It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

peipaws HB User
Sound familiar to anyone?

I'm desperately trying to find a cause to my husbands issues. WEIGHT LOSS, nausea, fatigue, constipation/loose stools. He has had a EGD, colonoscopy, abdominal/pelvic and chest ct scan along with blood work ALL of which has shown NOTHING to cause this. He has a swallow test on friday. At first the gastro dr suspected a cancer of some sort....stomach, colon or lung....but found nothing. He can only eat a few bites and then the nausea hits and he stops eating. His normal weight is 180-185 and he's at 140 and still loosing. I've asked about chrone's and the dr said that would of shown up on the colonoscopy. Any suggestions of what I need to have them check next. My husband is even getting discouraged and wanting to cancel his appt on Friday. He keeps having test done for them to tell him they saw nothing to cause his issues. This weight loss is UNINTENTIONAL and in a matter of a couple months. He's been drinking alot of calories. Between those and the calories from the food he does eat he should at the very least maintain his current weight but it is not. He's loosing about 10lbs every 2 weeks. He may have a good day or 2 of eating and then the nausea comes back.

Any suggestions?
Vicky

Old 07-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User
Re: Sound familiar to anyone?

It does sound very familiar to what I have been going through for the past 3 years! I have nausea, full after a few bites, weight loss, fatigue, dizziness...the list goes on. I was told I have gastritis(through an endoscopy) and something my dr. called malabsorbtion(sp?). That is what he said the weight loss is from--don't know if it is because he never did any test to find out. Just went by what I told him--occasional loose stools with what looks like oil/fat floating in it (sorry if TMI). I have no idea what would cause it, I'm thinking something that has to do with having my GB removed? If your husband does find out what it is please post the results. I would be interested in knowing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi peipaws

sorry to hear about your husband being ill, but can i just say that the doctor is wrong to rule out crohn's becuase nothing shown up on the colonoscopy.

I have crohn's in my small bowel, and no exam of my large shown up crohn's as i dont have it there. What im trying to say is that crohn's can affect anywhere from the mouth right down to the rectum.

If i was you i would ask for tests on the small bowel only. My crohn's was confirmed by a barium meal. Im not saying it is crohn's but in order for it to be ruled out properly the small bowel shoudl also be investigated.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Just by chance does your husband get any abdomen pain???

Old 07-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
(female)

peipaws HB User

Thanks for your replies.

Sharon76, He doesn't really have pain. His heart burn hasn't even been a issue for months. When they did the EGD they saw area's of scar tissue from when it was bad that had healed even. He's still to take the nexium again.

He's scheduled for the "swallow" test friday. I think it says UGI-SBFT on the hospital paper. Is that the same test that found your Chrone's? I'm not sure if he will even go. He told me to cancel it when they called today with the latest bloodwork results.....everything fine. He's tired of missing work and having all the test done just to be told its fine. He's starting to doubt that there is a problem and maybe it is "stress". I told him someone under stress does not sleep all the time! If he's not moving then he falls asleep and its for 3-4hrs. He is always sleeping. This is not like him at all. He's not stressed and he is not depressed he is starving and tired.

diamond79, I would like to know how the test for malabsorbtion? I think that is a test they need to do. He has to take in a few stool samples. Is that what they are for?

peipaws

Old 07-13-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
(female)

Kathp HB User

I too think you should push for further testing for Crohns. His symptoms are text book. Another thing you might like to know is that Crohns is symptomatically similar to Coeliacs Disease. A Coeliacs marker will show up in blood work, but not routine bloodwork.. it has to be tested for specifically. Again, Coeliacs would show up on a gastroscopy (camera down the throat) and biopsy of the intestine. Just a thought, as the symptoms you describe are a carbon copy of mine, before I was diagnosed. Good luck and let us know if you have a breakthrough. Hope your hub feels better soon.

Closed Thread