It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #76

jensmitty HB User
Re: Pain under left breast and rib cage,,,could this be gas related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescaredest
Hi thanks Jen for the response.

What is weird about my two symptoms (throat/pain under left rib) is that that is all there is. I guess it is good, don't get me wrong...better that then tons of aches and pains. My systems seem to be working fine (no constipation, dirrehea, cramps) in both areas (no bladder infections, kidney infections, pain/blood with urination). Sometimes I get dull aches in my kidney areas but that is about it.

I have been keeping a food journal of everything I eat and drink (I have been since May of 2004) and near as I can tell nothing seems to make it worse or better. I do know that I am drinking at ton of water (150-200 oz a day) but that could be a side effect of the Prednisone. I did contact my doc when the throat started to hurt and he gave me Amoxicillan (which did nothing for me). I gave up caffenine 4 years ago, don't drink juice, can't drink alcohol due to the Methorexate. I have never smoked and I am not a big fan on acid fruits so I don't have to worry about that too much.

It is hard to tell if my upper chest hurts because of the RA or this new pain. It sometimes wraps around my chest into my back.

My rhuemy doc called me back today after my visit with him yesterday. He said after realizing how much pain i was in when he touched me that maybe the Bextra is getting to my stomach. I am going to get off of that for a few days to see how that goes. He seems to think my throat is irratated due to the RA--I don't know though.

Good news is I began seeing an alternative med doc. He is having me run a bunch of tests right now. I see him again of Friday and we are going to discuss my diet and nutrition. So I may hear some of your great advice from him too! I will let you know what he has to say.

Thanks for sharing--thank you thank you!
I understand all of your confusion that is going on with you. I have a rib fibroid which I can't find anything on the internet about it. I can only find uterine fibroids. I guess I should have asked my rheumatologist when she diagnosed them. My pain wraps around my ribs under breast right side to the right back side. I know some of the symptoms were from the Interstitial Cystitis and some from the Fibromyalgia. Do you know anything about rib fibroids? I noticed you said that you had RA, what were your symptoms? I don't mean all of the questions, I am just curious. My hips hurt and my back hurts and I don't know if it is all because of the Fibromyalgia or not. Good luck with your new dr, hopefully they will get everything taken care of so you aren't suffering. Talk to you soon.

God Bless,
Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 07:42 PM   #77

thescaredest HB User

Hi!

Don't apologize for asking questions. I feel like that is all I do is say my symptoms and ask questions now days.

I am guessing that the back pain is Fibro but hey I am no doc so I don't know. It is a good thing you have a Rhuemy doc because more than likely (hopefully anyway) he/she has done tests to rule in and out things. Maybe you said that before--although just because your tests read one thing doesn't always make it so.

My first symptom was my thumb was swollen, stiff, and red at the knuckle. It then went to finger to finger then to the other hand. I thought I was going crazy. Then it went to my feet, knees, elbows, shoulders, jaw....I could barely walk. I came down with the first symptom in May and by mid/late July was in that condition and positively id for RA. What my Rheumy doc has told me is that RA doesn't so much effect the back...the neck yes and hips. But it likes smaller joints....generally.

I will tell you that the pain I am having in my shoulders a times and shoulder blades is much different then the RA pain. I can tell a big difference....I even told my doc.

I tried to look up rib fibroid and couldn't find anything either. I looked up all sorts of stomach problems and I just don't fit them. I only have my two symptoms--it is just too weird.

I hope your back feels better....take some baths, go swimming and talk to you later.

Old 09-20-2004, 07:48 PM   #78

wolfie05 HB User

I too have that same thing. I'm only 21 years old and I take care of myself. I eat right, excersie and all that. I haven't been to the Doc, because I just thought it was gas.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:56 PM   #79

LADYRET HB User

I have these exact same pains, but they are on my right side. They also radiate into my ribs and upper back. They start in the morning in my epigastric region, right under my right breast and travel all the way across to my right ribcage and around to my upper back. Its more like a burning in the beginning, then as the day wears on, they get duller and will go down my right lower quadrant of my abdomen. At first my doctor said I had a Hiatal Hernia and an ulcer, now he says its a spastic colon. He gave me Zelnorm and Nexium and they have helped alot, but it doesn,t get rid of the pain totally. Its been over 3 weeks and I,m already sick of this.

