It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2001, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

HeavenlyOne HB User
Angry ACID REFLUX CAUSE PROBLEMS BREATHING??

I have real bad acid reflux. Been tested and given medication. But sometimes when it acts up pretty bad, it sometimes feels as though I have trouble catching my breath.
Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 10-12-2001).]

Old 08-19-2001, 03:13 PM   #2

sashalynn HB User
Unhappy

I know exactly what you're talking about. My stomach sometimes feels really bloated up top too and it feels as though I can't get enough air in my lungs. My stomach Dr. told me it's just acid that causes that feeling. I take Pantoloc and sometimes I take a stomach mobility drug to speed food through my stomach quicker. It helps sometimes if I get up and walk around a bit, cause it allows food and acid to slide down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2001, 11:32 AM   #3
Inactive

kat27 HB User
Acid reflux can burn the lining of your lungs which in turn will cause scarring of your lungs. When the acid comes up, it can spill over into your lungs. It can cause people to wheeze and feel short of breath just like an asthmatic. In fact some people are mistakenly diagnosed as asthmatics when in fact it is the acid reflux problems causing the symptoms. Once they have the condition under control through medication or else surgery for perm. results then the "asthmatic" problem goes away eventually as the lungs heal.

Old 09-30-2001, 05:56 PM   #4
Inactive

kat27 HB User
The digestive enzymes were part of the routine also before I elected to have surgery. Went through bottles and bottles of them. When you are desperate you search for anything and everything to take for this specific condition.
Digestive enzymes are great for preventing "bloating" and for breaking the food down more effectively for use in the body. It also helps in keeping the intestinal tract from getting blocked or forming pockets.

[This message has been edited by kat27 (edited 09-30-2001).]

Old 10-02-2001, 04:20 PM   #5

heaven309 HB User
its ironic you mention the difficulty breathing because of reflux. i have reflux because of diff. breathing. my asthma meds have caused GERD, at least we think it is. just got home from the GI, with some meds and a pending endoscopy...
heather

Closed Thread