It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
(male)

joppenhe HB User
Unhappy Bacterial Infection from BEER?

What is the possibility of getting some sort of bacteria from beer? I recently drank about two beers and within a few hours I had horrible stomach cramps, my stomach felt so full of gas that it felt like it would explode. It continued to worsen as I lay in bed trying to sleep, I felt horrible. I was moaning I felt so sick. I threw up a few times throughout the night and went to sleep feeling my stomach cramping up and aching still.
The Next day I woke up and felt better, but I could still tell my stomach had problems the night before. I was not 100% sure it was the beer, it could have been some food that I ate...so a few days later I drank about half a beer. The same exact symptoms hit me again although not as hard (stomach ache, huge amount of bloating) - I did not throw up this time.

I know beer is supposed to have "good" bacteria in it like cheese and yogurt, but is it possible this batch became infected with "bad" bacteria?

Thanks for your input.

(by the way I am not allergic to beer - I have had more than enough beer to be sure of that, this is not my first time drinking this particular brand of beer either, and I ate entirely different foods on the two seperate occasions that the beer made me sick)

Old 04-20-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Re: Bacterial Infection from BEER?

Beer really doesn't support BAD bacteria. Did you drink this out of a can? Maybe the CAN had bacteria on it (from sitting in warehouses, etc) - I mean even if you didn't put your mouth directly onto the can, just by pouring it into a glass could transfer it I would imagine. Just a thought. Have another beer (if you dare! LOL!), but this time wash the can thoroughly, see what happens. (I wouldn't be that brave because I hate feeling sick, but if you are brave and aren't obsessed about sickness, it may be worth a try to just find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
(female)

geifer HB User

My sister has sprue and she gets the same sypmthoms that you described because of the hops and other wheat products that are used to brew beer geifer

Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 AM   #4
(male)

joppenhe HB User

Thanks for the replies. It is in a can, but i poured it into a glass one of the times i tried it. I don't think im allergic to wheat, i have been drinking other beer and feel fine. Is it really not possible for bad bacteria to exist in a can if it somehow contaminated the liquid before it was canned in the factory?

Old 04-21-2006, 03:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppenhe
Thanks for the replies. It is in a can, but i poured it into a glass one of the times i tried it. I don't think im allergic to wheat, i have been drinking other beer and feel fine. Is it really not possible for bad bacteria to exist in a can if it somehow contaminated the liquid before it was canned in the factory?
I read a while ago that bad bacteria can't exist in beer. I guess it would mean in any case. Like I said, even if you poured it into a glass the bacteria could be transfered off the can into the glass (Maybe).

Closed Thread