It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2002, 10:16 PM   #1

NoisyTum HB User
Question ulcer or ibs?

I have had about 4 months of stomach "issues" and my doc and I have narrowed it down to either IBS or an ulcer. I hope to get in to see a GI doc within the next month. In the meantime, I am on Prilosec and Carafate. The Prilosec doesn't seem to be doing much...I still have terrible burning around my chestbone. I suppose the Carafate is helping...I haven't felt too nauseaus, but I am still hearing terrible noises coming from my stomach! And it almost feels as if I'm pregnant again and feeling the first flutters of movement, except its in my intestines, lol. Anyone else have this?? The noises/digestion action is really bothersome. I also have the other usual smathering of symptoms...dia/burning/feeling of fullness/nausea/stomach pain. So can any of you tell me, do my symptoms appear to be a "dead ringer" for either IBS or an ulcer? I have the terrible burning all of the time...eating seems to help a bit, but then the funky noises start. I'm getting a phobia about food, I swear! And to top it all off, I have in the last 6 months gone through a major diet change, which I feel pretty sure atleast contributed to my problems, except now I eat so healthfully! Lots of fiber, water, yogurt, low fat/no greasy foods, etc...everything that would seemingly ease most of my problems. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! Its so frustrating! Thanks for listening, it just feels good to get it off my chest.

------------------
Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2002, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi, there. You've come to the right place for support - this message board is full of others suffering like you.

Hate to bring you bad news, but I suffer from both GERD and IBS so have all the symptoms you're referring to. My IBS is primarily the "D" kind, but I also suffer abdominal pain/cramping (mostly on the lower left), occasional stomach pain/burning sensation, and prior to surgery to correct my GERD, I had significant pain/burning mid-chest especially after eating. I was on 40mg of Prilosec for 2 years before I decided to have the stomach wrap done to correct my GERD (also called Nissan fundoplication - which can be done laproscopically).

Keep working with your doc for a definitive diagnosis. Whether IBS or ulcer or whatever, there are various treatments that will help. Everybody's different in what works for them, but this board will offer advice to help you deal with your digestive problems.

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Closed Thread