It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

H pylori/??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
MAD MAZ
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
H pylori/??

I had a blood test about 10 weeks ago to see if I had the bug and it come back normal,Now today a different doctors is re doing the test again but this time a stool test.I have all the symptoms of the bug ever to feeling nausea everyday for 2 months, I am real worried now that I have it and its now the BIG C has anyone on here ever had blood test come back ok to be told after a re-test that there have it ...Mandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 01:22 AM   #2
MAD MAZ
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
Re: H pylori/??

Bumping up??? Also just to say I have Autoimmune Disease I have a underactive thyroid so I have the Antibodies I am worried that this could have give a false negative,As I have said I have been having realy bad stomach pain and nausea for 10 weeks,Iam scared that I could now have the bug and it could be the (BIG C) I have done a stool test but am also worried that this come back wrong as I am on Lansoprazole, and Domperidone, and Levothyroxine. Can anybody help with this one many thanks ...Mandy

Old 04-27-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
Sharon76
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

hi

I have never had h pylori but heres what i know about the tests.

Most people have the standard blood test done which is 90% accurate but there is another test called the urea breath test, this is 98% accurate. This involves drinking a small amount of urea solution and blowing into a test tube.

The problem with the blood test is that if a person has previously had h pylori and they have another test in a few years, the test can still come back positive years later and it cannot be used comfirm is a person is cured from it.

From information here i would personally ask for the urea test.

Good luck and i wish you both well. I hope it helped

Old 04-27-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
gingertea
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

There are certain drugs and medications that cause the h pylori stool test to come back with a false negative. I would check to see if you are taking one of those......I was diagnosed and 'cured' a year and a half ago, but I still have the same stomach problems.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:03 AM   #5
MAD MAZ
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Thankyou for your replys 2 of the drugs I am on could give a false negative, what was your symptoms, how was you diagnosed??? Did you have the breath test to get the all clear!!! Sharon thanks for your information what is a urea test.... Mandy

Old 04-28-2006, 01:16 AM   #6
Sharon76
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Mandy

The urea breath test is non invasive. It is carried out in the hospitals in the UK, not sure in USA It is a 15 test minute, all that happens is that a person drinks a small amount of the urea solution or take it in capsule form (made up of other ingredients), once it has entered the body's system they then breathe into a test tube like container.

The urea test is based on the ability of H. pylori to break down urea, which is a chemical made up of nitrogen and carbon. If the results show carbon dioxide present then the test is positve.

It is a very simple test that is far more accurate than the blood test.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:08 AM   #7
MAD MAZ
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Thanks Sharon The doctor said to do a stool test, but I think you are right but ther won't do one.... Mandy

Old 04-28-2006, 03:57 AM   #8
Sharon76
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

I know

Unfortunately if we dont pay for it here in the uk we have to go along with the doctor's suggestion.

Its strange really, i mean the tests cost money so wouldnt you think they would go with the most reliable test first?

Anyway, good luck i hope it comes back negative

Old 04-28-2006, 07:17 AM   #9
gingertea
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

My primary care doctor sent me to a gastro doctor. She did an endoscopy/biopsy and that showed the h pylori. I had pain in my upper abdomen that went through to my back, and lots of reflux.

Closed Thread