It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2002, 02:14 PM   #1
(male)

george12 HB User
Post Stomach gas and rapid heart beat

I have had a number of episodes of getting very bad gas and immediately rapid heart beat. I take gas tablets, dring water and burp until the gas is gone and the heart beat comes down. Anyone else get this strange and terrible thing?

Old 11-06-2002, 02:00 PM   #2
(male)

electriman HB User
Yes I get that sometimes and it also gives me palpitations. I think I get it from swallowing air when I am stressed or nervous about something.
Take care
JC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2002, 07:25 PM   #3

jimiz HB User
I get something similar. Alot of burping, but no change in heartbeat that I can tell. I especially get the stomach problem w/ red sauce. Have you taken pepcid or tagamet or anything like that?

Old 11-07-2002, 07:06 PM   #4

faulk HB User
yes i can relate. After eating a broccil,cauiflower,
cheese casserole i had so much gas and was so bloated they put me on a heart moniter. My heart rate was so fast and irregular.When i got rid of the gas my heart went back to normal. I have gerd so if i'm not carefull it affects the rythem of my heart. I've had lots of heart tests done and all turned out normal.

Old 11-23-2002, 12:49 PM   #5
(male)

george12 HB User
Thanks for the replies, staed paxil for the anxiety and it has gotten better but hit me again last night after eating turkey. Stomach bloated up and heart really going fast, seemed like my stomach was going to bloat until it stops my heart! I walked and drank water, ate about 12 GASX and tried to burp until it was gone and heart rate came back to normal. Took about 45 long minutes! I still cannot believe this happens to me.

Old 11-24-2002, 07:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
I have had this reaction many times.

I think when you trap gas it causes pressure on the upper part of your stomach very close to your heart resulting in fast and irregular heart beats and sometimes even higher B/P. The trapped gas can be caused by the type food you eat but I have found it certainly isn't consistent.

Sometimes just the air in ice cream is enough to set off the reaction but it doesn't happen all the time.

I also think it has something to do with irritating the Vagus nerve that wanders around in that area.

I have found that several homeopathic remedies help along with Gas-X. Acontium is a super good remedy for Tachycardia and Mag. Phos. is very good to relax muscles in any place but also in the stomach/ esophagus areas.

Harry

Old 11-24-2002, 12:31 PM   #7

faulk HB User
feeling any better these days. I know its a horrible feeling. try a teaspoon of baking powder in a smmall glass of water it should encourage those burbs, and bring the heart rate down faster.I just did a 10 hr shift yesterday at work with my heart racing and irregular because of gas and acid reflux not fun. Hope things go good for you.

Old 11-25-2002, 08:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

I meant to add that some brands of digestive enzymes ---particularly the ones that have Bromelain in them and too much pineapple(where bromelain come from) causes my esophagus to become irritated ---and results in a reaction.

Harry

Old 11-25-2002, 09:10 AM   #9
(male)

george12 HB User
Thanks all, still having some problem but seems less. Taking tagamet, calcium, drinking lot of water to dilute acid, all seem to help but nights are a worry as that is the worse time for it.
George

Old 12-07-2002, 06:17 PM   #10

toolong HB User
Wow this is something I've been experiencing for 6 months now. I've had every medical test known to man. Stress Tests, GI's, ultrasounds, EGD, blood work, breating tests... ETC. All they have been able to come up with is Acid Reflux/GERD & 3 small nodules on my thyroid which are apparently unrelated to any of the digestive problems. I have tried Prontonix & Prevacid. Neither have worked. I get terrible gas pains in my chest as well. AS I sit here I can feel gas just rumbling through my heart area. It's very uncomfortable and scary. It doesnt seem to matter what I eat. Everything upsets my stomach, which in turn causes my heart rate to go up. My Dr. is not helpful at all.. I've seen 3. They all just act like I should quit my complaining since there isn't anything else they can do. I'm 33 years old and do not want this to go on forever but I don't have any clue as to what else I can do. I was told by my Dr to lose 20 lbs and I would feel better. I've lost 15 and feel like crap still. It's gets much worse at night too. SO now I take Ativan to help me sleep. UGH!!! It's frustrating and scary.

Old 12-21-2002, 10:33 AM   #11
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Me too, same thing.

I've even had episodes where I thought I was having a heart attack and diarrhea at the same time, profuse sweating, almost blacking out, feeling faint, and sometimes rather than a very rapid heart beat (I've counted it up to 160 or higher) I've had a few instances where my heart rate dropped as low as 40bpm.

I drink about 200 ounces of water a day, I cannot lie down flat or I feel like my esophagus "collapses onto itself" like a wet balloon (does that make sense?)... and definitely the gas is an issue and it causes distension and pressure UP into my thorax.

Very uncomfortable.

Old 12-21-2002, 02:41 PM   #12
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
I had the same thing for a long time. I was put on Losec which reduces the amount of acid your stomach produces and its been wonderful...The Er Doc gave the losec to me after a night stay on a heart monitor because I thought it was my heart I felt so awful.

------------------
Cheers
Autumn

Closed Thread