It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2002, 06:43 AM   #1

RobinKay73 HB User
Post Pale yellow stool

For the last week and a half I have been passing pale yellow stool. The color is close to the color of the title box above (where it says "member communities") Nothing in my diet has changed. I have started some new meds but I started them on Tuesday of last week (Feb 5) and I have been passing this discolored stool since Friday (Feb 1) of the week before. My diet has not changed and my health hasn't either. My stools seem looser as well. What could be causing this. I am only 28.

Old 02-14-2002, 03:49 PM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi,

This could be a delayed reaction from starting your new meds depending what they were. Sometimes meds need time to build up in your system and may then cause problems.

It is just possible that you have been suffering from a slight stomach virus with no other particular symptoms. Sometimes it can take a while for stools to go back to normal colour. This means that you may not have been absorbing what you eat as well.

Anyway, keep an eye on it and they do not go back to normal within a few days or your develop any new symptoms then contact your doc or the doc who prescribed the meds and see what he has to say.

Hope this helps?

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2002, 11:05 AM   #3

rhyanen HB User
Smile

Hi. Do you have any abdominal pain that accompanies the stool? Do you ever have nausea or vomiting with it?

I have heard where gallbladder problems can cause pale stools.

Also, my son has been having bouts of loose, yellow to clay colored stools along with vomiting and he is in the process of being diagnosed with Celiac disease.

Doctors who did a study on people with digestive problems found that 1 out of 250 people had antibodies in their blood suggestive of Celiac disease and they also estimate that many people who have been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome may actually have Celiac disease. It is not getting the recognition here in the US because many docs are still in the dark and think it is a rare disorder. But it isn't and it is found in familial clusters. So it would be wise to talk to your doctor.

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2002, 09:14 AM   #4

claujuh HB User
pale yellow stools can also be a symptom of celiac disease or hepatitis.

Old 04-13-2002, 02:18 PM   #5

bird123 HB User
Pale yellow stooll can be caused by hepatitis (indirect bilirubin in the blood would be high), gall bladder stones abstructing the bile outflow (direct bilirubin in the blood would be high), chronic pancreatitis with pancreatic insufficiency, or any obstruction of pancreatic duct. It would be nice to make sure there is no occult blood in the stool (check Hemoccult or similar).

Closed Thread