It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

In the bathroom all the time and desperate for help!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2006, 03:31 AM   #1
nervygirly

nervygirly HB User
Unhappy In the bathroom all the time and desperate for help!

I'm 20, generally happy but sometimes nervous, but I have awful digestive problems. I've been repeatedly told I have IBS and for a while that made sense. I was switching between diarrhea and constipation every few days, which seemed to match the IBS description. The past year it's all changed and I'm beginning to doubt whether it is actually IBS. My dad has Coeliac disease, very severely, and his mother had it too. Because of this being hereditary, and my symptoms worsening, I had the blood tests and the endoscopy and it came back negative. I was actually so disappointed with this because at least I would have had a name for my problem and could have got better just by eating the right foods. I've seen how much better my dad is and I want to be Coeliac!

But now I'm at a loss! Most days I have 3 bowel movements - pain and diarrhea, and gas the rest of the time. Some days, like the past two days, it's 3 BMs within about 4 hours of waking up, with ache and a kind of 'shivery' feeling around my abdomen - anyone recognise that feeling? It leaves me feeling nauseous and tired and upset.

I just don't know where to start experimenting with food allergies. It seems like whatever I eat disagrees with me. I ate plain boiled rice and peas yesterday, and then a baked potato for dinner. And today I'm in the bathroom all morning! It doesn't make sense to me.

I am desperate for a solution. I really don't think it is IBS anymore and this is disrupting my life! Does anyone have any advice or similar problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: In the bathroom all the time and desperate for help!

Here in the States it is called Celiac Disease-- Have you tried going on a gluten free diet? As you know gluten is in alot of products? Your Dad knows!! Rice/ peas and potato should not have caused a BM. But the peas could be a trigger food. Also some people can't eat rice??

Also, are you taking a water soluble fiber supplement like psyllium to bulk up your stool and slow it down??

The worse person that I have ever known with alot of diarrhea BMs was helped alot by taking psyllium fiber 3 times daily --- Metamucil.

Your symptoms also sound like a virus!!

Last edited by Harry; 04-24-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
ricochet1307
(female)

ricochet1307 HB User
Re: In the bathroom all the time and desperate for help!

Have you also been checked for Ulcerative Colitis? Your symptoms sound very similar to what I went through for most of my life. Do you also get sweaty & cold during those movements? There are meds for it that help some people. I tried several, but none seemed to work for me. My symptoms went into remission on their own with dietary changes. I now have only mild flare ups now and then. Remissions aren't real common, from what I understand...but it comes at a price; the Dr. tells me that, now, my chances of eventually getting colo-rectal cancer is much higher than before.

Old 04-29-2006, 03:37 AM   #4
nervygirly

nervygirly HB User

Thank you both for your replies. I've been drinking a fibre supplement (Ispaghula husk) for the past week, and all that's happened is that I'm dashing to the bathroom even more frequently! High fibre would be great if I had problems 'going', but I really don't.... I guess I'll keep trying it to see if it takes more time to help.

I've been tested for Crohn's disease, but not ulcerative colitis. That came back negative. My dad's doctor has recommended I go through the whole Coeliac diagnosis again! He thinks the disease may be in the 'triggering' stage, so not fully developed but just starting. I suppose I'll do the tests and see.

Thank you again.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
sspoon
(female)

sspoon HB User

Hi, new to this board. I have had cronic diarrhea for over 2 years with severe cramps. I was able to somewhat control the D with Imiodium or Pepto. Some days I could get it to stop and I could leave my house and somedays I couldn't even go outside. To far to make it to the bathroom. It got to the point that I was wearing depends 24/7. Then in January I ended up in the hospital. Put on IV's. I was so dehydrated that I took in 6 IV bags in 2 hours. They took a stool sample and I had Clostridium Difficle C-Diff. I was given Flagyl and the C-Diff went into remission. But I still had all the symptoms. I went back to ER and had a upper and lower GI. They confirmed C-Diff remission but saw something and took a sample that turned out to be Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis. EG is a condition in which one or more layer of the stomach and/or small intestine are infiltrated with a type of white blood cell called eosiniphils. Symptoms of EG include early satiety (feeling full before finishing a meal), swelling, reflux, diarrhea, abdominal cramping. I also have it in my esophagus EE. Symptioms of EE include choking, chest pain, nausea, reflux, strictures, polyps and swallowing problems. And it's in my large bowel; Eosinophilic Colitis or EC. EC is often misdiagnosed as Ulcerative Colitis because both can have diarrhea and constipation. There is no cure for EE,EG,EC. Prednisone has been proven to put it into remission. I cannot take it. So I have live the rest of my life with diarrhea, severe cramping, swelling, (I look like I'm 7 months pregnant). Plus all the meds I'm taking for depression and panic attacks and the meds for EE,EC, & EG effect me like I'm living in a confused state of mind. I was told I could not drive, use the stove when no one is with me, and to never use stairs without help.

If your diarrhea has a toxic smell please have them do a stool sample for C-Diff. Also ask them about EE, EC, & EG.

Closed Thread