It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Transportation from Colonoscopy?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
don444
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Question Transportation from Colonoscopy?

My doctor ordered and colonoscopy and endoscopy. My problem is that I am by myself and those that I know are working and unable to provide a ride. The hospital will not allow a taxi to take me home. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2006, 04:23 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Transportation from Colonoscopy?

Do you belong to a church? They quite often have people that will help out in situations like this.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:07 AM   #3
countrykid
(female)

countrykid HB User

I do not know your age but if you are over 50 check with your local senior center. They have people that will help other seniors to get to appointments and such. May be a small fee but it is probably worth it to get your testing done. Ask your insurance carrier they may provide ambulance service for you in this situation. I know where I live there are companies or I should say individuals that provide service for a fee. We also have a helpline that we can call for information on where to find services.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:11 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Or perhaps you could schedule it at a time of day when a friend could pick you up after work?

Old 05-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #5
don444
Senior Veteran
(male)

I confirmed the hosptial's requirements and they not only want someone to take me home but also to stay with me. This is impossible for my situation. However, I did talk with Bayada Nurses and they will provide me with the service I need.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

also to stay with me.

Well, they wanted someone to stay with me after I had my gallbladder out but I didn't do it. And they have no way of knowing...am sure you'll be fine once you home. Just don't try too much walking around...

Old 05-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
kehorner
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Huh... I don't think I needed somebody to stay with me after my endoscopy. My friend got me home and made sure I made it up the stairs okay, then she left. I slept for about three hours after that. I didn't really need anybody to stay with me, though. I was thinking fairly clearly and knew that I shouldn't drive my car or try to play with knives or anything. So I just took it easy.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
wakkochic17
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

my doctor recommended someone stay with me after my endoscopy, but he didn't force the issue. My boyfriend couldn't take the whole day off of work, he just took off the morning to take me there and pick me up. It wound up not mattering since from the meds I went home and slept all afternoon!

Old 05-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #9
don444
Senior Veteran
(male)

I am sure that hospitals are more concerned about protecting themselves than providing care for patients. When they told me I could not have the procedure without another person present I suggested that I stay overnight. They immediately told me that my insurance would not allow that. If I were left to the offerings of the hospital I would of had to cancel the tests. One nurse said in a matter-of-fact tone, “get someone from your church.” I am offended by this episode. By the assumption that I go to church and that I could depend on church members for transportation. That I have surviving relatives. Or that I have friends who can afford to take time off from work. If I don’t meet these conditions I cannot have necessary medical tests. I am sure I am not the only person who finds themselves in this situation.
I had my last colonoscopy in a medical office in the Delaware Valley area and I did have a ride afterwards. The person providing the ride did not stay, but a nurse from the medical office called me later that day and the following morning.
I retired to Hickory, NC, Catawba County and the two local hospitals offered no suggestions regarding transportation. Both hospitals allowed me to walk away with no test. Through my efforts alone did I find transportation via a nursing agency at a substantial out of pocket cost. My tests are now scheduled.
BTW, in my home town of Phila******a I had a cardiac catherization. The hospital performing the tests had a mini van pick me up and take me home.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:51 AM   #10
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

When I had my gallbladder out last year, I just had someone drop me off and then we called another friend to come pick me up. The hospital thought she was going to stay with me but she didn't. They just want to make sure if anything happens someone is there to call the doctor...sort of covering their rears.

Closed Thread