It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

health-junkie HB User
Exclamation Stomach Pain

Hello everyone,

I'm posting on behalf of my husband. He started having horrible stomach spasms last Sunday, which lasted all night. At 4 am on Sunday the spasms became so unbearable that we had to call an ambulance and go to the hospital. The emergency room staff gave him some painkillers, did some blood tests, excluded ulcer but other than that were completely useless. They sent him home and told him to come back if it gets any worse. Since then we saw 4 doctors, none of which can tell us anything. My husband was in a lot of pain last night. He can't walk straight because it really hurts his stomach. He only walks in a doubled over kind of way or he can crawl I suppose. Sometimes the pain is so unbearable, he is in absolute agony. He can't even talk. He just closes his eyes and kind of moans or rolls about on the floor. The pain is concentrated in the upper area of his stomach, so it's not intestinal. Thus, IBS and similar are excluded. Doctors also excluded gallbladder, kidney, gastric problems and all potentially life threatening conditions. They said symptoms don't match. So, we're really not sure what else it could be because doctors have no idea either. If someone has experienced anything similar before, I'd be grateful if you shared your story, so that perhaps it could shed some light on our situation. My husband is 39 and he has no nausea or vomiting to go with the pain. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: Stomach Pain

It sounds like the cramping and spasms associated with a hiatal hernia.
The best thing that I have found to relieve such painful cramping is a homeopathic remedy --- Magnesia Phos--- taken as needed. You can buy it at a health food store.

Every cell in your body contains magnesium -- lacking it can cause muscle cramping as well as spasms anywhere in the body!!
The Doctors should have done a Magnesium screen test but sometimes it does not tell if the magnesium is at the cellular level or not.

Alot of people(80%) lack magnesium even though it is in alots of foods.

I wish your husband well~~~Harry

Old 06-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Stomach Pain

I can only tell you that I had the same symptoms one night when I was 29. It got so bad I had to leave work early and went to bed after taking two sleeping pills at 9:00. At 4:00 AM, my then wife woke up and felt me and I was all clammy feeling to the touch. She somehow got me in the car and raced to the hospital. Diagnosis? Perforated ulcer of the stomach. To be more accurate it was in the duodenum, between the stomach and the small intestine. Doctors said later, if she had waited another hour to bring me to the hospital, I most likely wouldn't have made it.

I'm not trying to scare you, but all the symptoms and how you describe what is going on, sounds very familiar.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:08 PM   #4
(female)

EosLady HB User
Re: Stomach Pain

Doesn't sound like fun at all.... I had a similar situation, but the pain moved from the stomach to encompass the entire abdomin within a few days... Did they do any xrays? ultrasounds? How about blood work ups?

Mine turned out to be eosinophilic Gastroenteritis, and was diagnosed by a GI after a colonoscopy and then later an endoscopy... Has anyone suggested doing anything like this to check him out?

I am not a doctor just a fellow GI patient, but I wanted to suggest a clear liquid diet for a couple of days.... When the Gi tract is inflamed, digesting food can make the pain worse. Clear liquids help it rest and may help relieve some of the pain....

If they do scope him, insist on biopsies so they can see anything in the tissue that might not be visible... Have they dont a CBC with Diff? If they have you might ask for a copy and see if everything is within normal range... Not really anything you can do, but it might give some insight....

If you haven't seen a GI yet, please get a referral to one asap.... Pain like that shouldn't be ignored...

Good luck,
Eos lady

Old 07-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
(female)

health-junkie HB User
Exclamation Re: Stomach Pain

Hi again everyone,

Thanks for taking time to reply to me. My husband is feeling a little bit better now but his stomach still hurts. Thursday was particularly bad. He had this absolutely excruciating pain that he described as if someone was drilling holes in his stomach non-stop. It was a total agony. We've done X-rays, abdominal ultrasound, blood tests, urine tests and nothing shows up. The consultant we're seeing said all potentially life threatening conditions like perforated ulcer or peritonitis are excluded and referred us for an endoscopy which will be in another couple of weeks.

My husband still doesn't walk completely straight. He is sort of clutching his tummy quite often and can only walk in a semi-doubled over sort of way. 45 degrees if you like. As soon as he straightens out, his stomach hurts. He just can't stand up straight for even 5 minutes. Well, I suppose we should count small blessings and see it as a huge improvement that he slept through last night. In 2 weeks, it was the first night when his stomach didn't hurt. So, at least he had some proper rest.

Now, I'd like to ask is it possible that it's ulcer if he doesn't have any burning/heartburn sort of feeling to go with the pain?

Closed Thread