It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
(female)

modew HB User
HIDA Scan-Has anyone heard of this?

Went for a HIDA scan today and left with the uneasy feeling that it wasn't performed correctly. I'm just wondering if anyone could share their own experiences. Received the injection of the radioactive dye and then pictures were taken for about an hour. I was then told that my gallbladder wasn't emptying properly so they got me up to walk around for 15 minutes. I then went back and they said that it did the trick & that my gall bladder was now emptying. After that they gave me a can of Ensure to drink. They said that would simulate what my gall bladder does with fat. Is this what people are talking about when they have the CCK portion of the test? I really didn't feel that drinking Ensure with 11 grams of fat was really much of a test of how my gall bladder reacts to fat. All of my attacks occured after eating items with a higher fat content than 11 grams. They took another picture after I drank the Ensure and then they had me get up and walk around again, this time for half an hour. They then had me lay back down, took a picture and said my gall bladder was emptying fine. Anyway, at the end of the testing the tech basically told me that everything was fine & I can go ahead and eat fat. Now I still need to get the results from my doctor next week, but I really think he's going to say everything was fine. Anyone ever heard of these kinds of procedures during a HIDA Scan?

Thanks,

Modew

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
(female)

quenterry0 HB User
Post Re: HIDA Scan-Has anyone heard of this?

I have heard of drinking Ensure from other people on this msg board but I don't know if it gives an accurate readying. When I had mine done they injected the first dye then an hour later another injection of CCK which makes your gallbladder contract - during this time I experienced severe nausea! The nausea doesn't really mean your galbladder is bad or not but thats just what I experienced. If the test results come back normal maybe you could question your doctor abou going to a facility where they inject CCK rather than having you eat or drink something fatty. Good Luck.

Teresa

Old 06-05-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
(female)

agurl79 HB User
Re: HIDA Scan-Has anyone heard of this?

The CCK injection part of the HIDA scan is actually morphine being injected. That is why you can't take any pain meds before a HIDA scan. The morphine makes your gall bladder contract!

Old 06-05-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

No.... that's incorrect.

The CCK part is a synthetic version of the hormone CCK which causes contraction of the gallbladder and relaxation of the sphincter of Oddi (going from the bile duct to the intestines).

Morphine is sometimes injected during a HIDA scan, although this is not a routine part of the test. This is done when the gallbladder is not filling with bile. Morphine causes contraction of the sphincter of Oddi, which should then cause the bile to back up into the gallbladder and fill it. Once they have injected morphine during a HIDA scan, they cannot inject CCK because the sphincter is contracted and the gallbladder squeezing against a closed sphincter would be bad.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Hey kehorner , this is off-topic, but I've read you have bile problems (without surgery)? I was hoping to "private-message" you about bile gastritis but it seems there is no such thing on this site. Would love to discuss. My doc says I had bile in my stomach on endo, and IDed "bile gastritis" on the report, but doesn't say much to me as if it's not much. I'm scared from reading the 'net. But I'm even wondering if we all get bile in there sometimes and it was just a fluke.

I'd love to talk bile....if you can reach me. Maybe I just don't understand how this site works fully? How I can PM you?

(Sorry to hi-jack the thread!)

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 06-06-2006 at 08:33 AM.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
(female)

NickyG1002 HB User

I also had a HIDA scan which wasnt what i really expected. They injected the radioactive dye, told me the test would take about 30-45 mins, left me in the machine for about an hour, then got me up and told me to walk around for 10 minutes to see if the gallbladder would start to empty because it wasnt emptying properly. I came back, they took some more pictures, and the gallbladder just kept swelling, so they told me to get back up and go for a good 20 minute walk...so i did. I came back a third time, gallbladder still wasnt emptying just getting bigger and bigger, they decided not to do the ckc injection, but didnt tell me why. Then they told me to go down to the cafeteria, have something to eat and come back in 45 minutes...i did, when i came back it was slightly emptying but barely. So they sent me home.

Just went to the surgeon a week ago, and the gallbladder comes out in 2 weeks.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
(female)

Sports Mom of 2 HB User
Smile Re: HIDA Scan-Has anyone heard of this?

I had this same test done just last week. Mine went more like quenterryO's did. I layed on the table for an hour and a half. They put the first injection in and took pictures for an hour and then put the CCK in and took pictures for 1/2 hour. I also experiened nausea which the tech told me may happen. Good luck!!

Jenn

Last edited by Sports Mom of 2; 06-19-2006 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread