It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2002, 09:34 PM   #1

maladjusted HB User
Post green poop?

I know this may sound gross, but it's true. I've been experiencing bright green bowel movements for months now. I used to drink heavily, but haven't for over 2 years now. Years ago I was I had some liver enzymes done and I was told I had a rather "mild" case of non-viral hepatitis from alcohol abuse. I DID have often have diaherra when I was drinking, but never green. I've searched online about what could possibly causing this, but have had no real luck. My diet is very good and balanced; lots of vegatables/fruits, grains, and meat. Anyone have any info or links on what could possibly cause green feces, and should I be alarmed?

Old 12-04-2002, 06:04 AM   #2

REELEE HB User
Wink

Hi!!!

I wouldn't worry. The same thing happens to me and my brother all the time. It has happened since we were babies and now we are in our thirties. Bright green!! My mom always told us that we probably had a stomach virus or something!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2002, 11:35 AM   #3
Inactive

Twist16 HB User
malajusted,

Like as said, don't worry about it! You eat lots of green vegetables, and they have the dye in them called chlorophyll. But, if you get green poop.. that means your body is getting a little TOO much chlorophyll. So try to cut back on some of the greens!

~Twist

Old 12-05-2002, 09:16 PM   #4

kendrad HB User
Just a bit of info..I had gall bladder problems about 3 weeks ago until they decided to yank it out, and I'll let you know they day before my surgery I had bright green poop, scared me to death wondering what the problem was, what happened was once my gall bladder had settled down for them to do the surgery my bile had gone into my bowels and thats what caused the poop to be green, thats what i was told by my doctor.Do you have gall bladder problems??

Old 05-26-2003, 07:17 PM   #5

jsiplon HB User
I'm having similar bm's and had my gall bladder removed two weeks ago. How odd. Does this mean my liver is acting up?? It's been going on a couple of days, no additional veges than normal, not extra vitamins...? just green poop?

Old 05-26-2003, 07:38 PM   #6

lckwp HB User
I've been having yellow & green stool for close to 2 years intermittantly. And I haven't had anything BUT yellow & green stool for several months now (at least since January).

I will say that I've had 3+ months to observe this crap (bad pun). (That's how long I've been in pain & sick.)

And I will say that when I eat anything in the bread family, chicken, I get yellow stool. If I stick to almost solely vegetables, it's green.
But it's almost always LIGHT. Unless I ONLY eat vegetables for a few days in a row (and nothing else)... and then it's darker green.

I've read that light or yellow stool indicates a lack of bile. And supposedly light stool would be the case if someone eats a high fat meal.

Almost everyone I've talked to who's had my symptoms, and had their gallbladder out, they say that they had yellow & green stool before their surgery.

I've been diagnosed with gallbladder dysfunction, and I'm scheduled for surgery.

You could read my full story here: [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum42/HTML/001171.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum42/HTML/001171.html[/url]

I should say that obviously I've had oddly coloured poops for several reasons over the years... I mean, for example, I had this blueberry soft ice cream about 8 years ago, and it looked like I'd pooped smurfs the next day. haha.
And I remember one time I ate BooBerry cereal, and my stool was a neon green the next day.
So obviously other things can cause odd colours.

However, with your history of a possible liver problem... the liver DEFINITELY has to do with bile. And with that in mind, it probably wouldn't hurt for you to run this by your doctor and perhaps they'll want to test you.

Old 05-26-2003, 10:33 PM   #7

HRATL HB User
mine always does that with eating green veggies....

Old 08-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
(male)

ben07 HB User
Re: green poop?

Hi. Since I have been drinking (crystal light - powder drink- Great Value Brand)
I have been having green poop. ill just add more powder fiber to my drink and see. Has anyone else experience the same thing from the same source?
Just wondering.
Ben07

Closed Thread