It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
(male)

Josh_B HB User
Unhappy Is there ANY way to fix Gastritis ?

We have figured out I have REALLY bad gastritis. To the point if being filled with gas every morning when I wake up, and after almost every meal I immediately begin to bloat.

I am not interested on going on some type of pill prescribed by a doc that only masks the symptoms. I want to FIX this problem, is there a way? Any help is appreciated..

Last edited by Josh_B; 06-12-2006 at 10:38 PM.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:30 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User
Re: Is there ANY way to fix Gastritis ?

I'm wondering the same thing. I have had it for over a year and it is somewhat better than what I started with but isn't fully healed. I, like you, wake up every morning with bloating so bad my abdomen hurts and I feel nauseous. Hopefully someone has an answer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
(male)

Red Palms HB User

I'm not sure what the difference is but it sounds a lot like IBS. Do you have diarrhea or are you constipated(less than 6-7 times a week)?

Old 06-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
(male)

Josh_B HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Palms
I'm not sure what the difference is but it sounds a lot like IBS. Do you have diarrhea or are you constipated(less than 6-7 times a week)?
It's off and on, some days I'll eat a greasy meal and blow the toilet up. Other days my stool is rock hard and won't come out unless I use some form of bowel stimulation.

I'm sure I have IBS too, but I had an endoscopy done and my stomach lining was really irritaed....meaning Gastritis most times. And, seeing how my stomach IMMEDIATELY becomes upset after a meal, when the food hasnt even had time to hit the intestines tell me it's in the stomach. I also have a ton of gas every morning.

Last edited by Josh_B; 06-13-2006 at 12:17 PM.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

My doctor put me on a med called cytotec. It's kind of a scary med because it can cause birth defects so you have to be sure you're not pregnant and don't get pregnant (I don't know how it affects guys). But it helps to actually heal the stomach lining. Then when the stomach lining is healed, it is less likely to get irritated again (as opposed to the ongoing cycle of an irritated surface getting more irritated). This helped me. I felt a lot better after taking it for a month or two, and I haven't had any problems with it since (but I also got my gallbladder out pretty soon after, if that makes any difference).

Old 06-14-2006, 06:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Hey kehorner! I've been hoping to chat with you - you said you have bile gastritis (the worst!)!

Anyway, I too have constant gastritis, probably bile (and like kehorner apparently, I never had any kind of GI surgery - we're rare). In my case I truly think it was started by the massive Ibuprofen I took to that point for 6-7 mos.

As it is, I suffer alot too and would like to feel I'm going to get better. It's been definitely 2+ solid months of this; 4 mos of "GERD". My doctor seems to think I'm going to get "better" (which I guess could mean "better than now - but never cured!"), despite the bile. I hope he's right.

Would love to chat more about this whole nonsense. I think the gastritis is the real cause of my acid reflux. I'm burping/hiccuping all the time, and not sure if it's the cause or effect of my burning stomach! Maybe both!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I actually had my GB removed (over a year ago) to resolve those problems with acid reflux, gastritis, nausea--well it didn't work...in fact, the gastritis has gotten worse since I had it removed. Obviously, something is irritating my stomach but what??!! I tried eliminating anything irritating and stuck to a bland diet, that didn't work. I have been on Pantoloc for almost a year, which cuts down on the nausea but doesn't help with the full feeling in the stomach or the burning, gassy feeling. I have been tested for H. Pylori twice--both negative. I don't take ibuprofen at all, only tylenol and that is once in a blue moon. What else can cause gastritis? Very frustrating!

Old 06-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

It is typical that bile reflux into the stomach may increase after getting your gallbladder removed, which can aggravate gastritis.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Errr...how would you get rid of bile gastritis? Would you have to go on a medication to "soak" up the bile? And what on earth would cause bile to get into your stomach? This is beginning to look like something that is going to be never-ending! My dr. did say in the report that I had "microscopic non-specific chronic chemical gastritis"--his words. What is chemical gastritis? geesh... If anyone knows, I would be forever greatful!!

Old 06-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond79
Errr...how would you get rid of bile gastritis? Would you have to go on a medication to "soak" up the bile? And what on earth would cause bile to get into your stomach? This is beginning to look like something that is going to be never-ending! My dr. did say in the report that I had "microscopic non-specific chronic chemical gastritis"--his words. What is chemical gastritis? geesh... If anyone knows, I would be forever greatful!!

Chemical gastritis is gastritis caused by "chemicals", as opposed to bacteria (most commonly, Helicobacter Pylori). The chemicals include bile (from your body) and NSAID medications (from outside, obviously).

Unfortunately, I firmly believe my gastritis was started by my massive Ibuprofen intake over many months. But the GE says I had bile in my stomach during my endoscopy, so it may be that the bile is keeping the burn going for months once the NSAID destroyed what was there. All speculation of course, but really, I can't help thinking it.

As to why bile in the stomach - never mind the people who had surgery in the area - supposedly it could be from weak pyloric sphincter (here we go with the sphincters again), or some ulceration near it which can keep it open sometime. I think kehorner is right saying that you may have increased bile due to unregulated liver emptying (no gall bladder), and if you have too much, sometimes it can slip in. (My theory, though noone ever talks about "excessive gall emptying" to even indicate such. They only worry about LOW ejection! Isn't it possible to have too much, FGS? )

My only problem with the "you have bile so of course you hurt...." is that - doesn't everyone sometimes get it? I mean, for all the talk even of normal virally sick people "throwing up bile", yet not going to ER or being in danger, you'd think surely there just is bile there many times?

Old 06-14-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think part of it might be the bile getting a foothold in a weak area of the stomach, or if it is there for a long time it can create a weaker area. Then it starts eroding the stomach lining and causing gastritis. Then the inflamed area is susceptible to more irritation. So it's like a cycle, I think. If you break some portion of it, you may be able to not have gastritis anymore, even if you do still get bile in your stomach, because it doesn't have an inflamed area to irritate. So the two ways to break the gastritis cycle are to either eliminate the irritant or heal the inflamed area. Of course, this is all just my theory...

Old 06-14-2006, 07:55 PM   #12
(male)

john the bomb HB User

I have something like that.My doc may do an endoscopy.But here is what helps me...a cup of tea daily.Helpsme digest the food and now I do not have the pain.

Closed Thread