultrasound of the area in question be warranted or helpful? What does the specific massage impulse I always seem to have mean, if anything?

Thanks everybody, sorry for the long post. I always feel like I'm whining when I write this sort of thing.

--Dave

Last edited by canadave; 03-30-2006 at 10:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Sharon76
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User
Re: at wits end--many symptoms

Hi

An ultrasound of the area would not show up the bowel if this is what you are concerned about, but it will show up your organs and any tissue problems you may have.

IBD can make you feel like you feel everyday if it isnt controlled. You can feel tired, fatigued, nauseous, aching all over and unwell. If your disgestive tract is out of function then it can upset everything else in your body as this provides the main balance throughout.

Also there is a condition called addisons disease which has similar symptoms, maybe you could ask to be tested for that.

Good luck and i hope you get it sorted

Old 03-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
canadave
(male)

canadave HB User

Thanks Sharon for your reply. I didn't think I met the criteria for IBD; I have no "pain" to speak of, and I don't have bloody stools or rectal bleeding or anything like that. I do feel a bit achy all over all the time though, and certainly the fatigue and general unwell feeling are just awfully annoying to deal with.

A colonoscopy would diagnose IBD, correct? I have a feeling that's my next step.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:35 PM   #4
Sharon76
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

A colonoscopy could be helpful to you.

You could be experiencing severe long term constipation.

Even though you may be going to the toilet each day a person can still be constipated as they are only getting rid of the surface faeces and not the whole amount, this is called overflow stools.

My young son had the same problem, he had a an x ray and it shown up that his large bowel was full of faeces and he was experiencing overflow stools.

But you said you have had an x ray.

Maybe like you said the colonoscopy may be your next step.

Good luck, i hope you get it sorted

Old 04-01-2006, 03:16 AM   #5
Lady4489
(female)

Lady4489 HB User

Hi,
Did the doctor take any biopsies when he did the endoscopy? If he did, see if you can get a copy of the report.... Sometimes doctors don't realize that eosinophils in the esophagus are not actually relfux, but eosinophilic esophagitis... Also that would explain the problem with acid meds not helping...
I have eosinophils in my colon, and get constipated quite a bit... No bloody stools, etc, but mucous fairly often....
If you have a colonoscopy, please ask your doctor to take lots of biopsies and to get into the small intestine if possible to take biopsies.... They are really important if you do by any chance have eosinophilic GI disease... You can't be diagnosed without the biopsies.. It is also important that they biopsy normal looking tissue... eos hide....

APFED.org has a ton of info if you are interested..
Eos Lady

Old 04-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
dddon
(male)

dddon HB User

Hey Canadave!
my thoughts are : become informed about other methods of treatment .. in particular read the available info about flaxoil. ... it is only food, so it "can do no harm" . . as you know, many of the medicines can do lots of harm. I suffered for many years with "heartburn" .. took every type of meds for it ..nexium. prevacid, etc. The SIDE effects were terrible!! I now drink water/applecider vinegar to handle the "burn" , and am surprised how well it works, until I eat food that is less than "organic".
You could be having the same response to preservatives that I do ... BAD!! (no foolin!! I suffer for hours from a "bakery" sweet roll!!......... homemade? no problem!!
I also am eating an ounce of flaxoil with cottage cheese each day . the combination is critical !!! .. flaxoil needs the cottage cheese to do its "magic" ,,, it has been called "the magic bullet" , since it has been shown to give relief to a vast number of problems!! do you drink milk?? eat ANY dairy products?? if so STOP for a few days .. "cows milk is great .... for calfs!!" dairy products are very hard to digest. Eat lots of veggys for a week .. if it helps you are on the way to a "cure"
The Dr. Budwig book on flaxoil is where I got some of my info .. there is also a Dr. Gerson that did similar work using fruit and vegtable juices to cure most forms of cancer!! his discovery of the treatment began with his migrain headaches, and no food other than organic fruits and vegtables suplemented with lots of vitamin D and magnesium .. I really hope this helps!! dddon
p.s. try to get out in the sun every day ... it is THE souce of vit. D!!!

Old 04-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
dddon
(male)

dddon HB User

Dave...
I am very new to this site ... I just read through some (not all) of your "cries for help!!" I am 72 and have had those "end-o-gaspcpies" and "try this" ... so I can relate, and I also have not been given a "cure" ...
my post to you was my first post, and tho I didn't know how long or how bad your saga ,, I gave you my thoughts ......... and now after reading more of your plight, (and others) , I will only add this bit of advise ..... eat only RAW vegtables and fruits and flaxoil and cottage cheese for a few weeks .... the preservatives and other stuff that is in meat and processed foods can really screw up your system... according to Dr Gerson ... MOST diseases are really symptoms of a LIVER that is very sick and only easy to digest food , and eating no dairy or meat or any other non-natural food (sugar included) , over a period of time can see an improvement. tho it may be hard to grasp .. DR Gerson cured TERMINAL cancers in this way!!
"FAT" is where the body stores the stuff it cannot rid itself of.... so the top of the food chain ... US .. get the worst load of all ... especially if we eat the fat of animals .....
I pray that you will try what I suggest ..be advised: I am sure you will not starve ..... the human body is awsome in that way ..that is why almost all diets fail .. put in less food , less calories, and it just changes it's metabolism .... BUT wonder of wonders!! ...if you put in less "poisons"... it will heal itself!!!!! To help put this in perspective .... It took the Wright bros. YEARS to convince people that they had suceeded in flying!! (some think the world is flat and man cannot fly)
and please ... when you do start to feel better DON"T stop
and feel cured ... it takes several YEARS to heal the liver!!
everyone that reads this has much to gain, and nothing to lose by doing this very simple thing .... EAT LESS ...and avoid animal fat and all non-natural foods (if possible)
liquor is NOT a natural food .. so look over your normal food intake and cut out any "processed food you can, and your body will thank you with years of good health!!
wishing you success!! dddon

Closed Thread