It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2002, 04:22 PM   #1

Emster HB User
Post To Nexium users: How many do you take a day?

I talked to a ER doc today and he said that a person with acid reflux disease should take about 300 mg of medication a day.
I was very surprised at that.
We were talking about me taking a prescription for it and he mentioned how expensive the stuff is.
Then he said I could take Zantac 75, but take 4 since they are only 75 mg each.
Then later I read on the box to NOT take more than 2 a day.
My mom gave me about twelve 40mg of Nexium.
I took one today and my acid reflux is still bothering me, especially my breathing.

So I was wondering how many of you out there taking Nexium take more than 1 a day??

Thanks,

Emster

[This message has been edited by Emster (edited 12-08-2002).]

Old 12-08-2002, 06:04 PM   #2

Dunkers HB User
Hey Emster,
Just finishing 6 weeks of Nexium for moderate acid reflux. I am sure the doctor meant 300 mgs of Zantac, not Nexium. The most Nexium I have read being prescriped is 80 mgs. (2 pills per day). Did they do any actual tests on you to determine that you have acid reflux? I assume so or you probably wouldn't have got the Nexium. Give the drugs some time to work, some people can take up to a few weeks before they notice a difference. Another tip, beware of some of the nasty side effects and if you do experience them get right back to the doctor and have him change to a different PPI. I had a terrible reaction to Achipex and ended up on Nexium which has worked very well for me. Good luck and keep posting your progress!
Cheers,
Dunk.

P.S. Forgot to mention I was taking 40 mgs (1 pill time released per day) Also, best to take the medication in the a.m. 1 hour before eating breakfast.

[This message has been edited by Dunkers (edited 12-08-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2002, 10:29 PM   #3

abcd12345 HB User
hey,

i am just curious about your comment: "reflux is still bothering me, especially my breathing".. what kind of breathing problems do you have??.. i was wondering because i ve been having a shortness of breath feelin for quite a while, and so far the only the UGI test showed some reflux... x-ray and PMF test came out normal... still have to wait two months to see a gastroenterologist, so i do not know if my problem is related.. has your doctor told you that your breathing difficulty is dirrectly caused by reflux??.. in regards to nexium, my family doctor gave me a two week supply of 40gm.. i tried it, but did not really notice any major improvements (maybe less throat clearing - but thats all)..

best,
peter

[This message has been edited by abcd12345 (edited 12-09-2002).]

Old 12-09-2002, 06:14 AM   #4

Emster HB User
Question

I was diagnosed with acid reflux last year. I had a Barrium Swallow.
It seems like everything I take doesn't work.

The ER doc yesterday said that anyone with acid reflux needs to take at least 300 mg of medication.
(No wonder these little doses aren't working for me!)
That's when he said that taking stuff like Nexium, which is over a $100 per bottle, would end up costing a lot having to take that many mg a day.
So that's when he told me to try taking about 4 Zantac 75's. It would be cheaper.

I am going to finish taking the Nexium. They don't bother me at all. My mom gave them to me. She couldn't tolerate them. I've got about 12 of them.

Anyway, about the breathing.
When my acid reflux acts up, it affects my breathing. Almost like having asthma. My lungs are clear though, which is good.

I guess I will finish up the Nexium and see if I see a difference. I would just like to try something that works instantly.

And by the way, did anyone else laugh when they read the stuff we're NOT supposed to eat?
Isn't that list pretty much every food on earth???

Emster

Old 01-14-2003, 09:12 PM   #5
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
I take ranitidine prescription Zantac 120 mg twice a day because it is covered on my drung plan. But the best thing I have found is Losec 20mg twice a day. It helped alot and I went down to once a day. Its not covered on my plan so I can only get it when I can. The ranitidine isnt great but it would probably help more than zantac 75. Good luck

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD for 12 years
Carpal Tunnel syndrome
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured now I think)
Teen daughters that have had medical problems and I will help and over advice on what areas I am knowledgable in.
Hysterectomy in 2002 due to endometrial bleeding.
Hernia repair in 98.

Old 03-18-2003, 06:57 PM   #6
Inactive

N2golf HB User
You are only suppose to take Nexium once daily.

Old 03-18-2003, 10:33 PM   #7

giupset HB User
Red face

Take 300 mg. of what?? Maybe Zantac or Tagamet! Be careful!!

All PPIs are once, maybe twice a day at the most for severe cases which accompany other diseases. Nexium is the new "purple pill" - it use to be Prilosec but that lost it's patent so they needed to make something similar to keep the money raking in.

