It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User
L-glutamine for bowel repair

I've been feeling a lot better this week since I started taking a product called IntestiNew and Intestinal Bowel Soother by Renew Life. They contain gentle Chinese and Western herbal fibres and anti-spasmodic herbs. But the main thing is 5000mg of L-glutamine, an amino acid. Since my hemorroids are much smaller and I have no more spasms, bloating or constipation, I wanted to know more about l-glutamine. Here's what I found.

The gastrointestinal tract is by far the largest user of L-glutamine in the body. The small intestine accounts for the largest uptake of L-glutamine of any organ, absorbing this amino acid from the lumen of the gut as well as from the bloodstream. Epithelial cells that line the small intestine (termed enterocytes) use L-glutamine as their principal metabolic fuel, eventually converting it to ATP and energy. Since enterocytes have little L-glutamine synthesizing activity and contain a great amount of glutaminase (metabolizes L-glutamine), these cells of the gastrointestinal tract are very dependent on a constant supply of L-glutamine.

The gastrointestinal tract is continuously exposed to the exterior environment of the body via food, liquid, and swallowed salivary and mucus secretions, and therefore contains a large number of immune cells along its length. L-glutamine's positive effects on the GI tract appear to stem from its ability to "feed" immune cells as well as mucosal cells. A decrease in L-glutamine can result in atrophy of the gut mucosa, decreased gut-associated lymphoid tissue (GALT), and increased intestinal permeability. Injury of any tissue excluding the intestines shunts L-glutamine away from the blood and into these tissues, making less L-glutamine available for the intestines. As L-glutamine is depleted, wound healing is impaired, intestinal permeability increases, and the risk of microbial translocation, sepsis, and multiple organ failure increases significantly. Intestinal permeability can be caused by a variety of factors, including trauma (surgical, burns, others, antibiotic use,and some common food allergies such as cow’s milk and gluten (wheat) sensitivity.

It has been reported that intestinal mucosal cellular levels of L-glutamine are decreased in problems associated with the GIT, including ulcerative colitis, IBS, and Crohn’s Disease. L-glutamine has been reported effective in these problems associated with the GIT. Although current studies with L-glutamine in the treatment of ulcers are lacking, an older double-blind study reported that 22 of 24 ulcer patients treated with L-glutamine, 400mg, four times daily, exhibited complete healing within four weeks, which was documented and verified with x-rays.

Last edited by gort; 07-06-2006 at 09:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User
Re: L-glutamine for bowel repair

Also noticed my tongue is getting progressively more pink each day and hardly any white stuff on it. The fermented l-glutamine is killing the thrush in my mouth.

No more craving bread either. Coincidentally, I saw a nutritionist on a health show today recommending l-glutamine to stop cravings. This amino acid does so many good things.

Closed Thread