It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #1

2littlemonkeys HB User
GB Gang, how goes it?

Today is 4 weeks, 2 days for me. I am generally doing pretty well. Definitely more good days than bad. I have maybe 1-2 bad days a week, which usually consist of stomach issues; nausea, churning stomach with several bathroom trips a day - not really diarrhea though, thank goodness. I just find those days to be so incredibly frustrating though. It's hard to feel so good for 3 or 4 days and then be hit with a bad one. Today's not great, but I indulged in a little of my birthday Godiva last ngiht and I think I'm paying the price. Oh well, it's certainly not like I was before the surgery when I'd have opposite situations, 1-2 good days a week if I was lucky! I don't really have much pain anymore, a fleeting one here or there but that's it.

I've been doing really well with fiber, Mini Wheats are a great source! 6 grams per serving - I'll typically have a serving and a half for breakfast and drink an Ensure Fiber FOS (for digestive health) so 12 grams to start off the day there . I have also switched from chips to triscuits with lunches which adds more. Tropicana has come out with a Fiber added OJ so by dinner on most days I've got nearly all my fiber grams covered!

I'm still dealing with a little bit of anxiety from being sick for so long and being so worried I had a horrible disease. I've learned about "health anxiety" and think for sure that's what I've been dealing with. But it's definitely getting better and I'm starting to get a little more sleep.

Hope you all are healing well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
(female)

paula43 HB User
Re: GB Gang, how goes it?

Hi 2littlemonkeys. Like you, I have good days and bad days. Some days I get shooting pains but those days are gettng less. I know something is different, still hurts a bit when I stretch or move certain ways in bed and out of bed. I also have health anxiety and tend to catastrophize. The important thing is to recognize that you do that and we can be very imaginative. Try to think that if you were the next person, they would not...hard to do but it's a technique that works. Lots of books on this if you search that may be helpful all of them using the cognitive approach. Has helped me some but I am still a worry bird when I get a twinge.

Part of me finds it hard to believe this operation is over and I start to think ok, now what? Will I just be ok now or will I be one of the people with chronic diarrhea or develop some strange malady because of the absence of my gall bladder. I see so many people who have had this done and they don't give it a second thought. They're fine. I wish I could be like them and I am trying.

I am gld to see that you are using bran and ways to heal and stay well. I also changed my eating habits but have had chocolate and pizza and they did send me to the bathroom the next day. I went back to lowfat after that and determined to not goof off for a while.

I have acid reflux and a generally "nervous stomach" which I have had all of my life so I may continue to have symptoms unrelated to the gall bladder. I always had a brain to gut instant reaction, any anxiety would give me instant runs. So now with this compounding things, it makes it tough. All I hope is that everything inside is ok, that the clips don't fall out (this is my obsession despite reassurances that they stay in forever with very few exceptions). And that everything is sealed correctly. I pretty much have stopped worrying but when I get a sharp pain, I get scared. So I distract myself with anything. I think as time passes, we will be more comfortable and confident that things are ok. That's my hope for myself, you and everyone. This has been an interesting experience...not as painful as I imagined. It still seems like a dream of some kind since I expected much worse! Happy healing and good to see an update, hope we do this for a while, it's been very reassuring!

Old 06-16-2006, 05:44 AM   #3

2littlemonkeys HB User
Re: GB Gang, how goes it?

I can relate Paula, any anxiety immediately affects my stomach as well. When my symptoms first started I was sure it was anxiety related. I get diarrhea and totally lose my appetite, which were my symptoms with my GB too. I am doing so much better in that dept, it's just when I have a flare up of nausea here and there that I start to let my mind wander a bit. I have found a site online with a good description of health anxiety and its effects and it is so me. It's very reassuring to read and know that it will probably pass soon. I figure I will give it a few more weeks and if I'm still worrying I'll give my PCP a call and see what I can do. I don't think it'll come to that though, day by day I get a little better. Hopefully you will too.

Try not to worry about the clips, the one thing my surgeon did go over thoroughly were the risks with this surgery and he never mentioned the clips as being an issue.

Hope to hear from our other friends here, I agree, it's all reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who didn't feel totally fine after a week like the doctors make it sound!

Closed Thread