Old 03-20-2003, 07:08 AM   #8

yvonne818461 HB User
dunkers i have a question. what kind of reaction did you have to aciphex? im suppose to start taking it and know quite a few people on it and none of them had any problems. thanks rachelle

Old 04-29-2003, 05:45 PM   #9

rach923 HB User
i'm brand new to this website, but i think i can clarify some things for you (i have a summary of myself under "I'm new- I have a complicated digestive history- please read!"- or something to that effect i also work at a pharmacy, so that helps...what your er doc was talking about was the normal dosage for ACID REDUCERS- this includes stuff like the pepsid, mylanta, zantac, tagament...what these drugs actually do is neutralize the acid in your stomach to a normal pH level to prevent indigestion. the nexium,prilosec,prevacid,aciphex are PROTON PUMP INHIBITORS. these drugs actually BLOCK the HCL (stomach acid) pores in you stomach lining so that the acid is never released in the first place...therefore, the two types of medications serve slightly different purposes...thats why the dosages are so drastically different....i use 80 mg nexium a day, but the majority of people only need 20 or 40...hope this helps!

August 1999: diagnosed with GERD and IBS...put on zantac, then aciphex
Spring 2000: diagnosed with TMJ...have lower splint
September 2000: hospitalized for failure to thrive due to malnutrition and dehydration; fed with ng tube for 3 months, put on prilosec
2001-02: developed chronic sinusitis/rhinitis from NG tube, put on nasonex and allegra
January 2002: switched GI's, diagnosed with hiatal hernia, switched to nexium, added peppermint oil, put on bentyl PRN for pain, zoloft for nausa
March 2003: IBS getting worse, switched PRN bentyl to BID levbid ER
May 2003: diagnosed with asthma from GERD, put on advair and singulair, albuterol PRN
May 2003: back pain and limited mobility, caused by 2002 car accident and dance injury, unidentified
April-June 2003: minor ear irritation and hearing problems, and extra sinus swelling, unidentified
May-June 2003: heartburn recurring even with meds!- GI put me on 40mg Pepcid Rx in the morning and at bedtime...Seems to be holding over till August...
July: chest x-ray came back, found mild thoracic scoliosis, and small "heart shadowing", EKG results are coming...

Old 04-30-2003, 03:48 PM   #10

cathy2752 HB User
Please DO NOT take anything close to 300mg of NEXIUM...The normal dose is 20-40mg per day...I have a very severe pre-cancer of the esophagus and I take 100mg per day which is way over the avg. dose even for pre-cancer.....That dr. was not talking about PPIs.......Take care............Cathy

Old 05-11-2003, 05:43 PM   #11

rach923 HB User
Red face

thank you for that last comment cathy!!! someone named "rsg" just posted some stuff on my post called "i'm new- i have complicated digestive disorders- please read!!" post...i know you been on it before, you might wanna check it out... she replied that "80mg is not even close to the top of the spectrum" for acid reflux pills, and i tried to tell her it was, saying that maybe she was confused ACID REDUCERS with PPI'S...i told her that you (i said someone named "cathy" in the forum) was on 100 but she had barrets, and that is a high dosage, just thought i'd let you know!! check it out!!!!

rach

August 1999: diagnosed with GERD and IBS...put on zantac, then aciphex
Spring 2000: diagnosed with TMJ...have lower splint
September 2000: hospitalized for failure to thrive due to malnutrition and dehydration; fed with ng tube for 3 months, put on prilosec
2001-02: developed chronic sinusitis/rhinitis from NG tube, put on nasonex and allegra
January 2002: switched GI's, diagnosed with hiatal hernia, switched to nexium, added peppermint oil, put on bentyl PRN for pain, zoloft for nausa
March 2003: IBS getting worse, switched PRN bentyl to BID levbid ER
May 2003: diagnosed with asthma from GERD, put on advair and singulair, albuterol PRN
May 2003: back pain and limited mobility, caused by 2002 car accident and dance injury, unidentified
April-June 2003: minor ear irritation and hearing problems, and extra sinus swelling, unidentified
May-June 2003: heartburn recurring even with meds!- GI put me on 40mg Pepcid Rx in the morning and at bedtime...Seems to be holding over till August...
July: chest x-ray came back, found mild thoracic scoliosis, and small "heart shadowing", EKG results are coming...

Closed Thread