It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2002, 10:39 PM   #1

bdkent HB User
Post Gastritis, hunger, nausea. please help I've tried everything!

Here is my story in a nutshell. Seven months of hell. I've tried every proton pump inhibitor on the market. Also tried every herbal remedy with no relief. I'm at the end of my rope so if someone can help me I would much appreciate it. My symptoms are as follows: Nausea, stomach bloating, constant feeling of hunger, weakness, also get shaky (hands shake) I've had two upper and one lower GI. I'm now going to my second GI doctor and all I get is you have gastritis. Then they try to give me more proton pump inhibitors. Hello Doc, I've been on PPI for six months obviously it's not working. So if anyone has had my symptoms and has had any success with it, please clue me in because I'm in complete agony with no end in sight. Changing my diet hasn't seem to work and I've even been tested by an Allergist for a food allergy. They only tested me for the top five or so allergies. Which to me doesn't make sense because you eat hundreds of different things. Well please help me if you can. Thanks, Brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2002, 03:14 AM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi Brian,

I have not had exactly the same problems as you, but have had stomach problems in the past caused by food intolerances, namely gluten, wheat, yeast and lactose. Maybe you need to get some more comprehensive tests done though.

I know your docs keep saying gastritis, but have you ever been tested for H. Pylori? This is what causes stomach ulcers and can cause symptoms such as you describe. It maybe worth it, as the conventional PPI's have not worked. If this test were positive, then you would need a course of antibiotics to clear it and then a re-test afterwards to ensure that it had cleared.

You also say that you get shaky and are always hungry? It sounds like you have quite a fast metabolism, so have you ever had your blood sugar checked to ensure that you don't have any problems there? This does not necessarily have to be diabetes, but you can have a condition where your body is oversensitive to insulin and your blood sugar goes down fast.

Also, have you had your thyroid checked out? It could be that it is overactive.

Lastly, bloating normally means that the bacteria in your gut need to be re-colonised and you should think about either eating some live yogurt or taking Acidophilis caps. Keep them in the fridge and don't take them with hot drinks, as this kills the bacteria. You can take them twice daily on an empty stomach. You should be able to get these from a pharmacy and they contain Lactobacillis and other bacteria that are gut friendly and are used for re-colonisation.

Hope this helps and good luck?

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2002, 02:23 PM   #3

Shanny HB User
hi, i am sorry about what you've been going through and the circles you've been through, it sounds like no fun whatsoever. u mentioned that you have taken herbel remedies but have u tried natural Ginger for the nausea? While i have been waiting the past couple of monthes on doctors to figure out what is up w/me i have been taking it to control the frequent nausea i get and it works pretty well for me. most will say to take as much as needed and just figure out how much u need.

Old 08-30-2002, 09:14 PM   #4
Inactive

Toccoah HB User
I know how you feel. I've had chronic gastritis now for 20 months! Almost two years. I was treated for H-Pylori, the bacteria that causes gastritis, and it has helped. I sure hope you were diagnosed via endoscopy. It's really the only to correctly diagnose gastritis to begin with. Were you tested for H-Pylori? I too use to get really bad hunger pains, and this is usually an indication of a duodenal ulcer of duodenitis. Have you had an endoscopy? Perhaps a second opinion is needed. I've had three ;-) Always a good idea and sometimes it's needed. After all, it's your health. The only thing that really helped me was juicing. I read and read and read. Barnes and noble loves me! Try juicing. Blend fresh fruits, all veggies. It's great for your health as well.

Good luck and get that second opinion!
-Jenifer

Old 08-30-2002, 09:15 PM   #5
Inactive

Toccoah HB User
PS-

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Just trying to figure out the average age of all the gastritis sufferers here.

Old 08-30-2002, 10:53 PM   #6

bdkent HB User
Hey guys I appreciate your responses. Yes I've had a endoscopy and the biopsy was negative for H. Pylori. I've been checked for everything including, thyroid, diabetes and even a few food allergies. They thought I possibly had Celiac disease because of some positive antibodies but the biopsy came back negative. I'm 32 years old and have had gastritis in the past but never like this. I'm glad to read that the hunger thing has been experienced by others. Please keep me posted on any info. you can I really appreciate it. The lastest my GI doc thinks I have crohn's disease but I don't have any of the symptoms, no diarrhea or immediate discomfort after eating. I just have discomfort all the time.

Old 08-31-2002, 03:03 AM   #7
Super Sarah

Talking

Can I just ask whether you were still eating gluten at the time of your biopsy or had you completely cut it out of your diet? It is just that with Celiac disease, you do get a certain amount of inflammation in the intestine that can be detected at biopsy and your blood test would react, but if you think you have a problem with gluten and then cut it out of your diet before you have the tests done, then there can be minimal reactivity and the intestines can heal too. Just because the biopsy was negative, don't rule it out. Try cutting out the gluten and see what happens.

Also, I would really suggest that you start taking the Acidophilis caps to see if this has any effect
Peppermint tea and ginger, as someone else mentioned in the post above are also good for the tum.

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 08-31-2002).]

Closed Thread