Old 09-25-2004, 06:53 AM   #80

jensmitty HB User

Has anyone who is experiencing these pains taken the prescription drug phentermine (Adipex). This is a diet drug in the same class as the phen-phen. I was just wanting to know if it might be related to this drug.

Jennifer

Old 09-27-2004, 03:19 PM   #81
(female)

Toodle HB User

Wow, other people who appear to have the same problem as me. It all started about 7 1/2 months ago the night I delivered my baby. I got this severe pain (hours before the delivery or labor began) below my left breat in the ribcage that bore thru to my back in that area. I've had this pain every single day since then. My entire ribcage on the left side is sore as well. The pain on the front side under my left breast comes & goes (feels like someone is scratching me inside) but the pain in the back in that area is always there & it hurts bad (like a really deep grab I guess). It is tender all along the ribcage in the front back & side. I don't know how much more I can take. I've been told it's costochondritis, but wouldn't it have subsided by now? Also have pain going into my armpit & down my left arm. And have pain in my flank areas (mid back & sides down to hip) most severe on the left side, but happens on the right side too. I've had 4 CT scans, a bone scan, a full heart workup (treadmill thallium stress test). I've had an IVP & sonogram of the kidneys as well. They say they are ok. Blood tests so far show they are functioning normally, but I can't help but wonder if there is something wrong with them. No burning with urination but the flank area has many tender spots that can be pressed and feel like lumps although I see no swelling. My doc said she thinks it's muscleoskeletal. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 months ago. Don't know if this is from the fibro or something more serious. Can't take this rib pain or the flank pain. Was on bedrest for 1 1/2 months before delivering due to high blood pressure that turned to preeclampsia. Delivered baby 1 month early. Can't help but wonder if the bed rest having to be on left side constantly had baby pushed up into my ribcage & damaged something. Don't know what to have them check. Have had MRI of spine & neck & showed no pinched nerve or disk deformity off of spinal cord. Any suggestions anyone, the pain is agonizing. By the way, have just had upper scope & colonoscopy. Only thing found was esophagus irritation from my reflux and a polyp in my stomach which they removed & dr said it looked benign & everything else looked fine. Will go in a week for the final results of the biopsies. I was diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia 2 years ago after upper scope. Seems like everyone else here has one too. Also, my pain seems to be real bad when I first wake up. I feel anxious always when I first wake & the pain seems worse then and travels down my left side. Anyone else have the flank pain or pain going down there arm as well?

Last edited by Toodle; 09-27-2004 at 03:20 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Toodle For This Useful Post:
chrysti19 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-27-2004, 05:53 PM   #82

jensmitty HB User

I understand exactly what you are going through! Test wise you have me beat though!! My symptoms are all on my right side. I have been in and out of the emergency room for a year and a half. This last time I got diagnosed with costochondritis too. Do you have the lumps on your sides, like little hard fat pockets(that is what I call them,sorry). My rhuematologist told me that they were rib fibroids and if they were bothering me she could give me cortisone shots in them, ouch!!!! I also got diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis and Fibromyalgia in August. I am so fet up with doctors it is unbelievable!!!! I can't do half of the things that I used to be able to do a year ago. It is hard for me to bend over without being in pain. I used to work out in the yard but now I can't because I am in so much pain, even if I wash clothes. I do wish you luck!! If I find out anymore about my health I will definately share with all! Just keep praying that we will get a doctor to come across these postings and might know what in the heck is going on with all of us!!

