It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
(male)

rocket10 HB User
Question post (almost a year) GB surgery question

hey there-

i had my gall bladder removed 8.2.05... since then, i've felt so much better, have been able to tolerate food i couldn't eat the last 3 yrs prior to surgery..everything's been pretty cool...

from time to time, i've even been able to eat salad (ruffiage) and some raw fruits and vegatables, usually with no problem...over the course of this past week, tho, i had 3 bannas, 1 fresh apple and 3 salads... and by the weekend, i was in a lot of pain..almost as bad as before i had the surgery...

its been about 48 hrs since the pain flared up and tho its subsided somewhat, i'm still feeling tender in the area where the GB was, and eating has been somewhat of an adventure ( i spent the weekend going real light- just soups broths, peanut butter sandwiches, etc..) ..

i believe that i understood that tho the GB was removed, the bile ducts were not, and the nerve endings where the GB was can still get irritated...it does feel like a big inflammed area where the little critter used to be...almost exactly as it felt prior to surgery, minus the bloating, and being doubled over...

i'm otherwise fine, and not terribly worried at present- just baffled by the onset of symptoms i haven't felt for almost a year...my question would be, has anyone else had GB symptoms that have come back well after the surgery- hopefully temprorarily- after eating an excess of something, or a combination of somethings, and is so, besides laying off the offending food, would there be anything else i can try to survive these episodes better besides just riding it out and hoping it clears up quick ...???

i guess my real question is, is this a problem unique to me or has anyone else gone thru the same or similar experiences, post GB surgery?.. thank you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: post (almost a year) GB surgery question

Peanut butter????? Putting all that oil on an already overtaxed bile duct? That didn't help...I had a few stabbing pains Sunday....but I had eaten a bunch of pimento cheese...not good for me! I can usually tell. And also for some reason, salads tend to upset my digestive tract more than they used to (had mine out 2/14/05).

Old 06-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
(male)

rocket10 HB User

hmmm..should've been more specific..i can't actually eat peanuts (food allergy) should've written it as almond butter sandwiches...figured nobody besides me ate that stuff...

no matter...its been almost a week now since the flare up and the immediate discomfort seemingly has passed...but a dull, nagging, constant little pain remains under my right rib cage radiating out to the right side and under the shoulder blade...

have been very careful eating this week and otherwise, with the exception of feeling like i'm running at below 100 per cent energy- possibly from dealing with the discomfort- i'm fine...no loss of appetite, no nausea, all the plumbing works and "the discharges" look normal, no fever...just the little dull ache that used to happen in the same spot when i had a gall bladder problems, minus the other crud...

just wondering if this'll finally clear up on its own in another week or two, or should i mention it to the doc...geez, i hate the thought of more tests, doctor vists, etc...it took almost 2 full years for them to finally figure out what was wrong with me (the gall bladder) so i don't want to lose another summer to being sick or being tested or waiting for results, etc....with the GB finally gone, i was so hoping all this GB pain was behind me......

unless i get a better option, i guess i'll just listen to my little "companion" (the discomfort) for awhile longer before i decide how to proceed....maybe i can just baby it along- being super careful- till i feel 100 per cent again...who knows??...

sometimes its just easier to sort thru ones' thoughts and listen to other opinions in a forum like this....it makes me feel less vulnerable knowing there are others besides me dealing with similar circumsatnces ...

thank you for listening...

Old 09-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
(female)

Tracy66 HB User

wow I could have written what you did. I have been searching for some answers for weeks now. I have everything you just said. I hope you look at this post because I'd like to know what became of your problem. I went to the doc today and she wanted to do some liver tests...I am miserable with this tenderness and pain. They scoped my ducts while taking out my GB and said there were no stones in any of them. What in the world is going on!!! I know I can't pig out on a bunch of fatty foods but geez I thought I could live with out the same stupid pain I've had for years(minus the doubling over)after the stupid thing was removed. It is so frustrating and I am so tired of the pain. Please let me know your results.....it's been 6 mos since mine was removed. Thanks
UPDATE:
Doc just called and said my liver tests are high and wants a CT scan of my abdomen and made me appt with GI doc. Whats going on????!! Very conerned now. If any thoughts let me know.

Last edited by Tracy66; 09-20-2006 at 03:40 PM.

Closed Thread