It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2001, 09:39 PM   #1

BonBon HB User
Post Gastroparesis, GERD and Asthma

I have severe gastroparesis, GERD, asthma, and numerous other health problems. I have had two nissen procedures to correct the GERD. The first slipped or "failed" due to my asthma and bronchitis with a hard cough. The second nissen failed due to improper or excessive lifting. My surgeon said that they just released a study that shows that excessive or improper lifting can cause the nissen wrap to slip. I am allergic to Reglan which is the drug of choice to help the gastroparesis. I wake up not being able to breath due to the reflux which is made worse by the gastroparesis. I have not been able to get the symptoms under control with medications. My surgeon will not do a third nissen procedure as he feels that with my asthma, and the hard cough I get, that the nissen wrap would eventually fail again. He has come up with an alternate surgery he believes changes the success rate for the rest of my life from 30 % to 90 %. However, it is major surgery that will involve removing 2/3 of my stomach, and re-routing the bile ducts. This will eliminate the cause of the acid reflux and bile refluxing. Additionally, it will correct the delayed stomadch emptying problem. It will change my life and forever alter my eating as I will have to eat a special diet and be careful to monitor that I don't become dehydrated nor malnourished; but compared to the alternative of doing nothing it is better. I am now on family medical leave as I can no longer work a full day as I am constantly getting dehydrated, sick, or feel nausea all of the time. Additionally, my asthma has not been under control in a long time. Has anyone else gone through anything like this??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2001, 10:33 PM   #2

luckygirl HB User
Hi BonBon,
I can't address the asthma problems you are having, but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone with the gastroparesis. I have it in addition to Gerd, and now I found out I have gallstones too. It is really difficult to know what causes my pain - lol. I am able to take Reglan - sorry you couldn't. I don't like the side effects, but it helps.

I am curious hearing about the surgery your doc wants to do. I was concerned about the Nissen procedure since what I read it was not really a good procedure for patients having gastroparesis. Did you notice any relief (or problems) after the Nissen procedure in relation to the gastroparesis, or just relief of the Gerd symptoms?

Do you know the name of the procedure your doc wants to do? Sorry so many questions, it is not often that I have run across someone that has gastroparesis to discuss it with.

I am sick of feeling sick all the time - I know you can relate. I am sick of taking pills all the time. I would like some permanent relief of this, and after reading your post it sounds like there might be a procedure that addresses both issues in one.

Take good care -

luckygirl

[This message has been edited by luckygirl (edited 04-11-2001).]

Old 04-17-2001, 07:48 PM   #3

luckygirl HB User
Bonnie,
I just got back here this evening and I see you had surgery today. Yes, that does sound like a major procedure, but it sounds like you are in good hands. I hope everything turns out great for you. Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing when you feel like it.

luckygirl

[This message has been edited by luckygirl (edited 04-17-2001).]

Closed Thread