It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2001, 09:23 AM   #1

mrsal1234 HB User
Unhappy Help please, stomach problems and more

Hello, I really need some help and advice. You see, I have been suffering for the last 7 years with an illness that has basically ruined my life, and kept me from accomplishing many things I would have hoped to accomplish by this point in my life. And now I fear if I donít receive some answers soon, my life will certainly fall apart. Itís been a very hard time for my family and me. I have been to many doctors, taken many tests, only to be told that nothing wrong can be found, or I worry about my health too much, Iím to young to be there, etc. It is such a hard thing to deal with, feeling so terrible, and no one really understanding how I feel. I just am tired of being sick, and want to accomplish much more in my life and give my wife and kids a secure and happy life with me. By the way I am a 29 year old male, weigh 174 pounds, I donít smoke, until recently occasionally drank.

I have been to several doctors, taken many different kinds of tests and blood tests t no avail. Only very recently I was diagnosed with severe Gastric reflux disease. I have an appointment with a Gastrointestinal
Doc next week. But I know the Gastric reflux is just another symptom of whatever Iím up against. Last June I suffered for 3 weeks with a damn kidney stone, this is probably not related to anything else as far as I know. Back in 1990 I had an MRI of my lower back and was diag with a herniated disk and degenerative arthritis in lumbar region. Docs said I was real young to have the problem, but I donít know the significance of it, if any.

Symptoms mainly began about seven years ago with the stomach problems, then a few months later muscle fascillations/spasms. From there, everything else progressed to where I am currently. I originally thought I might have lyme disease, because I lived in NY and had spent much of my life outdoors, camping, hiking, gardening, etc. I could also remember many times as a child, having to get ticks removed from my head. But I took a lyme disease blood test and it was negative. Then there were times I thought I had MS, or other neurological diseases. I have also wondered if the cause of my problems could be more centered on my stomach. My symptoms did start there, and stomach problems are a major player in the symptoms I experience. I have read a lot about food sensitivities, candida, etc. My doc does not seem to want to listen to what I have to say about any of these things. Something is really fishy here, I have noticed that certain foods do make specific symptoms worse. I do find that eating any type of pasta will make heart palps and anxiety worse the next day. Sugar seems to make things worse on a delayed basis. And there are many more suspicions to numerous to include here. The problem is that I eat many of the same types of foods on a daily basis. I have tried to cut certain foods from diet, but did not help. And I did not do it for long. I also canít seem to stay away from sweets. That all aside I canít see how the muscle spasms and heart palps can be caused by a stomach problem.

I really need some help here. I currently live in Fort Myers, FL. I am looking for and advice on what might be wrong with me, recommended doctors in my area, web resources, specific tests which might help, or just anything that can help. I have listed my symptoms below.

My current symptoms:
All began about 7 years ago.

Nausea, bloating, upset stomach. Especially after meals, or in mornings, nausea most of the time. There are times when drinking a glass of water makes me nauseous. Also when I donít eat for a while I get very nauseous. (nausea, upset stomach was the first symptom I felt and remains one of the worst)

Muscle Fascillations. These happen sporadically and I have had them in just about every muscle in my body, especially arms and legs. Seem worse when lying down to rest or sleep and in morning. Also made worse in arms and legs when stretching. Also get a very annoying tic often that seems to be in my eardrum, happens if my head is turned a certain way and sometimes goes on forever( this was the next symptom in line about six years ago along with fatigue)

Gas, hiccups sometimes after eating.

Congestion in middle and lower throat, a foul or rotten taste coming from area of congestion when swallowing. Sometimes feeling of liquid draining in lower throat.

Sinus problems, stuffy nose in morning.

Sometimes a general discomfort or sick feeling in upper chest.

Fatigue, muscle fatigue easily, weakness, lack of energy and motivation.

Tightness in chest, sometimes.

Shakiness

Nervousness

Light headedness, headache, light sensitivity. At times I become extremely sensitive to light, and very light headed.

Lower Back pain, joint pain. Restlessness at times, especially in arms and legs.

Swollen gums, cold sores( I used to get about 2 outbreaks of cold sores a month, have not had one for a few months now). Also, now that I recall, my first cold sore outbreak occurred about 6 months or so prior to other symptoms. And it was a hell of an outbreak, I had blisters from my nose to chin.

Craving for sweets, and I do mean craving!

Mood swings, irritability, and depression at times.

