It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
(male)

j.m. HB User
can fasting eliminate most digestive disorders??

...because i am seriously considering it.
i'm gonna start with a few days then progress to 40 days.
anyway what is anyone's opinion on this?
will this be helpful or should i just forget it?

Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Post Re: can fasting eliminate most digestive disorders??

Fasting is a healthy thing to do. But be careful-- It can also be danderous.

I suggest that you learn alot about it before starting it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
(female)

corricatt HB User
Re: can fasting eliminate most digestive disorders??

40 days? That's crazy!!!

Your body, your organs, YOUR BRAIN needs nutrients daily! Go to a health food store and ask about a colon cleanse or something... jeeez!

Old 09-29-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
(male)

j.m. HB User

yeah, i haven't attempted to do it yet. as you can see it's been awhile.
i took that last reply to heart.
but does anyone know if it will help get rid of my reflux and bloating?
has anyone ever tried it?
i might just go ahead and do it. what have i got to lose?
not so much a fast fast, but a juice or water fast???

Last edited by j.m.; 09-29-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

my thoughts are even if you feel less symptoms while on the fast, (bloating, etc), what happens when you end the fast?
I mean we have to eventually eat to live...

Old 09-29-2006, 07:52 PM   #6
(female)

linda36 HB User

I have reflux and when I don't eat and my stomach is completely empty it is like 10 times worse than usual. I try to eat small bland meals and keep something on my stomach. You can certainly try it but 40 days is really a little extreme.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

brazilman HB User

Hi JM

I know fasting to be good not only for all digestive problems, but also for most health issues, including cancer. But it doesn't have to be that long. Forty days is too long. You will need another 20 days to start eating normal food again. And then, where are you going to stay during these 60 or more days? Would you go on working or going to school (college?) during the fast? Such a long fast would be good only if you could afford to go to a spa.

Anyway, it was good to hear that you gave up the idea of a long fast. I would suggest two or three lines for you to consider:

1. Do a one-day fast every week. Choose one day of the week (Saturday or Sunday) when you can stay at home and rest as much as possible.

2. Follow a monodiet rather than a fast. The results are practically the same. But choose vegetable soup over fruit juice or whatever. If possible, prepare the soup yourself, cooking the veggies until they are very tender, like a velouté: potatoes, carrots, celery, etc... and a lot of herbs. Eat this soup for
breakfast, lunch and supper. And rest a lot.

3. As for your usual diet, can we check it together to see what can be done to enhance or make it healthier? Say what you eat and drink for each meal.

I am JC.

Best to you,

JC

Old 10-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
(male)

j.m. HB User

thanks, JC.

well, my usual menu goes something like this:

a turkey breast sandwich (on wheat bread) for breakfast or whenever,
a medium bowl of brown or steamed rice for breakfast, lunch or whenever,
a medium bowl of assorted fruit (apple slices, grapes, cantoloupe, etc.) or salad for lunch or whenever.
sometimes a large turkey breast or white meat chicken for lunch or dinner.
all with apple or orange juice, water or an organic mixed fruit drink.
nothing too interesting, it varies.
but i don't mind telling you sometimes it gets hard to maintain it because i miss eating alot of other foods like fried chicken, hamburgers, donuts, you name it,
and sometimes i'll fall of the wagon and "pig out" which certainly doesn't help matters.
actually "pigging out" too much is what got me like this in the first place...

there's alot of whole/organic food markets near my area,
so i usually get these items readymade in the deli section (yes, they have
vegetable soups and such all ready made, problem is they're too spicy
or contain tomatoes which i have to avoid because of my reflux.)
so i don't have to go and prepare them myself.
can't eat too much as i get too bloated easily though (that's the hardest part)...

yeah, i'm going through a rough time dealing with my bloating, reflux and constipation. i have a hiatal hernia and diverticulosis and i don't know what's causing what. the doctors are just yin-yanging me around and i haven't been properly diagnosed yet, still going through tests.
been going thru this since January.
but hopefully soon i'll be rid of these problems.

Last edited by j.m.; 10-04-2006 at 03:22 PM.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:48 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

brazilman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.m.
thanks, JC.

well, my usual menu goes something like this:

a turkey breast sandwich (on wheat bread) for breakfast or whenever,
a medium bowl of brown or steamed rice for breakfast, lunch or whenever,
a medium bowl of assorted fruit (apple slices, grapes, cantoloupe, etc.) or salad for lunch or whenever.
sometimes a large turkey breast or white meat chicken for lunch or dinner.
all with apple or orange juice, water or an organic mixed fruit drink.
nothing too interesting, it varies.
but i don't mind telling you sometimes it gets hard to maintain it because i miss eating alot of other foods like fried chicken, hamburgers, donuts, you name it,
and sometimes i'll fall of the wagon and "pig out" which certainly doesn't help matters.
actually "pigging out" too much is what got me like this in the first place...

there's alot of whole/organic food markets near my area,
so i usually get these items readymade in the deli section (yes, they have
vegetable soups and such all ready made, problem is they're too spicy
or contain tomatoes which i have to avoid because of my reflux.)
so i don't have to go and prepare them myself.
can't eat too much as i get too bloated easily though (that's the hardest part)...

yeah, i'm going through a rough time dealing with my bloating, reflux and constipation. i have a hiatal hernia and diverticulosis and i don't know what's causing what. the doctors are just yin-yanging me around and i haven't been properly diagnosed yet, still going through tests.
been going thru this since January.
but hopefully soon i'll be rid of these problems.
Hi j.m.

What do you think? Would you be able to follow the diet below? I think you could have a try and see if it makes you feel better...

Breakfast: freshly pressed veggies (cabbage, carrots, celery) (half a glass - you may need a juicer: this juice is optional, but it might help you if you included it into your routine) + warm beverage (could be tea or coffee, but no milk) + toast (white bread if you tend to have loose bowels, wholemeal if you tend to be constipated) + one or two poached eggs OR some (bio) ham OR some nuts (pre-soak and roast them if you want them more digestible)

Lunch: one carb (rice OR pasta OR potatoes OR bread) + one protein (meat or chicken or fish or eggs or seafood) + veggies (cooked, steamed and raw) seasoned with herbs and olive oil + dessert (milk-free chocolate or apple pie or fruit compote - avoid fresh fruit or dairy as dessert) + mineral water

Snack (4 PM): if hungry, eat one fresh fruit (apple, pear, peach, grapes, strawberries, whatever, but don't mix); if cold weather, you can have a banana or maybe dried fruit (dates, figs, prunes). This snack is optional.

Dinner: much like lunch, but avoid eating re-heated dishes.

Chew well, rest after each meal, don't eat between meals, don't overeat, end your meals with a cup of digestive tea. Start your day with a glass of lukewarm water. What do you think about doing yoga or tai-chi?

Let me hear from you, if appropriate.

JC

Old 10-06-2006, 07:19 AM   #10
(male)

jbar47 HB User

I've been looking into the same thing. Fasting can aid in healing in the digestive system because it gets a chance to rest and recover if it's not spending energy trying to digestive foods.

I plan on doing a juice fast. I think this is safer than water only, as the juice will give you nutrients and vitamins. I've heard the occasional mashed up banana will help keep sugar balance in line, and because its soft its very easy to digest.

Your goal of going as high as 40 days is a concern, however. If you are serious about that, I think you should try to find a healing institute that you stay at for the entire time and they monitor you and have medical staff available 24/7. They also assist you in reintroducing food into your system at the end of the fast.

I am going to start with a 3 day fast, wait a week, then try a 7 day fast and see how that goes.

Good luck, be careful, and let us know how you do!

Closed Thread