It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2003, 01:42 PM   #1
Inactive

N2golf HB User
Post What's good to eat for a sour stomach?

What's good to eat when you have a sore/sour stomach? I'll say it again, I have had more BM's in the past two days than I usually have in 2 weeks! I think that my stomach is tender from all the cramping and BM's I've been having and I'm not sure what to eat or drink. I thought water would irritate the stomach and that 7-up would settle it, do I have that backwards? Also is yogurt good to coat the stomach or is dairy more than likely to sour it more? Anyone have suggestions?

The Following User Says Thank You to N2golf For This Useful Post:
shellypep1 (03-21-2012)
Old 03-05-2003, 09:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
Yogurt, Ginger Ale, Saltine Crackers (with ou without peanut butter). I recommend these,

The Following User Says Thank You to farscape66 For This Useful Post:
shellypep1 (03-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2003, 09:35 AM   #3
Inactive

N2golf HB User
Isn't Gingerale to sweet? What's in it that's better for you than 7-up or sprite? everyone says Gingerale is better but when I compared, it had more sugar and sodium in it than Sierra Mist. Yougurt doesn't sour in the tummy? A milk product?

Old 03-05-2003, 10:01 AM   #4

Shanny HB User
crackers, like saltines, someone else mentioned, i also enjoy graham crackers-theya re the all natural kind and dont have any added sugar. Also try chicken noodle soup or some other bland kind of soup, dont eat any with a tomato base. Also- forget the soda, stick to water- if you want a different taste use stale sprite, one that doesnt have all the bubbles. Check ingrediaents of stuff before you eat it, a main ingrediant to look out for is sorbitol, which is surpisingly everywhere, its a artificial sweetner that can cause some ppl (inlcuding me) ALOT of problems. If i eat it i get stomach cramps and dirreah 14-24hrs after I comsume it and it continues for up to 24hrs after tha tto, so be careful. HAppy eating LOL.
~Shan

Old 03-05-2003, 10:22 AM   #5
Inactive

N2golf HB User
Shan,

Forgive me for being stupid here....what is PPL?

Old 03-06-2003, 11:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

successtory HB User
Hi N2Golf,

I have a hiatal hernia and can tell you the things I can eat without that aweful tasting (smelling) acid coming back up on you.

Saltine crackers, Ginger ale (left out so no fizz)-ginger is FANTASTIC for your digestive system. You can get raw ginger at a grocery market, grate it up fine and stew in hot water. It tastes good and the warm ginger tea will make you feel tons better. OK, the rest of the menu...carbs (noodles, bread) rice. Milk literally puts the fire out for me. However, the lactic acid may be too much for your tummy. Vanilla ice cream!!!!! oooo yummmmm. (no chocolate though). The ice cream will cool the fire in your stomach too.
Bananas are great....avocados are pretty good too. Can't think of any other fruit....the others may bug your stomach. Vegetables are excellent like carrots, celery, potatoes/yams (no butter-a bit of sour cream OK), and string beans. The others may bother your stomach. NO GASEOUS vegies like broccoli-asparagas- cauliflower-cabbage....and the like..NO NO NO.

OK....dairy products: every is pretty much OK to tolerance except for cheese and butter milk. The way it is processed is really hard on your stomach. But cottage cheese, yogurt, sour cream, milk and ice cream (vanilla or strawberry only) are all good for tum tum.

Speaking of tum tum.....have you tried TUMS or it's generic? I wouldn't go with any other brand because they use metals in their formulas--hard on stomach. There is also OTC Zantac and Tagament. Both will help to control the acidity level of your stomach.

Currently, I am taking Protonix....but that is because my father passed away from Esophagael Cancer due to HIS hiatal hernia and his acidic problems he had every day for over 40 years--I have had all the same symptoms as he had through the years. So the Protonix is especially designed to help keep the Cancer Monster away from my esophagus! It not only controls the acidity in the stomach, but also helps with the damage already done to the esophagus. You bet I'm going to take it!

Have a great day!

------------------
successtory
Oct 2000: Repetitive Stress Injury-Inverted Hernia
Feb 2001: MRI. Shows only slight bulge at L4-L5
Dec 2001: Discogram/CT scan shows Inverted Hernia at L5-S1. L4-L5 & L5-S1 ruptured in all 4 quadrants. Unable to walk.
Feb 2002: IDET, Nucleoplasty, Intra-Discal Injections
Sept 2002: Rated in the top 10% for successful patients. Retraining for new career.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:55 AM   #7

Shanny HB User
hey ppl is just a shortened verson of people....get it... ppl,,,lol sorry i am too used to using shortened words for things i can get carried away
~Shan

Old 03-07-2003, 10:09 AM   #8
Inactive

N2golf HB User
Wink

Gottcha!!!!

Old 03-07-2003, 02:33 PM   #9
Inactive

N2golf HB User
Smile

Thanks again so much successtory!!!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2003, 08:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Yogurt, plain, no fat, mixed with water to make yogurt milk works for me too.
No it won't sour in your stomach unless you have an outrageous fever and even then because of the amount of beneficial bacteria that you NEED it would probably be helpful too.
kat

Closed Thread