Difficulty with concentration, forget easily, brain fog.

Slurred speech. Worse when other symptoms are worse.

The following started a few of months ago :

Heart palpitations, arrhythmia disturbances. Feel like flutters, thumps. Happen often, seems like certain movements, foods, or other stimuli trigger them. Physical exertion almost always triggers them. Lying down also triggers them, especially when going to bed at night. Even bending forward seems to make them worse. ( palpitation problems began last fall )

Pain in upper chest, sometimes extends to back.

Pain in center of my neck to the base of my neck. Sometimes made worse after eating or bending forward.

Heartburn, burning or sore throat often.

Feeling of food getting caught in throat during meals. This happens just below my adams apple, mostly on the left side.

Sometimes an acidy taste in mouth.

sometimes feelings of anxiety void of any reason to have anxiety. Can be severe feelings emanating from the chest area. Short lived.

The only other thing I can add is my past history relating to when I was a child to early teen years. There was a period of several years when at times I used to suffer terrible headaches and felt under the weather, no energy. I remember one summer I spent most of my vacation lying around with headaches and no energy. In fact, I spent the early school years in special ed classes because I could not keep up with the other kids. They said I had a learning disability. I recall being in school, there were times I had little energy and had horrible headaches and could not concentrate. I remember going to the doctor often, and they never could find anything wrong, except they mentioned at times that there was evidence of a virus or my body fighting a virus, something like that. I also recall a period where I had bad burning when I urinated, it lasted for months, doc could not find a reason, they gave me pills that stopped the burning and turned urine dark purple. I donít know if any of this has any significance to my current problems. Maybe someone out there has had a similar history and can give more insight on it all.

Again, thank you for any help.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 09-12-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2001, 02:14 PM   #2

dberry HB User
I too have many of the problems that you described. Mine started almost 9 years ago with bad headaches and migraines which I still suffer with today. I was put on prevacid in '96 for a year which actually turned out to be my gallbladder which I then had removed. For the past year I have been on prevacid again then started having alump in my throat,heart palps.,dry,scatchy,sore throat,joint pain and muscle weakness,poor concentration,disoriented,lightheadednes s,and very clumsy and always dropping things. I can ask my husband something and 5 min. later ask him the same question. Sometimes I just can't understand what people are saying to me. This is not normal for me. I have always been in control of my life and now I feel out of control. I feel 80 yrs. old and I'm only 34. I have no answers for you but maybe someone out there does. Hang in there! I hope we both find what we are looking for. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2001, 03:50 PM   #3

maggiejon HB User
Hey. I have had some of the same symptoms.
I used to have horrible headaches. Now i have been diagnosed with GERD and Panic disorder; however, no tests were given to diagnose the GERD. I think it might be an ulcer.
I am on zoloft for the panic disorder.
Have you tried an anti-depressant?
To be honest with you, I was obsessed with my health, meaning if one thing didn't feel right, I obsessed about it, until everything
was wrong with me. I became depressed - that is when I began having panic attacks.
Once I went on zoloft, I felt a major difference. Prilosec helped with the gerd some, but i still have that "lump in my throat" feeling.
Anyway, I can understand how frustrating and devastating all of this can be. My recommendation is to get on some sort of anti-depressant/anxiety medicine to help you through this, so you don't drive yourself crazy. And when you go to the Doctor - BE PERSISTENT. make suggestions.
Sometimes I wonder if they know anything at all - doctors.
Anyway - Have faith!! and it will all work out.

Old 03-26-2001, 05:37 PM   #4

dberry HB User
I did the anti-depressant thing and it did not take away my headaches. It's wonderful that it did work for you and also another person I know. As for the rest of us there is some other underlying problem that our drs. can't find or don't really care to. The only thing we have is hope that one day we can lead a normal life.

Old 03-27-2001, 06:10 PM   #5
(female)

confetti HB User
Hi, I do have similar symptoms that you describe...especially the stomach problems. This started sometime last year, getting very debilitating in August 2000. Do you mind if I ask you what medicines or supplements have you tried for your stomach (i.e., enzymes or antibiotics)?

Thanks...

