It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

Leeshy HB User
Stomach meds not working. Suggestions?

I've been diagnosed with esophagitis, gastritis and acid reflux. I'm a 19-yr old female. I've cut out all spicy and acidic foods and have been on Protonix 40mg for about a year. I'm not a very anxious or stressed-out person. Problem is, my symptoms aren't better. I can tell the meds are doing something cuz if I forget to take them, the symptoms increase to an almost unbearable level. But I've taken the meds consistently for a year and still have nausea, stomach pain (burning pain sensation in stomach), difficulty swallowing (I choke a lot on water and juicy foods like watermelon), constant fatigue/tiredness, alternating constipation and diarreah, along with other symptoms that can go along with these conditions. I've been tested for other stuff like H. Pylori and gastroparesis, among others, but was negative. After thousands of dollars and way too many tests, I decided to stop going to the gastroenterologist and see how things went. The doctor was fine with that and said that the Protonix would get rid of my symptoms. That was several months ago. Is anyone having better results with a different medication or treatment? I'm not big on taking lots of drugs, and in a perfect world I'd take something for a couple months and I'd be cured. I'd very much appreciate any insight or tips. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

tlily HB User
Re: Stomach meds not working. Suggestions?

I have been on protonix for 4 months now. i have been taking 40MG daily and for a while was taking two daily. Stopped taking two a day because of side effects. Doctor added 300MG of zantac and nothing helped. I am going to start to take nexium tomorrow. I think yiu have to find the right med cocktail as everyone is different.

I can really empathize with you because I also am frustrated and I just want to feel good again. I would ask your doctor to try another med.

Tlily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
(female)

EosLady HB User
Re: Stomach meds not working. Suggestions?

Hi Leeshy,
I hope you are feeling better....
Couple of things... If a PPi isn't working there are many others to try... Don't let them tell you that is the only one you can take. I take 800 mg of Tagamet 2Xa day for my stomach pain.... It is no longer a drug of choice, but it works for me...

Also, if you try other meds and they still don't work, there is a disease that does that... Eosinophilic Esophagitis fits the symptoms you mention. Often people with it don't respond to the acid blocking meds. I don't know why that is but they just don't seem to.

The only way to diagnose it is with an endoscopy and numerous biopsies. The biopsies need to be taken the full length of the esophagus and the stomach and small intestine... Many people with EE will have no visible evidence of it so docs don't always biopsy...... Most Peds will biopsy, but often don't know what they are looking for.

This disease is considered rare, although with the increasing numbers of patients being diagnosed it seems not so rare... It is estimated that it may actually be more prevalent than things like Crohns when it is better diagnosed...

I am sorry you have suffered with this for so long, and I hope you ge t the answers you deserve....

There are some good websites out there for information if you search for Eosinophilic Esophagitis, or Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis..

Eos Lady

Old 07-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
(female)

Leeshy HB User
Smile Re: Stomach meds not working. Suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help, EoSLady and Tlily. I will most definitely follow up on your suggestions.

Closed Thread