It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User
Ercp Procedure - Help

Hi,

I am writing about my mom. She has, since January, had 2 attacks which we thought were indigestion/stomach virus. After each attack of pain between the breasts, fever, nasusa and vomiting, a couple of days later she looked "Yellow" to me. Both times her blood tests came back with elevated liver enzymes. Back in March she had a sonogram full abominal sonagram, which did not show anything. Her coloring goes back to normal. This time though, she had a pain in the right side of her abdomen that went to the side and back. I thought she pulled a muscle. Each time, when her blood was retested less than a week later, everything goes back to normal and the jaundice disappears. Last week, after the same thing happened, they send her for a sonogram for the liver area only. The technician said he sees a stone in her common bile duct. Her doctor stressed to us how important it is to have this removed because if it moves it can cause problems that can be severe which in turn would cause emergency surgery if it moves and doesn't unblock (pancriatitis being one of the them problems). We went to see a gastroenterologist and we scheduled my mom for a ERCP procedure for this Friday. There are some side effects that come from this as well which scares me. Some of these side effects are pancreatitis, a severed orgna, etc. SHE DOES NOT HAVE A GALL BLADDER IT WAS REMOVED ABOUT 35 YEARS AGO. This endoscopic procedure is the only way to do this now, as she isn't a candidate for laporscopic surgery since she has had other surgery in the past.

Can you still create stones in your bile duct without a gall bladder? I am worried and scared that when they do this procedure they will finder cancer. Would the sonogram have showed other problems, even a mass other than a stone? Do they know wht a stone looks like as opposed to a mass?

I guess the best thing to do is the least invasive procedure. If she has to have surgery, he will have to have the real thing, open surgery, which we don't want if not necessary.

Any advice? Has anyone heard of this happening before? I don't see how a stone could have been left behind 35 years ago and cause problems now???????? Could this be a mistake?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
(female)

mfife31 HB User
Re: Ercp Procedure - Help

I have known 2 different people that have had stones after gall bladder removal.I'm not sure how common it is but at least they found it.I am sure she will feel better .Its a pretty non invasive way to go and better than doing nothing. Not only could it effect her pancrease but possibly back bilke up into her liver as well.Good luck to her!!! hope all goes well
Mfife31

Old 07-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

Thank you very much. I hope the procedure goes smoothly. I am going to need a doctor after all this! THank you and say a prayer.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
(female)

agurl79 HB User

Hi. I've had an ERCP before, it was after I had a severe case of acute pancreatitis. The one thing they stressed to me was that the actual ERCP could cause pancreatitis again. I'm not sure how common it is to get pancreatitis after ERCP, but they sure were right. I now have Chronic Pancreatitis. They took my Gall Bladder out thinking that was causing the repeated attacks of pain, but it still didn't go away.
Just be sure to report and increasing pain or nausea after the test. Sometimes they keep you in the hospital overnight after and ERCP and sometimes they don't. I guess it depends on the doc.
Hope your mom is feeling better soon!!!

Old 07-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I did read that it could cause pancreatitis and I asked the doctor last week. He didn't stress it but he did say that there was a possibility of that happening.

Can you clarify for me what happened to you again? I don't understand. Did you go in for the procedure becuase of your condition or did you have it in the past, and then the procedure brought it on again??? Sorry to make you repeat your story but I want to be clear.

Also, what exactly is pancreatitis???

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

HI

My mom went for her procedure on Friday. They could not get the stones out. Thank God it is stones. Her GI said there were 2 big hard stones there that he could not remove. He inserted a stent and said he will leave that there for 3 months. Hopefully, the stones will loosen/wear down and in 3 months he will go back in and try to either remove them or crush them. He also said he thinks that 3 had a third stone that passed naturally but it perforated the bowl. However, he said that will heal itself.

She has beent tired. She was sore for a few days and tired. Her regular MD is giving her some B-12 shots to help her get along.

Is it normal to be sore after this procedure?

Thank you all for your help. We have to do this again in 3 months.

DMA

Closed Thread