It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2003, 09:37 AM   #1

Shanny HB User
Post Hiatal Scan??

What in the world is a hiatal scan? I think Iam spelling it right I just have never heard of it and I am scheduled to have on next Thursday. Apparently the GI doc wants to make sure my Gallbladder is functioning right? THe nurse said something about maybe having to swallow some stuff and I was like, oh great. I have had an Upper GI done and that Barium was NASTY! So any one ever had this done before? I am not a person who likes surprises so i like to knwo whats gonna happen before it does
~Shanny

Old 02-17-2003, 06:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi shanny. I think the spelling is hida scan, and it's a test where your gall bladder function is checked to determine if it's filling/emptying like it should during digestion. I had 2 done about 6-7 years ago, and I think some of the technique has changed. When I had mine done, they started an IV and injected this stuff (which kind of burned at first at the IV site), which will fill and outline your GB so it can be seen on the monitor, and then after it's completely filled, I was injected with a chemical called CCK to stimulate the digestive process. Then the tech measured how much the GB expelled to determine it's emptying function.

As far as drinking anything a friend of mine just had a hida scan done, and she had to drink plain old milk during the procedure and then the GB emptying was monitored after that. She still had the initial IV to inject the dye that outlines the GB, but she didn't have any CCK injected like I did.

Hopefully someone who's recently had the procedure done can give you more updated info. It's not a horrible thing to go through, but it can take several hours from start to finish depending on how well your GB fills and empties. If there's a lot of time involved, this can indicate malfunction of the GB.

Good luck to you and keep us posted,
Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2003, 09:20 AM   #3

Shanny HB User
Thanks it is a hida scan, i dunno what i was thinkin lol. ANyway I do hope they dont make me drink milk as i am lactose itolerant, that would not be cool. but im sure they have lactose free milk or whatever. i thinks i am gonna try to look it up on the internet and see cause i hate surprises anyway thanks again.

Old 02-17-2003, 01:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
I don't think it is a requirement that you drink milk. I had one done a few weeks ago and during the scan the tech wanted to stimulate my digestion so he went and got me a cup of tea and some crackers, which I ate and drank periodically throughout the exam. He also made me get up and walk around for a few minutes in between pictures to stimulate digestion even more, and allow the food to move through my system quicker. They just want to be able to view the gallbladder while it is in the process of digesting food and liquid. If you tell them you can't have milk, then I am sure there won't be any problem at all with getting you something else like some juice or tea.

And Katie is right about the time thing. The scan can take several hours from start to finish, but if it takes more than 2 hours or so then that means you do not have a normally functioning gallbladder. The tech told me that for some people it can take as long as 4-6 hours, but that "you don't usually find those people walking around on the street!" He said that if it takes that long they don't let you leave the hospital...they send you right to the ER! Mine took about an hour and a half from the time the dye was injected.

As far as the dye is concerned, you do not have to swallow anything like you would for a barium test. They start an IV and give you the dye that way. They had a whole bunch of trouble getting an IV started for me because my veins are terrible (between the tech and the nurse, they stuck me about 4 times). Rather than being straight my veins are curved, so even though they got the needle in each time, they could not advance it enough to put in the line for the IV. So finally the tech just found a vein and injected the dye right into it, rather than having to advance an IV through it. That worked just fine. They did not use CCK with me because my dr didn't order it. Now he is saying that he may want me to go back for one with CCK. My dr is wonderful, but why he didn't just do that the first time is beyond me. But anyway, there is nothing to the Hida Scan. All you do is lay on the table while the machine takes pictures. And if the monitor is within view, you can actually see your insides lighting up on the screen. Kewl! Getting the IV started is the only part that sucks, but if you have good veins then you should not have a problem at all. As for me, well I left there bruised and battered from all the times they stuck me! I hope you have better luck than I did. Let us know what it shows. I hope everything turns out OK.

Good luck,
Elyse

P.S. I don't know what they told you, but the tech told me that I could have had water to drink, I just couldn't have any food for about 6-8 hours before the scan. (but I'm not too sure about the food thing, so just go with whatever your dr tells you).

[This message has been edited by purple2067 (edited 02-17-2003).]