God Bless,
Jennifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char123
Wow, other people who appear to have the same problem as me. It all started about 7 1/2 months ago the night I delivered my baby. I got this severe pain (hours before the delivery or labor began) below my left breat in the ribcage that bore thru to my back in that area. I've had this pain every single day since then. My entire ribcage on the left side is sore as well. The pain on the front side under my left breast comes & goes (feels like someone is scratching me inside) but the pain in the back in that area is always there & it hurts bad (like a really deep grab I guess). It is tender all along the ribcage in the front back & side. I don't know how much more I can take. I've been told it's costochondritis, but wouldn't it have subsided by now? Also have pain going into my armpit & down my left arm. And have pain in my flank areas (mid back & sides down to hip) most severe on the left side, but happens on the right side too. I've had 4 CT scans, a bone scan, a full heart workup (treadmill thallium stress test). I've had an IVP & sonogram of the kidneys as well. They say they are ok. Blood tests so far show they are functioning normally, but I can't help but wonder if there is something wrong with them. No burning with urination but the flank area has many tender spots that can be pressed and feel like lumps although I see no swelling. My doc said she thinks it's muscleoskeletal. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 months ago. Don't know if this is from the fibro or something more serious. Can't take this rib pain or the flank pain. Was on bedrest for 1 1/2 months before delivering due to high blood pressure that turned to preeclampsia. Delivered baby 1 month early. Can't help but wonder if the bed rest having to be on left side constantly had baby pushed up into my ribcage & damaged something. Don't know what to have them check. Have had MRI of spine & neck & showed no pinched nerve or disk deformity off of spinal cord. Any suggestions anyone, the pain is agonizing. By the way, have just had upper scope & colonoscopy. Only thing found was esophagus irritation from my reflux and a polyp in my stomach which they removed & dr said it looked benign & everything else looked fine. Will go in a week for the final results of the biopsies. I was diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia 2 years ago after upper scope. Seems like everyone else here has one too. Also, my pain seems to be real bad when I first wake up. I feel anxious always when I first wake & the pain seems worse then and travels down my left side. Anyone else have the flank pain or pain going down there arm as well?

Old 09-27-2004, 06:19 PM   #83
(female)

leelee04 HB User

Hi,
I also have been having pain like that. It all started about two months ago with a middle ear problem. Well I freaked out so much about the ear problem that I didnt eat, I lost about 20 pounds in two months. I found out I had fluid in my ears from allergys and was givin flonase. Well The dizziness was lighting up and I started to eat more, Thats when I started to get a burning feeling in my stomach, and I was bloated. I was burbing a lot and right before I would burb my chest would hurt really bad. Even my stool burned. ( Sorry if tmi) I was given Zantac but my stomach still burned. Now I am on prevacid and the burning has gone away but I am bloated. Its like I feel hungry and full all at the same time. I take a couple of bites of something and I feel full. Also I have pressure in my chest and my muscles in my throat feel the same. I get so bloated and I am nauseated. I dont know if this is gas or what. My boyfriend thinks I caused this from all the anxiety I was under with being dizzy plus not eating. Also I have a sore feeling under both ribs and my upper abdomen, Like I have been working out. And sometimes It hurts in my back where my ribs would be. I had an ultra sound done last thursday and I go to the doctor tommorow to see if they found anything. Does this sound like stress? Gas? Ulcer? I had bloodwork done for H pylori and it came back negative. I am really scared.
Thanks
leelee

Old 09-27-2004, 07:23 PM   #84
(female)

Toodle HB User
Talking Re: Pain under left breast and rib cage,,,could this be gas related?

