It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Can you help us to figure this out?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
ricochet1307
(female)

ricochet1307 HB User
Question PLEASE! PLEASE! Can you help us to figure this out?

Has anyone out there seen symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis with no lung problems, whatsoever? Or...should we be looking at other possibilities?

SYMPTOMS:
1) Chronic Diarrhea (since birth)
2) Lack of appetite with periods of ravenous hunger
3) 2 1/2 yrs behind on Height & Weight (bone age testing done)
4) Flatuation (foul odor)
5) Eczema (early childhood, now very dry skin)
6) Runny nose
MORE RECENT SYMPTOMS:
7) sudden Palpitations with weaknesss, left chest pain,
fatigue & paleness
8) Behavioral Changes
a) Depression (clinically diagnosed)
b) Apathy
c) Suicidal
d) Physical Agressive Anger

My teenage son was born at a normal birth & height (8 lbs. & 11 oz.). He's had chronic diarrhea most of his life with a lot of flatuation. From birth, he has continually suffered from a lack of appetite with periods of ravenous hunger. He quickly lost ground on the height weight charts and his nose has always run a lot. At 7, he was labeled "failure to thrive" and he was diagnosed with a Hiatal Hernia & Reflux (although he never complained of those symptoms) and had Fundoplication surgery, that year, to correct those. At 10 yrs. old, he tested positive on two sweat tests (nearly a year apart) and, from that, was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. Our CF clinic here has checked and re-checked his lungs and his results are extremely excellent, with no signs of any lung problems, whatsoever! Also, no elevated levels of fat were found in his stools. They also did the DNA screening to find the CF Gene, but none was located. His endrocronologist says our son definitely does not have CF, while the gastroenterologist maintains that he does (we just don't know). At 13 yrs. old, he weighed only 63 lbs. and was about 4' 5". He also had a very bad case of Ecxema which has subsided as the years have past. He now has just very very dry skin.
Our son now has sudden periods of weakness a couple of times a week. These periods include palpitations (rapid heart beats), sweating, left chest pain and paleness of his skin. He has always been a very happy & well adjusted child. Our son has always been very quiet, polite and quite shy. He is very bright and has always been placed in accelerated classes. His vocabulary is advanced, although he talks quite slow & precise and his fine motor skills have generally been quite slow (ie, writing takes him a long time). He was recently hospitalized with depression and two suicide attempts. Most of the time, he seems like his normal happy-go-lucky self, but now, when he feels stress, he has apathy, anger and depression that seem completely out of his control. He is now on 50 mg of Zoloft every day to help him control the depression, but we can't help but believe that the depression is directly related to his physical ailments. We simply do not know what diagnosis he may truly have and are desperate to be led in the right direction for a correct diagnosis, so we can get him the help he needs!
We think that his possible malabsorption is causing a lack of nutrients to his brain and that may be the problem causing his depression. What should we be looking for to find what nutrients he's lacking and how to replace them?
PLEASE!!! If you have any idea what could be causing the physical ailments, please let us know, so that we may research it and steer the doctors in the right direction! Thank you so very much for "listening" to our son's history and for any help you may be able to offer!

Last edited by ricochet1307; 04-27-2006 at 07:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread