It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2002, 06:33 PM   #1

Tawnie HB User
Question Food Toxicity Testing

What is this Food Toxicity Testing that I read about on another post? Who does this testing and what exactly does this test reveal?
I am recently having trouble with certain foods (allergies I guess) that has put me in the ER twice.
Thanks for any info!

Old 02-10-2002, 01:57 AM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi,

Food allergy testing works sort of like an elimination diet. If you are having problems with certain foods, you have to cut them out of your diet and see if you are better after this. At a later date you may then be able to reintroduce them in your diet and not have a problem.

The lactose tolerance test is that you are given a certain amount of lactose, such as chocolate, milk or cheese. If you develop a bad bellyache and diarrhea within about 20 to 30 mins of this, then you are intolerant to lactose and should try and cut it out of your diet.

What kind of symptoms have you been having when you say that you are allergic to certain foods and have been to the ER? Is it like a hive type reaction or a bad belly pain reaction?

If you have been to the ER, then I should really go and see your doc and get it sorted out.

Hope this helps?

Good luck

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2002, 06:50 PM   #3

Tawnie HB User
My symptoms that have sent me to the ER are rash on chest, trouble swallowing, muscle weakness, clogged feeling in ears, dizziness, low grade fever, mild stomach pain, and a feeling like I will pass out. I have been to my Dr., but he doesn't seem hopeful about finding out what is causing this. It only happens after I eat certain meals and the symptoms begin within 30 minutes and last for 4 days (although they get better as those 4 days go on.) I don't know what else it could be besides food. I've been tested for almost everything else from thyroid to Lymes disease to lupus.

Old 02-11-2002, 01:30 AM   #4
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi Tawnie,

Have you tried eliminating the meals altogether that are causing your problems? If not, maybe try it, as rashes, fever and stomach pains could all be indicators of allergy.

Other than that, you could try taking some antihistamine when this happens and seeing if your condition improves.

If I were you though, I would keep pestering your doc to get the bottom of your problem.

I had stomach problems sometime ago. I kept pestering my doc and got nowhere. I then changed my doc and he had me diagnosed within a week. I am now 100% better.

Take care

Sarah

Old 02-12-2002, 10:45 PM   #5
(female)

Aces21 HB User
The Food Toxicity test is only offered by Immuno Labs. It is not an elimination diet. It is very scientific and precise. The catch, if your insurance doesn't cover it it costs $1200.00. I am making an appt tomorrow to have mine done since my insurance will pay. I have some other info I can post for if you like. Or do a search at [url="http://www.***********"]www.***********[/url] and enter in Food Toxicity Testing. The rep there told me that if you have insurance coverage for allergies than this test should be covered.

Amanda

Old 02-13-2002, 01:07 PM   #6
(male)

peteuk HB User
hi, well you said your doc did lots of tests but did he actually send you for allergy testing?? The chest rash sounds like a histamine reaction which along with your throat problem would be my first guess.I would recommend keeping a food diary and writing down everything you eat,times of reactions,medications if any and i'm sure a pattern will show soon enough.You will then perhaps have to try an elimination diet of sorts.If you haven't been tested for coeliac that could be worth finding out more about.It's not the easiest or cheapest thing to test for but you could follow the diet for it for a while if it sounds likely to you.I've had problems after eating also,i've got ibd which may or may not be an issue but i think it's worth borrowing a blood sugar tester and a blood pressure monitor if you can,and see how they do after you eat.I think it's quite possible that most people have intolerance to one food or another,it's nothing to worry about but when your body is showing you that something is wrong like yours is then you must take positive steps to reduce the stress on your immune system before you get other problems.Good luck anyway and if you want to chat more please reply here anytime.

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 02-13-2002).]

Closed Thread