Old 02-18-2003, 09:59 AM   #5

Shanny HB User
Thank you guys so much for the info! IT is really helpful and now i won't be apprehensive before the test. (it is scheduled Thurs. at 8(cntrl) The nurse said nothing to eat after midnight, she didnt say ne thing about drinking but I prob wont anyway, just in case. Last time I had an IV in me, there was no problem, just got a big bruise for like 2 wks, lol! Anyway, thanks again for the info-ill let y'all know how it goes.
~Shanny

Old 02-20-2003, 09:53 AM   #6

Shanny HB User
GOt back from the hospital a few hours ago, man that must have been the longest test i have been through so far. They started the dye right before 8 o clock and it wasn't finsihed until 10. I had to pee soooooooo bad around 9 so it was a REALLY long hour after they injected the second stuff, some kind of horomone to stimulate the GB? Anyway, not sure the results yet, but I think everything is ok. Wel,l again thanks for the help!
~Shanny

Old 02-21-2003, 08:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile

Hi Shanny. The second stuff they injected you with to stimulate the gall bladder was probably CCK. The docs will look for how much of it empties out of your gall bladder. Did you have any pain/spasm of the GB when you were injected or when the chemical got to the GB? During my 2nd hida scan, the GB pain was so INTENSE after I was injected with CCK; that's how my doc knew my GB was my problem. Keep us posted on your results!

Katie G

Old 02-21-2003, 09:37 AM   #8

Shanny HB User
Katie- the nurse warned me I might have some pain and nausea with the injection. I had a small amount of pain (about 3 on a 1-10 scale) and i did have some nausea(5 on a 1-10 scale) Othewise it was just along wait. How long did it take to finsih yur two hida scans?
~Shanny

Old 02-21-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking

well I am glad that the test went well. Did you tell them that you had to go to the bathroom? It would have been perfectly fine for them to let you get up during the test to go pee! I hope the results are good.

Old 02-21-2003, 10:44 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile

Hi again Shanny. I really can't remember for sure (the first one was done in 1996; the 2nd about 6 months later). I do remember reporting to the hospital around 8:00, and not getting until around 12:00 and I only live 5 minutes from the hospital. The first hida scan I really had no reaction at all (as far as pain), just a little nausea, and so my doc wasn't willing to do anything with the gall bladder at that time. However, my "attacks" became more frequent (by the time it was removed they were every or every other day), and during the 2nd hida scan, the nausea become more pronounced, and the CCK set off a huge "attack." So even though my ejection fracture (how much the GB empties during the test) was considered "normal", the fact that I had a GB attack during the test indicated GB problems.

Talk to you again,
Katie G

Old 02-22-2003, 11:08 AM   #11

Shanny HB User
Purple- yes i mentioned to the nurse how badly i needed to pee but she said if i got up it would ruin the results and they would have to do it all over agian, it was weird.
katie- thanks for the info you've been really helpful. I don't think I had nearly the amoun of pain considered for a GB attack. I mostly get pain in my left side when i have an "attack", rarely is it on the right side and it doesnt stick around long when it is.

~Shanny

Old 02-24-2003, 08:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I always thought that gallbladder pain is confined to the right side. But you know, when I was in the ER with my first attack, and also for days afterward, I had pain in the left side of my back as well as the severe pain under my right rib cage. I thought that it couldn't possibly be my gallbladder, since the gallbladder is nowhere near the left side. Hmmmmm.... I wonder if it is possible

It is very strange to me that the nurse would not let you get up.....the tech who did my test INSISTED that I get up and walk around to get everything moving, and while I did that he got the film and everything ready that he needed. I guess different hospitals do things differently.

Old 02-25-2003, 06:20 PM   #13

Shanny HB User
I wish the hospital did it the way they did yours, then Icould have avoided that long and painful 40 mnts LOL. ANyway, the dr called today said everything was fine which kind of makes me a little mad, i lay there for 2 hrs for no reason. Oh well, just another test down and no more answers.
~shanny

Old 02-25-2003, 07:57 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking

Yeah, I know what you mean! I hate having to hold it in!

I know how you feel about wishing the test results would have shown something. It's very frustrating when you know there is something wrong and they can't figure out what it is. Sometimes I pray that one of my test results will come back positive so I can stop searching for a diagnosis! For the moment my stomach is feeling better. Now I've just got to work on getting myself on a good diet.

Old 02-26-2003, 08:40 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile

Hi shanny. So sorry your test results were negative (not that I wish you to have something serious!), but the same thing happened to me. Everything came back as "normal", but I knew it wasn't and as my problems worsened, my doc ended up sending me for a 2nd opinion just to diagnose my problems with my GB. Hang in there - something will show up one day.

Keep us posted,
Katie G

Closed Thread