It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Question?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
birden57
(female)

birden57 HB User
Question?

I am having the endoscopy Wed:
Can anyone tell me anything about it?
I am scared of it so much, It is all I can think of.
and all so the doctor say he wanted to check for a ulcer, can anyone tell me anything about a ulcer?
but more then anything I need to no something about the endoscopy.
thank for reply.
birden

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
kehorner
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Question?

I know it's scary, but it's really no big deal. You'll sleep through the whole thing and not remember anything. You go in and register, then get changed into a gown. Then they check your blood pressure, pulse, temperature. They start an IV (pretty much just feels like getting blood drawn). Then they take you into the room when they are ready for you. Once they start the meds, you'll be out like a light. I remember feeling sort of spinny for about a second, then I woke up in the recovery area. Sat around there for a while, then got the IV out, got dressed, and went home. I slept for about three hours that afternoon. I did have a sore throat that evening and the next day, but throat drops helped that.

So it's really a piece of cake. The hardest part is getting stuck with a needle. After that, you just sleep. I know it's hard not to worry, but try not to.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:40 AM   #3
countrykid
(female)

countrykid HB User

The endoscopy is no big deal. They put you to sleep and there is no pain. The only discomfort is the IV to put you to sleep and possibly just a minor irration in the throat when you wake up.
Sorry haven't (thankfully) had an ulcer so I can't help you ther. I had the endoscopy along with a colonosopy and I too was alittle bit scared. But it wasn't bad at all. I was anxious because I HATE IV's

Old 05-08-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
Ol'Line Rebel
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

It's no big deal now. I had 1 a month ago. They put you to sleep.

The weirdest thing for me was my ARM - I guess the way they put the IV in or something wasn't the best, or the meds do something to me. Even as the IV kicked in I could feel PAIN in my hand and a bit up and down my arm. Then I was knocked out.

When I woke up I could feel some of that pain - and for the next day or so, sort of a numbness/pain through my middle finger and down through most of my lower arm. But it went away.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
diamond79
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Not all places put you to sleep for it--although most do. I was awake for the whole thing. But I still think it was a piece of cake. I would have it done again if I had to. The others explained what happens. Just to add if you are awake, the scope in your stomach feels similar to that "butterfly" feeling you get when you are nervous. It doesn't hurt though--just feels weird.
As for an ulcer, my grandmother had one that was caused by a bacteria called H. Pylori. It is cured by taking antibiotics and PPI's. Usually once the bacteria is eradicated then the ulcer heals. There are other causes of an ulcer like bad diet, smoking, caffeine, and stress.

Good Luck on your endoscopy!

Closed Thread