It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2001, 02:52 AM   #1

Rebecca492 HB User
Question Pain in rib area.......

I have begun having this symptom. It begins under the rib cage on the left and goes to high mid abdomen. It is constant but not severe just bothersome. My PCP switched me to Nexium last week. At first I thought it was related to the medication switching but now I am not for sure. Anyone have this symptom?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2001, 11:16 PM   #2
Inactive

HalleyJ HB User
I have had left side backpain and rib pain for about a year. When to chiropracor because of back pain. My dr. couldn't see me for 3 weeks. I visited the chiropracotor for 1 1/2 months. After the last treatment, my whole upper left side hurt. He said it was muscles I hadn't used. I went to urgent care and they said my ribs were broken. Then my doctor said they never were broken. He said inflamation of the cartaledge in rib area. I've had several months of pain pills and anti-inflamatories. I still hurt. I have at spine x-rays & MRI, lung scan. Last week my doctor said I would have to live with it. I hope you get more results than I did. Halley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2001, 03:58 AM   #3

Rebecca492 HB User
I have had this pain now for about two weeks. I think it is switching from the prilosec to the nexium. I additionally have begun to have severe gagging in the mornings with dry heaves. I am supposed to call the doctor this next Monday to let her know my progression. (or lack of it)

Old 01-10-2004, 07:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User
Re: Pain in rib area.......

I have had a pain in my upper left rib cage area as well. I have not been to the dr yet. It is sore when I press on the rib bone. Is this what you guys are describing? Could this be stomach related?

Last edited by moderator4; 01-11-2004 at 10:08 AM.

Old 01-10-2004, 07:47 PM   #5
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetersquirt
I have had a pain in my upper left rib cage area as well. I have not been to the dr yet. It is sore when I press on the rib bone. Is this what you guys are describing? Could this be stomach related?
I have posted about having rib pain but didn't get too many responses. I knew it was a common problem but couldn't understand why so many people read my post yet didn't respond.

Anyway, I have pain in my ribs all the time on both sides. I was told by two doctors that it is excess gas in the colon causing the rib pain. I was told to try those over the counter gas medications, but it isn't really helping. I did have my GB out last year, but the rib pain is worse now than it was before. I do believe it is a gastro problem, although my doctor doesn't seem concerned that it is anything serious. I have lived like this for many months and I guess if it continues, I will have to talk to the doctor about maybe a prescription drug to help with the gas. I also get more sore when I press on the rib bone area. Eating definitely has an effect on how sore my ribs will be as well. If anyone has any answers to this problem, I would love to know what they are.

Old 01-11-2004, 01:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Stacil320 can you describe what the pain feels like?If its sore when you press on it it could be an ulcer,or inflamed stomach.If its an ulcer the pain could radiate to your whole stomach.Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaciL320
I have posted about having rib pain but didn't get too many responses. I knew it was a common problem but couldn't understand why so many people read my post yet didn't respond.

Anyway, I have pain in my ribs all the time on both sides. I was told by two doctors that it is excess gas in the colon causing the rib pain. I was told to try those over the counter gas medications, but it isn't really helping. I did have my GB out last year, but the rib pain is worse now than it was before. I do believe it is a gastro problem, although my doctor doesn't seem concerned that it is anything serious. I have lived like this for many months and I guess if it continues, I will have to talk to the doctor about maybe a prescription drug to help with the gas. I also get more sore when I press on the rib bone area. Eating definitely has an effect on how sore my ribs will be as well. If anyone has any answers to this problem, I would love to know what they are.
That is funny that you say this because I have tons of excess gas in the colon. I had no idea that this could cause my rib pain. It only hurts when I press on it.

Another thing a nurse told me to do is stop wearing bras with under wire...I know it sounds weird but the wire presses my rib bone all day and really irritates it. I stopped yesterday and have had no problems yet.

Old 01-11-2004, 10:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: Pain in rib area.......

I think your pain is caused by muscle spasms in your back that is radiating around your rib cage.

Magnesium supplement taken 3 times daily inceases the absorption and is certainly worth tring!!!

Old 01-12-2004, 05:59 AM   #9
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyshop1
Stacil320 can you describe what the pain feels like?If its sore when you press on it it could be an ulcer,or inflamed stomach.If its an ulcer the pain could radiate to your whole stomach.Hope this helps.

Hi! It is hard to describe the pain I feel since it varies. I wouldn't say it is doubling over pain, but more of an annoyance. It definitely hurts more if I press on my ribs than if I don't. Otherwise it is just something I am aware of but usually not bad. Sometimes it is to the left side, sometimes to the right, sometimes on both sides or sometimes right under the breast bone. It kind of travels around, making me believe it is probably gas like the doctor said.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:02 AM   #10
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetersquirt
That is funny that you say this because I have tons of excess gas in the colon. I had no idea that this could cause my rib pain. It only hurts when I press on it.

Another thing a nurse told me to do is stop wearing bras with under wire...I know it sounds weird but the wire presses my rib bone all day and really irritates it. I stopped yesterday and have had no problems yet.

Maybe it really is muscular with you if your condition has improved just by not wearing under wire bras. Sometimes bras make it worse for me as well since they tend to dig in the area that is sore.

If the problem is gas related excess gas in the colon could account for the rib pain considering the colon is right around the area where the ribs would be. Gas gets trapped in the colon by the ribs, causing the pain. Do you ever get shoulder blade pain? This is called referred pain and I was told gas can travel up there as well. It is common with GB problems, but I don't have a GB and still get it at times.

Old 01-13-2004, 02:11 PM   #11

carebear73 HB User

You might want to look into a condition called costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome. It is inflammation of the cartlidge between the ribs. It hurts when the ribs are pressed on. I have had this twice now. Just a thought

Old 04-29-2004, 09:42 AM   #12

STIGMATA666 HB User

yep i have the same problem for prob almost as year now.on and off i have a dull ache under myy left rib that comes and goes.and sometimes a sharp pain.when i press my ribs they r sometimes sore or feel bruised.i have no idea what causes this problem.some of the stomach is under the left rib so it could be related to that. i have been to the doctor about it.but think it is nothing serious.i saw a gastoenterologist but he said the ribs sometimes can become inflamed.(i mentioned this problem in another post called "left sore breast") becaUSE I DIDNT KNOW IF my achy breast was related to the rib problem....but ive had no replys so i guess no on knows.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

I also had pain under my left rib. I had a colonoscopy and the doc found an ulcer right where the splenic flexure is in the colon right in the exact area I had the pain.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:35 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

I've had URQ pain for a year now and I still haven't found a cause that can be treated. I have been told it's IBS which I totally disagree with and costochondritis which is puzzling since it doesn't feel like it's in my ribs but just below. However, the pain has moved onto my side and back (all right sided an di s in the ribs) over the last month but the docs still haven't changed their dx since I have had so many tests not showing anything. Very frustrating thing to go through.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:23 PM   #15
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

The rib pain is something that is very puzzling and I have had it for over a year now. Some people say it is trapped gas in the colon and others say it is muscular or maybe a combo of both. I was also told it could be cosco, an inflammation of the rib cage. I just hope and pray it is nothing serious. My bowel movements are very irregular going from one extreme to another which is a symptom of IBS, but I don't know how the rib pain fits it. In a way it is good to read that others have the rib pain since it makes me feel more sure that we can't all have a horrible life threatening disease.

Closed Thread