It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2001, 05:14 PM   #1

Scaredy Kat HB User
Lightbulb Bloating, Full Feelings mixed with something else

Hi:
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I guess I am looking for reassurance - my current symptoms have me somewhat nervous.

For the past year I have had on and off a feeling of being bloated - almost like I've eaten way too much, without actually eating.

Coupled with this bloated feeling, my stomach area feels heavy; so it's more comfortable for me to wear tight garments around my waist because the support makes me feel better. When I'm not wearing something tight around my waist, I hold my stomach area with my hand, or sit with my legs up because the support feels better.

When I get this feeling, it also feels like I am not breathing "right". Meaning, I can breathe, but I feel a bit lightheaded, like I may faint. And/or I am more aware of my breathing.

I had these symptome for the first time ever last year in July; they symptom lasted for six weeks - I was out of work because of it. I was seen by my primary care doctor, a gastrologist, and a surgeon. At first, because they found two gallstones, my primary doctor and the surgeon thought it was gallstone related (I have two). However, after some time, they suggested that it was an episode of IBS.

During that six week block of time last year, all I wanted to do was relax and not eat. I lost 32 pounds.

During that time, I did have an ultrasound and an upper GI. Those results came back fine, happily so.

I did not pursue any other testing, with my primary care doctor in agreement. It was recommended that I take a prescription medication (I forget the name - maybe Prilosec?) because my upper GI revealed some acid reflux lower down. I do have occasional heartburn.

I did not take this medication because I am an extremely highly anxious person, prone to panic. I have a fear of taking medications (which I am working on). I did take Gas-Ex and Tums.

I was very worried that I had cancer or something else horribly medically wrong with me, despite my doctor's assurances that I was/am healthy. Prior to last July, I rarely ever had any kind of stomach/intestinal problem, and could eat anything at any time.

After those initial six weeks, and being put on a restricted diet (no fats), eventually my symptoms subsided, and I went back to work.

However, still to this day, I can't seem to eat everything I used to - and I still experience these scary symptoms (to me they are scary) of bloating, with this full feeling and some feelings of faintness when I feel this way. Also, I have had some experience with irregularity, as well as some constipation - not enough to complain constantly, but all my life I have been pretty much 'regular', and now sometimes it's not like that.

The symptoms have been more pronouced lately, but I have been under extremely heavy stress for the last few weeks. Also, it is coming up on one-year since this all began, which is weighing heavily on my mind.

Back in July, when this all started, I had just ended a relationship with a boyfriend, and I was looking to move out of the house (something else I am working on; another panic issue for me).

My primary physician, who knows my history well for many years, states that I am in good health, and that some of what I am feeling with these symptoms is probably a combination of stress and IBS. Note also that my brother (age 35, I am 37) has a very severe care of IBS (since his early teens) and my mother also has bowel problems along the same nature.

Well, thanks for listening. I guess this is one very nervous person wondering if anyone else has the same kind of symptoms (bloating, full feeling with some lightedness or feeling funny breathing). Your assurances are much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2001, 02:45 PM   #2
Inactive

MarshaS HB User
Hi

Sometimes like this weekend I experience the worst stomach pain. And my stomach will get distended, looks awful, and hurts all the way around to my back, a lot like early labor.

I felt full Friday evning before I started eating, then ate, then sat I got pain in the afternoon, evening, the next day it was better only to return in the evening.

I had take a laxative in the form of fiber to ease any constipation that may be causing the problem, but that wasn´t it and I think the fiber made it worse.

I know that when I get stressed or tense, emotinal that is when it seems these problems arise.

I haven´t gone to get checked because when the problem is over with, well there never seems to be a reason to bother then.

Good luck to you,

Old 07-01-2001, 07:47 PM   #3

Aunt Lane HB User
Scaredy Kat
I completely understand what you are saying.
About 18 months ago I was just sitting at the table visiting with family and I had the worst feeling come over me all at once. I was dizzy and my hurt was racing. My right shoulder hurt. I sware I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the ER and they just sent me home and said I had a virus. To make a long story short, I have been to about 8 different dr and had a ton of tests. I have been told that I have IBS, Bursitis, Anxiety, GERD, Fibromyalgia. I have also been told that it is all in my head.
Right now what I am dealing with is a full feeling all of the time. I belch alot and because of this full feeling I have discomfort in my upper right side. I still have those dizzy spells from time to time.
My bowels are not like they used to be. I get constipated much more now than I used to.
I was stressing myself out so much over how I was feeling.
I have finally taken my dr's word that I am really basically healthy. I just watch what I eat and I have decided to keep a log of everything I eat and also of how I feel. Any time I start to feel bad I am going to write it down and see if it corrolates with the things that I eat.
Let me know what you find out and I will do the same.

Old 07-05-2001, 07:16 AM   #4
Inactive

Wowwweee HB UserWowwweee HB UserWowwweee HB User
Disregard. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by Wowwweee (edited 07-05-2001).]

Old 07-05-2001, 07:25 AM   #5

Scaredy Kat HB User
Exclamation

Dear Aunt Lane and MarshaS, Thank you so much for your postings: I have been really having some down days over the symptoms I have written about in this post.

I don't know why I am so frightened of these symptoms - it seems that many people have bloating without becoming so upset over it, but I guess since mine is also coupled with this strange breathless-fainting feeling, I find it more scarier than someone else.

Sometimes it feels like I am not bloated, but still have the breathless-fainting feeling, so I am always worried about it.

My symptoms come and go, but lately they have been hanging around.

Aunt Lane, I'm sorry you're having what sounds like the exact same symptoms I am. It's truly awful to constantly have those symptoms with you some days, I know. It causes me high anxiety and the fear that something is medically wrong with me. Since I have been to see my primary care physician so much, and have always received a clean bill of health, when I have seen him for this, he says it's anxiety. I can understand that because I have experienced other symptoms in the past that ended up being blown-out of proportion due to my anxiety. I think because I am so high stressed (just my nature), these symptoms scare me more than if someone else had them.

I am not so much dizzy (as in spinning), as I am feeling like I am faint, that I may just pass out. More woozy or the start of blacking out rather than spinning. I know "dizzy" can mean a whole range of symptoms, but I just wanted to clarify.

Aunt Lane, please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing; I will do the same. Again, I am sorry to know that you are going through the same feelings, but I feel a little better knowing someone else feels the same way. I am so scared of this! Take care.

Closed Thread