It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

jhamilton401 HB User
So Paranoid Can't Eat

Some of you probably recognize my name by now from my multiple posts on this board but I am at my wits end here.
I am so paranoid of choking on food and dying that I can't eat anymore.
I am reduced to very soft foods such as creamy soups like tomato and cream of mushroom, pudding and things like that. Basically liquidy food that go down easy.
The feeling I have when I eat is in the back of my throat and upper throat when I swallow if feels like its stuck for hours after I eat. I can't eat solid foods like a hamburger without really feeling like I'm choking then when I drink liquids to get it down I go through probably 3-4 glasses of liquid whatever I'm drinking at the time, be it water or soda or juice or whatever and the feeling still doesn't go away.
Does anyone ever get a pain in their throat when swallowing when you have difficulty swallowing? It really hurts and feels like you have to force the food down and it finally goes down but painfully.
I am so scared that I'm going to get choked and choke to death before anyone can help me.
What do I do? I am a nervous, hypochodriac now because of this.
I had to reschedule my gastoenterology visit until the 20th, only a week away but I'm going to beg him to please please don't stop until he finds what is wrong with me. Its been 2 years now and I've had all I can take.
I just want to eat normally again.
I am supplementing my calorie and vitamin intake with boosts, sometimes a chewable multivitamin and lots of v8 and juice to make sure I'm still getting my calories and vitamins I need since I can't eat right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
Re: So Paranoid Can't Eat

Have you looked into food allergies causing this digestive problem? You are sounding very stressed, be careful you dont end up with anxiety disorder on top of everything else. My husband sometimes would choke on meat and they thought it was caused by his hiatus hernia, he also has irritable bowel and crohns disease, both digestive disorders. You definetly need answers then you my be suprised that the other problems disappear, stress does terrible things to the body. I developed a horrible stutter/spasm and one eye went blurry, all down to stress.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
(male)

moesciphish HB User

Sounds like you might have an esophagus motility problem.. e.i. nutcrackers esophagus or something... have your GI doc do a manometry test... that will tell you for sure... and, I don't think you are going to choke.. having food stuck in your esophagus isn't going to cut off your air supply... its when it goes down the trachea...

Old 06-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
(female)

jhamilton401 HB User

Can I request to be sedated during a manometry test? I was reading up on the test and I know having a tube placed down my throat feeling it in my throat will send me over the edge into a huge panic attack.
Anyone ever had a manometry test? How long does it take? The biggest fear I have is the coughing and gagging and the feel of that tube down my throat.
I have also read that it is very painful sometimes for some people. Is this true?
Are there any other tests other than an endoscopy to see if I have a problem swallowing? Could I ask to have my esophagus stretched or will the doc want to do one of these tests first. I had an endoscopy about a year ago and the results came back normal.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #5
(female)

EosLady HB User

Your symptoms sound very familiar. I don't have them, but work with a lot of people who do.
They have been diagnosed with a disease called Eosinophilic Esophagitis. [removed]

It is treatable, but requires an endoscopy with biopsies to get a correct diagnosis. There are support groups for people with this disease.

I have been put to sleep for the scopes I have had. I have had both endoscopies and colonoscopies. I have a form of this disease that affects the stomach, small intestine, and colon. Fortunately for me, mine is not in the esophagus, but I do have a very strong gag reflux. I could never tolerate anything in my throat awake, and have a rough time even when I am asleep according to my doctors... A number one gag reflex I was told... lol....

I wish you luck in getting a diagnosis and proper treatment for your problem, no matter what it turns out to be you need to feel better.

Eos Lady

Last edited by WanderingMod; 06-16-2006 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Websites that sell products or contain message boards are not permitted.

Closed Thread