Jennifer
Oh the emergency room. I know they just cringe when they see me. Usually I end up going on a weekend when the pain gets so bad & I get real worried, it's hurting so bad at the time that I figure surely they'll find out what's really wrong. Never do though. Costochondritis they say. About the lumps, I don't know. I feel like I have a lump where that pain from the front of my rib goes through to the back. Also feel like I have lumps in my sides and back down to my hips but I don't see lumps. Just feels like swollen something. Some feel like tight knots. I have recently had some injections. The 1st was a epidural in my upper to mid back, supposed to have helped with inflammation. It did nothing. The 2nd time they did the same thing and also did trigger point injections. When the anesthesiologist that does these injections was feeling around, every place he pushed hurt. These didn't help either but I don't think he got in the right spot for that rib pain. I'm supposed to go back again for more injections, but if it don't work this time, I'll quit. After the injections I feel worse for a few days. It's a combo of cortisone steroid & anesthetic and raises my blood pressure for a while & gives me slight low grade fever. Then the injection sites are sore for a few days. The rib fibroid thing is interesting. My entire left rib cage is sore and when my arms are at my sides, I feel like I have swelling on both left and right side ribs. I wonder what kind of test they can do to see the structure, nerves, cartilage & muscle to see what's wrong. It hurts so bad but they always want to focus on anxiety. Of course I'm anxious cuz I hurt & they can't tell me what's causing it. I do get tingling sometimes in the area on my back (ribs) that hurts so bad. Do you have pain going down your arm? To me it seems like something is inflammed and pressing on nerves. If the docs would please find out if this is true then treat it effectively. Sometimes you feel like there is no hope, which is depressing, but I'm going to keep persisting till I get an answer and relief. Isn't it amazing that there are so many people suffering with the same symptoms but doctors don't know what it is. I don't believe that pain like this can just be unexplained as for the cause. Do let me know if you find out anything or have anything else to share about your problem.

Char

Old 09-27-2004, 07:55 PM   #85

jensmitty HB User

All of these replies are really scary because before I found this website I thought I was going nuts!! I thought that their was too many symptoms and none of them related to one another! I have the pressure in my right ear and I haven't even seen the dr. about it yet. I was the same way with my stomach. It burned and I felt like if I ate something it would soothe my stomach but then it would come back. I had the same problem using the bathroom too, especially if I drank espresso, ouch!! Do you have any pain while urinating, pressure, or frequent urination? The reason why I ask is because I have Interstitial Cystitis and some of the symptoms with the burning was acually my bladder burning with the food I was eating. You might want to check with a Urologist. I have had alot of tests done. Whatever you do, don't give up on trying to find out what is wrong!! I have been refused treatment and treated like a druggie while seeing doctors! Some of my family members were even giving up on me because they thought I was just making it up. It has been rough and still is! Good luck and you have alot of support on this board!

God Bless,
Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee04
Hi,
I also have been having pain like that. It all started about two months ago with a middle ear problem. Well I freaked out so much about the ear problem that I didnt eat, I lost about 20 pounds in two months. I found out I had fluid in my ears from allergys and was givin flonase. Well The dizziness was lighting up and I started to eat more, Thats when I started to get a burning feeling in my stomach, and I was bloated. I was burbing a lot and right before I would burb my chest would hurt really bad. Even my stool burned. ( Sorry if tmi) I was given Zantac but my stomach still burned. Now I am on prevacid and the burning has gone away but I am bloated. Its like I feel hungry and full all at the same time. I take a couple of bites of something and I feel full. Also I have pressure in my chest and my muscles in my throat feel the same. I get so bloated and I am nauseated. I dont know if this is gas or what. My boyfriend thinks I caused this from all the anxiety I was under with being dizzy plus not eating. Also I have a sore feeling under both ribs and my upper abdomen, Like I have been working out. And sometimes It hurts in my back where my ribs would be. I had an ultra sound done last thursday and I go to the doctor tommorow to see if they found anything. Does this sound like stress? Gas? Ulcer? I had bloodwork done for H pylori and it came back negative. I am really scared.
Thanks
leelee

Old 09-27-2004, 08:06 PM   #86

jensmitty HB User

What you described sounds like me too, exactly!!!! I have the sharp pains under my arm. I will pick up something heavy and my right side will burn!! I know now that this isn't in my head, I have found this out by finding this board! Do not ever give up. I have been going through this for over a year and a half! Fibromyalgia, Rib Fibroids, Costochondritis, Interstitial Cystitis, Ovarian Cysts, Irritated Cervix, slight Scoliosis, ulcers, H. Pylori, Spastic Colon, Spastic Intestines, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Kidney Infections are some of the diagnosis's that I have got. Plus I have had my gallbladder removed and my appendix removed due to all of this. I told my husband I will never go to this certain hospital in my town because everytime I go I end of getting an organ removed! It is very depressing and does cause anxiety because you know your body but the doctors can't pinpoint what is going on. I will be praying for you and I will definately keep in touch.