Old 04-01-2001, 04:12 PM   #6

karlotta HB User
First, I would suggest strongly that you have a full thyroid panel blood test done. Then if the test results are normal, look into food intolerances. Have you ever heard of Celiac disease? It's a food intolerance to all gluten, and it causes systemic problems that have common symptoms, but also include a basic set of symptoms. I have it, and it took years of my doctors not finding anything wrong, and implying that I was a hypocondriac before it was found. Even if you get the antibody test for it and the test results are negative, I would go to the Celiac sites on the internet and try the diet for a month. (The antibody tests for food intolerances are few and far in between and often give false negative responses.) Food intolerances are very tricky because we have so much processed food in our diets, and gluten is used in processed food in so many ways. If that helps you, you might also look into other food intolerances. I became increasingly disabled over a period of 12 years until I was partially bedridden and when I was able to work, I worked at home. Now, I feel very good. I've had to eliminate several food groups from my diet:
all cereal grains but rice and flax (including corn), all dairy, all legumes, and several other individual foods. I doubt that you would have to go that far, but I'd surely try this path.

Old 04-01-2001, 05:08 PM   #7

royalarrival HB User
Hi
I have some symtoms that you have. They took my gall badder out. felt fine for 2 weeks and now suffer constant chest pain around my sternum area. I to am getting the run around from the doctors. I've been doing my on research to suggest possible cause of problem to my doctor. my step mother told me about intolerance to certain foods and to check that area out. I already know I'm lactose intolerant. she mentioned something about intolerance to bread and cereal food groups. something with digesting glucose. basically the body can't digest the glucose substance that is needed to be broken down the breads, cereal, pastas, etc.. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get tested on intolerance to food to see if that could be some of the problem.. it might not be all of the problem. but if there is an intolerance that you are suffering at least those symtoms could be resolved..
good luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to royalarrival:
VAvic (01-07-2012)
Old 04-10-2001, 09:38 PM   #8

BonBon HB User
Lightbulb

I have severe gastroparesis and GERD. I suspect that you also have gastroparesis which is delayed emptying of the stomach. Symptoms are nausea, bloat, excessive burping, feeling full after only a few bites, etc. There is a gastric emptying test which is used to diagnose gastroparesis.
If you do in fact have this, there is a medicine, Reglan which should help. Unfortunately for me I am allergic to it. I have many other health issues including severe asthma which is aggravated by both the gastroapresis which in turn makes the GERD worse. I tend to wake up unable to breath from the reflux. I have already had two nissen procedures to surgically correct the GERD; but it has slipped again. The surgeons will not do the nissen procedure a third time as the severe asthma cough I get will most likely cause it to slip again. Instead, they have opted for removing most of my stomach, redirecting the bile ducts and thus eliminate the cause of the reflux happening (both from acid in the stomach and bile refluxing) and also eliminate the problem of delayed stomach emptying. After extensive research, I have found that I am the exception and not the rule. Most nissen procedures work for the rest of your life adn all of my other health issues make my case more complex. I do believe you can be helped if diagnosed correctly. I would advise asking your doctor about the possibility of gastroparesis. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2005, 02:58 AM   #9
(male)

Strider777 HB User
Re: Help please, stomach problems and more

I know this is an old thread but I hope some people are still finding it and reading, every symptom thats been described here I've suffered with starting out with the stomach/digestive probs.
I've been through tons of lab tests, diet, stress, and living changes to no avail. It seems doctors are making guesses every time I seek out medical help, everything from gall bladder probs, gastroparesis, crohn's disease, lyme disease, fibromyalgia, food allergies, thyroid disfunctions, lacking of digestive enzymes, you name it.
Through it all NONE of the suggested causes and or treatments have done anything for me, I've even thought of poisoning arsenic etc by chance or evil intent, still nothing.
My best guess is considering I can name at least five people without thinking on it that have the same symptoms is that something in the food we eat, must be a neurotoxin, I'm pulling at straws I know but come on docs Idiopathic is for idiots, there has to be something going on that in the last 20 years or so there are so many people with all these ailments that defy test and explanation.

Please if anyone makes a discovery share it with as many people as you can, I feel like there are lots out there that have these symptoms and just give up looking for a cure. If everyone can find common factors that we all have maybe an answer can be found

Old 09-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

aslo HB User

I have similar symptoms and my life has also been ruined for over a year. Mine started with intestinal symptoms though, but through it all, i have pressure discomfort in the solar plexus and under left rib area. After months, i developed neuropathy symptoms, muscle twitches, burning feet. I belch constantly, nausea, always too soft stool.
This has cost me my business and i fear im losing my family as well. And yes, lots of panic disorder and depression. I am constantly in pain.
g.i. scope, colonoscopy, ultrasound, small bowel series, stool studies, bloodwork and more all negative.
I need a miracle.

