It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Getting HIDA Scan, Nervous About Stories I Read

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
karen7
(female)

karen7 HB User
Getting HIDA Scan, Nervous About Stories I Read

I am getting a HIDA scan to see why I have right upper quadrant pain. The sonogram showed no gallstones. I have been reading that people get pain when they add the second medication to the IV. I am wondering if this is the rule or the exception. They can't give you anything and I can't imagine laying there in severe pain. If anyone has had this scan and had an ok experince, I would very much appreciate assurance. If you haven't had the scan but know a lot about this, please let me know. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
kehorner
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Getting HIDA Scan, Nervous About Stories I Read

It was my impression that the pain that you get (if you get pain) when they inject the CCK will be similar to the pain you usually get during an attack.

I wish I could help, but my gallbladder was so full of stones that they couldn't get the tracer to go into it. Thus, there was no point in doing the CCK since they couldn't actually see the gallbladder to begin with.

My biggest suggestion for the test is to bring a portable music player or a book or something, because it's boring. You just lay there on your back for 1-3 hours.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
karen7
(female)

karen7 HB User

Thanks, kehorner. I never had an attack per se, just have had upper right pain for years on and off. I
ve had many sonograms, none of which showed stones so something else is going on. I am hoping it's just gas or IBS but right now just so afraid of geting pain that I won't be able to bear. I have read that the pain may not have a correlation with your condition...some people just get cramps without any findings on the test. Thanks for the advice, I plan to bring a discman, too bad the test is so long. I am scared of laying there in pain for hours, scared that the pain will last forever, or that the dye will give me a new pain. I'm not good with this stuff and have difficult veins and scared of them sticking me 10 times. Yuck...I can imagine them telling me they're now putting in the CCK and me freaking out. I hope the pain isn't the norm and I hope they don't leave me alone in a room.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
Jennio
(female)

Jennio HB User

I had a hida scan, and it didn't cause me any pain (except for the tiny needle ***** for the IV!). Anyway, good luck!

Old 04-06-2006, 03:49 AM   #5
dfroman1166
(female)

dfroman1166 HB User

I've had one and had no pain at all.I was also very nervous becaue I have severe pain attacks in the excact area of mt GB. I think that if you do acually have gallstones it will hurt.
Good luck! I hope the find out whats causing your pain I've been living with it for 2 years now with no diagnosis.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
michele1975
(female)

michele1975 HB User

I had one a week ago and I didn't have any problems. I felt the same through the whole thing just uncomfortable laying there for a hour without moving.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
Gerdie
(female)

Gerdie HB User

I had a HIDA scan a few years ago to test my gallbladder. I didn't have stones, but they found my gallbladder wasn't emptying all the way. I did experience pain similar to the gallbladder attacks I was having, but my test was only about a 1/2 hour, maybe 45 minutes, not 1 - 3 hours. The first part of the scan was without the dye and I only had the pain after the dye was inserted in the IV. It lasted maybe 10 minutes and then the technician inserted something to flush it out and the pain went away. I didn't find it all that terrible in my case.

Closed Thread