God Bless,
jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char123
Jennifer
Oh the emergency room. I know they just cringe when they see me. Usually I end up going on a weekend when the pain gets so bad & I get real worried, it's hurting so bad at the time that I figure surely they'll find out what's really wrong. Never do though. Costochondritis they say. About the lumps, I don't know. I feel like I have a lump where that pain from the front of my rib goes through to the back. Also feel like I have lumps in my sides and back down to my hips but I don't see lumps. Just feels like swollen something. Some feel like tight knots. I have recently had some injections. The 1st was a epidural in my upper to mid back, supposed to have helped with inflammation. It did nothing. The 2nd time they did the same thing and also did trigger point injections. When the anesthesiologist that does these injections was feeling around, every place he pushed hurt. These didn't help either but I don't think he got in the right spot for that rib pain. I'm supposed to go back again for more injections, but if it don't work this time, I'll quit. After the injections I feel worse for a few days. It's a combo of cortisone steroid & anesthetic and raises my blood pressure for a while & gives me slight low grade fever. Then the injection sites are sore for a few days. The rib fibroid thing is interesting. My entire left rib cage is sore and when my arms are at my sides, I feel like I have swelling on both left and right side ribs. I wonder what kind of test they can do to see the structure, nerves, cartilage & muscle to see what's wrong. It hurts so bad but they always want to focus on anxiety. Of course I'm anxious cuz I hurt & they can't tell me what's causing it. I do get tingling sometimes in the area on my back (ribs) that hurts so bad. Do you have pain going down your arm? To me it seems like something is inflammed and pressing on nerves. If the docs would please find out if this is true then treat it effectively. Sometimes you feel like there is no hope, which is depressing, but I'm going to keep persisting till I get an answer and relief. Isn't it amazing that there are so many people suffering with the same symptoms but doctors don't know what it is. I don't believe that pain like this can just be unexplained as for the cause. Do let me know if you find out anything or have anything else to share about your problem.

Char

Old 09-28-2004, 06:15 AM   #87
(female)

Izmik HB User

Hi all - funny that everyone is mentioning ears lately because I have been suffering from Mennieres disease the past 5 years. I am partially deaf from it and wear a hearing aid in one ear ( the other one is just about deaf ). I would never of related it to stomach problems , but who knows these days.

I was telling you one time in a previous post Jen that I had taken a big fall, it was due to menieres. I had a drop attack. I landed really heavy on my back breaking my leg and ankle on the way. I always wondered if I had done anything in the rib area, but x rays have never shown anything.

I am still good lately though ( touch wood ) my hernia hasnt been bothering me at although that could change tomorrow. But fingers crossed for the meantime.

Hope everyone else gets some answers along the way.
take care
Isobelle

Old 11-27-2004, 08:43 PM   #88
(female)

mtiffany HB User

Hi, Iam having same symptoms. I also have pain almost like a burning sensation down center of chest and when I press on my stomach at the bottom of my rib cage it is sore. I have been wondering what is going on. I constantly feel like there is something in there. Weird feeling and driving me nuts. Thanks for any comments and listening!!

Old 11-28-2004, 05:31 PM   #89

surfboar HB User

Might I suggest gallstones. I have gallstone problems which lead to pain under the rib cage on the right but also on the left as the pancreas becomes inflamed.

As the doc explained it to me. If eating makes the pain go away, it could be an ulcer. If eating triggers the pain, then it could be gallstones.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:57 PM   #90
(female)

jbabbit HB User

I have the same symptoms and I just found out I have a gallstone. I am having it out next week...I can't wait. Everytime it gets bad my chest hurts, under ribs left and right...just a bad feeling all the time...

Closed Thread