It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

health-junkie HB User
Exclamation Suspected Gallstones

Hello again everyone,

Some of you may have read my previous post about my husband. He's been admitted to hospital again last night with severe unbearable stomach pain. He's been sufferring with this pain since last Sunday.

Today, the consultant said it was possible that the pain is being caused by the gallstones. My huband hasn't had his ultrasound scan yet, so we don't know for sure.

In the meantime, I'd like to ask a few questions about gallstones because from this board, I realise that quite a few people have this condition. And I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on what could be happening with my husband.

The thing is no doctor is sure that it's gallstones he is having because he isn't presenting any other symptoms apart from very severe pain. There is no nausea, no vomiting and no diarrhea or anything like that. Just severe unbearable pain that even morphine doesn't relieve for at least an hour. Could someone please tell me if it's possible to have gallstones without nausea, vomiting and temperature or do those have to be present in all cases?

And also if it is indeed the gallstones will my husband have to have surgery or is it something that you can live with and the pain just comes and goes?

Finally, what's the best pain management in this situation? Thanks.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
(female)

tonitonita HB User
Re: Suspected Gallstones

I don't understand why the delay with an ultrasound? I've had gallbladder problems for years. The first incident happened back in the 80's with pain and vomiting sending me to the ER. At that time I had some tests that didn't show any problem with my gallbladder, but that's what they suspected. Anyway, I knew to avoid the foods that caused pain. I hadn't had major problems until last week when a sudden attack was so severe I went to the the ER. I wasn't admitted. They gave me pepcid IV and something for the pain and scheduled an ultrasound for the NEXT day. There was vomiting with this attack but there have been times where I've had just a lot of pain and no vomiting and it eventually passed. Anyway, I had the ultrasound which showed gallstones and the recommendation was surgery. It won't get better on it's own and as the doctor said, it's not the gallstones that are the problem, it's the gallbladder. So...why are they making your husband wait for a test that could either confirm or eliminate the gallbladder as the cause of your husband's problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
(female)

health-junkie HB User
Exclamation Re: Suspected Gallstones

Hi,

Thanks for taking time to reply to me. The reason why we have to wait is because we're in the UK and our health service is free. Well, paid for with tax payers money, not private insurance. That's why most of the time we have to wait for things and in all honesty it could be at least a month before we get the ultrasound scan because it all depends on the availability of doctors who can do it and the equipment they have to use. That's the problem with that kind of healthcare system but I suppose if you look on the bright side of it, if anyone needs medical help, they will get it regardles of whether they are a street drunk or the Prime Minister and we don't need to buy insurance for that. But the problem is that quite a lot of things are very slow and inefficient. I bet in the US it's unheard of that people who are in pain can spend 4-5 hours in the emergency department waiting for doctor's attention because the doctor isn't available. Here, on the other hand, it's fairly typical for most hospitals except a few. So, that's why we're still waiting for the test and the pain isn't going away. It seems to be a lot worse at around 7-8 pm in the evening and then 5-6 am in the morning. It's just absolute agony and even morphine takes ages to kick in. So, I really don't know how much more of it he can take and how long we have to wait before they understand what the problem is.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:43 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Suspected Gallstones

OK, since it's suspect gb problems, he needs to be on a fat free diet. NO butter, cheese, milk, etc. If it is gb, that should help some. And yes, he will have to have it out if he has stones or low ejection rate (HIDA scan is the test for that if the stones don't show up on the ultrasound). The stones won;t go away and will continue to rattle around in there causing pain. And it may be that one is lodged in the duct now causing all this. The surgery is done laproscopically (just 3 holes in the abdomen) and is rather simple. I jog a lot and was able to jog 2 miles one week after having mine out. Now this is assuming he's not hugely overweight or doesn't end up with emergency surgery....in which case they may have to do a full cut under the ribcage to remove it. Hope this is helpful.

Closed Thread