It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
(female)

countrykid HB User
PIPIDA Scan...Anyone had this test...

I went to see the gastro dr yesterday...He has referred me for a PIPIDA Scan. I have read alot on this board about the HIDA Scan. Has anyone had a PIPIDA Scan? The scheduling rep asked if it was dynamtic or just a PIPIDA Scan. I am not sure what to expect. I was talking with the dr and thought we were discussing me having a Hida Scan because my ultrasound showed no stones in my gallbladder. I understand the test is also done in nuclear medicine. I am not sure what to expect. IV or just an injection. I've had nuclear tests done before for other parts of my body but it was always done by just an injection.

The Following User Says Thank You to countrykid For This Useful Post:
gizzmo4222 (06-19-2012)
Old 05-17-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
(female)

quenterry0 HB User
Re: PIPIDA Scan...Anyone had this test...

Here is something I found on the net. I hope this helps...

You will be injected intravenously with a small amount of a radioactive isotope. There is no reaction to this isotope. You will then lie on a table and the nuclear medicine camera will be above you. The camera tracks the isotope as it moves through your system. Scanning time is a minimum of one hour. The radiologist (the doctor who interprets the scan) may ask for additional views. This is completely normal and is requested to provide your physician with a more comprehensive report.

It sounds like just an injection - With the HIDA scan they put an IV in so they don't have to inject you twice if you have the CCK. ( I think )

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Teresa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
(female)

countrykid HB User

Well I went for this scan this morning. I had a quick thinking tech and he called the dr office for clarification on exactly why only a PIPIDA scan was requested after he viewed my ultrasound. They faxed a new script for the complete (Dynamic) PIPIDA. It's a HIDA Scan just another term for the same scan. I had an IV inserted (there's where I got really anxious and had to be laid down---I HATE IV's)and was given first a injection of the nuclear meds through the IV. I stood infront of a camera which took a 2 minute picture of the stuff being absorbed by my body...then I went to the waiting area..then every 15 minutes I was asked to come back in and stand again for another 2 minute scan. After about 1 hour and 15 minutes that part was done and I went and laid down where the tech then put an IV drip of another substance to make my gallbladder constrict. I laid with the camera on my abdomen for 1 hour. I did experience some discomfort about 1/2 way through that portion of the test. It wasn't bad except for the darn IV and my hands were freezing!!!!
So I get the results from the dr next Wed 5/24.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
(female)

quenterry0 HB User

I'm glad it went well for you minus the IV and freezing hands!

That is somewhat different from when they did my HIDA scan.

Good Luck!!!

Closed Thread