It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2006, 05:18 AM   #1
(female)

spark79 HB User
Constipation Advice

I'm new here so first of all, hi to everyone.

I wonder if anyone can help me. On the whole my digestion seems pretty normal and routined but I always have trouble with constipation and then diarrhea.

We go camping for our holidays and it seems like the change in routine for eating and using public toilets causes me to get constipation. I am then unable to go to the toilet for 3 to 4 days (I usually go once a day) and then when I do go I get really bad diarrhea for a day or two. This happens everytime we go away. We've got our summer holiday coming up next weekend and I don't want to have the same problems again. I bought some senna tablets and took one the other night when I was constipated but the following day I had awful diarrhea and painful stomach cramps - I'd originally thought it may be a good idea to take these at the beginning of my holiday but now there's no chance.

I just wondered if anyone had any tips on what to do about this. Is there any changes I could make to my diet in the next week to help? Anything I could try on holiday?

It's worrying me as it's so uncomfortable and a real inconvenience.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
(female)

AFH HB User
Re: Constipation Advice

Take a good over the counter Acidophilus (Probiotic) supplement. It's used to regulate digestion and intestinal issues.

Magnesium supplements also help to keep your regular but be careful because a high dose does have a laxative effect. Try it before your holiday and adjust the dosage if you feel it is too much.

Enjoy your holiday!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Constipation Advice

To have regular BMs all the time a person needs to eat 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily. It need to be a combination of both soluble fiberand insoluble fiber.

Soluble fiber bulks up your stool and insoluble fiber causes the intestinal muscles to contract passing digested food through your intestines.

You also need to drink enough water -- 6 to 8 glasses daily!!

Last edited by Harry; 07-09-2006 at 07:50 AM.

Closed Thread