It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2001, 09:34 AM   #1

Matt L HB User
Question Alcohol causes arm pain and feeeling of throat lump

Hi, sorry it's long but I need help.

Last September I started feeling pains in my left shoulder and left arm (like a heart attack without chest pains). After about three weeks, I had put it together that regardless of where or when, I only got these pains when I drank something alcoholic. Since then the pain has gotten considerably worse and occurs with a few minutes of drinking something. And in addition to this almost dehabilitating pain, I frequently have a little difficulty breathing and swallowing spit. It feels like either there is something in my throat or my throat has gotten narrower. The throat thing was never bad enough that it caused me to worry, but now I'm thinking that it might be a symptom of whatever is causing the pain.

I'm not really sure what heartburn is, so as far as I know, I don't get it. As for reflux, I recall feeling somethign acidic come up everyonce in a while, but I can't recall if it happened in relation to drinking.

My doctor has no clue what is wrong, and a cervical MRI showed nothing, which rules out a spinal problem.

A few days ago someone was telling me that they had pains associated with some foods and carbonated beverages and it turned out to be a food problem and something called "displaced pain" or something to that effect.

Also there is another person on this board that has the arm pain and a chest pain when she drinks beer, but I can't get a hold of her to find out what she knows.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be so that I could hint at my doctor to try looking into it? I go next week for some antibody tests and also some nerve signal test, but he's just doing them to make sure he can rule them out.....

And I really don't want to give up alcohol. I'm a guy who travels to wineries to taste their releases, has a subscription to Wine Spectator and is on a first name basis with my beer distributor.

Sorry it's so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2001, 11:09 AM   #2

janda2001 HB User
When I would have a gallbladder attack, it would feel like a squeezing feeling in my chest that would radiate through my arm, very much like what people say a heart attack feels like.

It was also definatly aggrivated by alcohol...

Closed Thread