Old 09-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #11
(female)

calandar HB User

Aslo, do you have a naturopathic physician in your area? I feel sure s/he could give you some very different insights into your pain than would a medical man. Would you consider consulting a naturopath?

Old 09-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

aslo HB User

I would, ive seen quite a few alternative doctors as well. But i do have doubts about some of the alternative things as well, theyre very much into yeast overgrowth, supplements and such. Im in dire straights and i dont know what is doing what and since i wouldnt have the utmost confidence it might not help.
Sorry for the negatives, im at an all time low.
thanks

Old 09-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #13
(male)

Strider777 HB User

I'm begining to think a lot along the lines of the preservatives in food being a possible cause, what we all really need is a good lab and some out of the box thinking, there has to be some common factor thats causeing this stuff, and the term idiopathic is getting to be one of my real stress triggers, if someone lucks up and finds a doctor who can think beyond the common stuff and start looking into more broad a set of commonalities maybe there is something that can be found that everyone has exposure to or something, as far as getting the miracle if I find one I'll glady share it, beyond morphene i havent found anything that will get the pain under controll, and most doctors wont let you have that unless you've got cancer or something, even then most people cant function with the morphene.

If I could just find a way to keep at least one aspect of my life from being affected that would be something in itself, as spouse's and kids just dont understand how bad you end up feeling after a meal, you cant just go out and eat then go to all these other places shopping etc cause you know as soon as that food hits bottom, your on a doomsday clock, never knowing how severe the pain will be or the need to find a clean toliet where you can groan in pain without feeling weird about people in public restrooms.

If you have the weakness and loss of energy that I do try some liquid ginseng at times it really helps out, i use the liquid because the tablets wont digest quickly enough to help me as it can 18 hours or more that they will sit in my stomach.

there is a support group on yahoo for gastroparesis that may be helpful idk i have just signed up.

Sorry I cant be more helpful, but I'm sure your used to hearing that from plenty of people.

If you dont mind my asking and this is off the wall here. Do you notice a pattern that the foods that make the most trouble are the types you crave the most to the point its an act of god not to eat them, and do you see a pattern that the worse the pain is the more hungry you feel???
I do on both

Old 10-15-2005, 11:57 PM   #14

olderlady HB User

Many of the symptoms you all are talking about I had ten years ago. Anxiety, horrible stomach problems,muscle spasms, and weakness. I finally found out that I have pernicious anemia. Most doctors don't routinely check your b12 count which is the source of the problem.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:09 PM   #15
(male)

Perry2 HB User

You have a huge number of symptoms. Most of them are clearly not related to each other and a lot of what I think is going on is psychological in origin. Not that the things aren't there but anxiety makes your mind run with some of the symptoms. Especially stuff like a racing heart. Anyone with perceived health issues is vulnerable to this. You become hypersensitive to the twinges and workings of your own body.

When I was convinced I had heart problems I would wake up at 5am scared to death with a pounding heart. Or sitting on a couch after supper and feeling the digestion and the pulse from the blood flow around the stomach and again my heart would start racing. Only when I received medical advice that the heart was fine did these things stop being an issue, and quite suddenly. I stopped paying attention to these minutae and my anxiety stopped blowing them out of proportion.

I think you have a group of real symptoms that you need to deal with and anxiety causing some other symptoms. Stress gives me stomach pain. I have been on Prevacid and a slightly restricted diet for a couple of years but when I thought the ticker was bad the stomach was bad most of the time. My father in law recently was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor and that got me thinking about my own health. What if the stomach problems are more than just a peptic ulcer and a sensitive digestive tract? Except I am noticing the bad stomach I have this last week feels suspiciously like it did during my "heart problem" days.

I think with worry, a person becomes more sensitive and more in touch with the goings on in their body, but not in a good way. You feel every tiny little thing and start recording it as a symptom of something being wrong. The anxiety driven issues get mixed up with the true correctable medical issues and have you unable to focus on the things that you need to correct.
As others have mentioned consider Celiac or Lactose intollerance if you haven't already, or Pernicious Anemia. If it hasn't already been mentioned looked into Magnesium supplements.

Good luck and try not to stress out.

Last edited by Perry2; 10-20-2005 at 12:13 PM.

Closed Thread