It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
(female)

karen7 HB User
HIDA scan results, low ejection fraction, no stones..operate?

I have been having right upper quadrant pain for many years and my sonograms have been normal, never showing stones. My bloodwork has also been normal. My HIDA scan last week showed a 14% ejection fraction however and they want to remove my gallbladder.

By now I must have read hundreds of websites and posts and it seems that the prognosis is worse for people with no stones than without and that so many develop pain afterwards or Sphincter of Oddi problems. After reading the risks of the tests performed to check the sphincter, I am not anxious to get my gall bladder out. The doctor said I can develop stones if I don't, wall thickening and possibly pancreatitis. I am in so much pain on and off that I just don't know what to do. I have a friend who had her gallbladder out with no stones (hers was acutely inflamed...had to) and she has had pain since.

I am also trying to understand what's causing my intermittent pain. I read that there's a connection between stress and Sphincter of Oddi pain and I usually get my pain when I am stressed so now I am afraid that this is what's happening. I have been tested while in pretty bad pain though and my liver tests were all normal. This is making me very nervous. I will meet with the surgeon soon and ask these questions but any feedback would be appreciated. I would hate to go through surgery and have no relief...then what? Either way it seems I lose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
(female)

Socagrl HB User
Re: HIDA scan results, low ejection fraction, no stones..operate?

hi karen

all my tests were normal, i am waiting to get a hida scan. but i've had pains there also for 2 years and so far all my ultrasounds are normal.

i have heard the pain after surgery can still be there or even worse and sometimes diarrhea.

what kind of pain are you having? (sharp, dull, ache, sore)
where is the pain? (front, back, stomach, right shoulder)
how long does it last?
do you get it after eating?
have you ever had an attack?

Old 04-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, my thought process when I had mine out was that it was never going to improve. It was too damaged and malfunctioning. So did I want to live like that or have it out and have a bout or two of diarrhea periodically? No brainer. It came out. And I do not regret it. That was in Feb 2005. Sure, I have to hit the bathroom sometimes. And there is a little phantom pain very now and then. But it goes away...the other never did and never would.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
(female)

karen7 HB User

Socrgirl, the pain can be sharp or dull and it is usually right under the bra band area, like an inch below rather than where the gallbladder actually is. However, it can cover the whole rib area at times. It doesn't occur necessarily after I eat. It rarely wakes me up, it doesn't bother me when I lay down as much. I have had this for probably 20 years and thought it was reflux or gas. The pain sometimes seems like it's drilling a hole through my upper back but that could be the reflux which I do have (on a drug for this). I agree with the poster after you in that I'd rather have diarrhea than this but from what I read, people can get ongoing pain with no relief after gallbladder removal. The odds are in our favor to have relief. I just wish this had a better prognosis. I thought if I have the gall bladder out my problem would be solved. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones. Good luck with the HIDA scan, dress warm...they keep those rooms freezing and that was the worst part for me!

Old 04-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
(female)

Socagrl HB User

i too would rather have some diarrhea occasionally than to deal wtih this forever. but the thing i worry about is having surgery and the pain still there!
that scares me!

do you ever have a sore or painful right shoulder?
painful shoulder blade?
have you felt pain on your left side ever?
is your pain bad in your back- mine is!

mine was so sharp once i could hardly move, but usually it's dull like yours

Old 04-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
(female)

karen7 HB User

Socrfrl, I haven't had pain in my shoulder but have had bad pain in my upper back, similar to the pain when you swallow a bread crust that's too hard, it radiates to the back. Usually gas and then the belch relieves it, or related to the reflux I have. Yes, I get pain on the left side too but moreso on the right. The thought of the pain continuing is awful because the steps they take after that regarding the sphincter of oddi are pretty scary. I guess we should think positive about this whole thing.

Closed Thread