It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2002, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

Emmy2 HB User
Post Survived My Scope!

Hi - It is me, Emmy, from the post below - who was scared to death of getting the endoscope. Well, I have never been so happy in my life - it is over and best of all I survived!!!!

It was pretty easy. Don't remember a thing of the procedure and felt fine the rest of the day - only tired - no big deal. The sedative was my biggest fear so now I know I didn't have a strange reaction and could do it again easily! My only problem was a very, very sore throat on one side and a little cut on my lip. Apparantly (and I don't remember of course), I put up a bit of a fight, gagged quite a bit and didn't co-ooperate to swallow the tube. The doctor says it could have been because I was just so scared!

Anyway the doctor said everything looked pretty good, he saw a red area (I think in the lower esophogus - but don't remember exactly). He took 2 biopsies, one from the stomach, one from the red area of the esophogus. I will get results in 10 days and talk to him then. He did say the h. pylori biopsy was negative (not sure how they knew so quick) - I was teated for HP 6 months ago so seems it was a success.

Anyway, does anyone know what the biopsies look for and what they can show? He did mention we could talk next time about the possiblity of further tests for acid reflux also. If it is only a little red area, I am assuming I don't have a severe problem at this point. What do you guys think - does this sound pretty good? Prior to this, I had images in my mind that the H. Pylori had given me all this acid and eroded huge holes in my stomach and esophogus.

Thanks so much again for your support!
Emmy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hey, Emmy! Good job girl - I knew you could do it!! Anyway, the doc did biopsies of the esophagus to check for cell changes, like Barrett's esophagus, which will show up as abnormal cells under a microscope, and indicate a potential pre-cancerous condition. Did the doc say that the red area was because of GERD? Is he treating you for it? If you continue to have symptoms of GERD, he'll probably start you on a PPI (like Nexium, Prilosec), and then meet with you periodically to see if your symptoms are improving. Some docs like to do annual endoscopies to check for improvement or worsening of your condition. Biopsies of the stomach can reveal cancerous cell changes too or ulcers, or H. pylori.

Keep us posted on your results after you meet with you doctor.

Glad to know you got through it ok,
Katie G

Old 12-09-2002, 08:59 PM   #3

terp99 HB User
Glad to hear you made it throu. Way to go!!!!!

Old 12-10-2002, 09:08 AM   #4
(female)

Emmy2 HB User
Thanks Katie - you have been very helpful. Do you have GERD? (you must since you said you had a lot of scopes!)

No - the doctor didn't say the red area was caused by GERD. He did mention other GERD tests though. Like I said before, he isn't very friendly or forthcoming with information. But, in the hospital, the nurse couldn't find an vein in my arm to put the IV for the sedative and he came in and did it in 2 seconds, no problem (I knew he was good for something!!!!)

I am thinking it must be GERD damage. I guess the other choice is it is leftover damage from all the extra acid I had when I had the H. Pylori (I treated that in June). I have tried Prevacid, Nexium, etc. (recently and before they found the HP) and they only seem to make me feel worse.

Any idea what else a red area could be except GERD damage??? I have had everything else tested - 3 barium swallows, ultrasounds, blood tests, chest x-ray, etc. Guess I will wait for biopsy results too!!
Bye for now!
Emmy

Old 12-10-2002, 10:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi, Emmy. Thanks for the response. Yeah, I have GERD (have had for many, many years), and finally in June 2001 I had surgery to correct it. No more purple pills, no more burning, bad taste in my mouth, nausea, etc. I won't go into detail about the surgery, but I know it was the right thing for me.

Bye for now,
Katie G

Old 12-11-2002, 01:32 PM   #6

Shanny HB User
Hi Emmy! Thanks for posting that you survived and it really wanst all that bad. I am scheduled for a scope next tuesday (dec 17th) and have been a little nervous about it, just hope i can conk out to and not remember a thing that would be the best thing for me. keep us updated on what the results are and stuff...and again thanks for posting...you've helped my fears out a lot! (and Katie G )
~Shanny

Old 12-11-2002, 02:13 PM   #7
(female)

Emmy2 HB User
Hi Shanny
Good luck with your scope. I am sure you won't remember a thing either. Don't be nervous at all! I feel like such a whimp for being so scared. I just wish I didn't lose so much sleep the week before for nothing!!!! Glad I could maybe prevent you from doing the same!! It turned out to be about as scary as a haircut!!!!!!!!!
Emmy

Closed Thread