It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2003, 12:53 PM   #1

leslie01 HB User
Lightbulb Can anyone tell me about a colonoscopy?

Well, I went to the doctor today and I was told that I am extremely anemic. The are thinking that I may have Irritable Bowl Syndrone or Colotis, causing the anemia.
I'm probably going to have a colonoscopy. Can anyone tell me about it? Did they sedate you at all? Is it as bad as it sounds?

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2003, 01:30 PM   #2

gillian30 HB User
I just had an endoscopy this week, which is similar except they put a tube down my throat instead of the other end! A colonoscopy is something you prepare for by drinking liquid given to you by your doctor for about 2 days before the procedure. It makes you go to the bathroom like crazy, to "clean yourself out". When you go to the hospital or the doc's office for your colonoscopy, you will be sedated, as much or as little as you request. (For my endoscopy I requested extremely light sedation, I don't like anesthesia.) They will insert the tube, take a look around up there, maybe take a biopsy, and inflate you with air to get a better look at you in there. You'll be awake immeadiatley after it's over, and sit in recovery for about an hour. It's really no big deal at all. My biggest fear was the sedation, and they worked with me on that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2003, 04:39 PM   #3
(female)

carol thomas HB User
I'm very familiar with colonoscopy as I had it done in May. Several friends have recently had the procedure as well, primarily because we are about 50 and docs recommended it.

I had some complaints as well, so they were checking me for colitis, too.

Long story short: the preparation is nasty, but certainly not intolerable. You just have to spend much time in the bathroom but there is no pain involved -- you can drink the stuff they prescribe with water or soda or Gatorade or whatever, so long as it isn't red, because the dye could be mistaken for blood, I guess. Your doc will give you a list of what is acceptable.

Anyway, the procedure itself was a BREEZE! They started an IV line in which to give the anesthetic (it's not the tube-down-the-throat version, thank goodness!)

Doctors in Los Angeles these days knock the patients out, totally. I was completely "asleep" and it's great. You just kind of drift off and are pulled back from that "sleep" afterwards in the same fashion. We all wished we had that delightful "drug" at home! What a feeling!

Afterwards, I ate light for one day as there is a little bloating and gas, but again, it's not a big deal at all and is not painful or long-lasting. Honestly, if I hadn't seen the pictures taken during the procedure I'd have sworn NOTHING had taken place at all.

Go for it; you'll be glad you did. By the way, they took three samples to check for colitis but there was no sign of it. If they find polyps, they will snip them out the same way. You may or may not have a drop or two of blood within a week of the procedure; I did NOT, but they tell you it's possible. Again, no big deal.

Best wishes for a positive outcome! You won't like drinking the solution beforehand, but the procedure itself is easy to take. Insist on the "total knock-out" however; I understand if you are awake it's not so totally pleasant.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
There are two different preps that get used, depending on the preference of the facility where you have it done. Neither is terribly pleasant, but for both you have a liquid diet the day before the procedure, with one you drink the liquid the others have described, with the other you take a saline laxative. Same effect either way . . . you need to be near the bathroom for a while after taking it.

You are usually sedated for the procedure, and most people don't even remember it happening.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:09 PM   #5

bronti HB User
I've had 2 Colonoscopy's. 1st one was 3 yrs ago and I also had one about 2 weeks ago along with an Endoscopy procedure performed at the same time. Neither time did I have any discomfort. To be honest, the most unpleasant part is the preparation the day before. I basically had the same experience as the others have mentioned. Not to worry !
Best of Luck to you !

Closed Thread