It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 05:38 PM   #1

bronti HB User
Post ???'s I need to ask surgeon tomorrow ...

I have an appt. w/ a surgeon tomorrow p.m. per my gastro. Dr. to go over Hidescan and other tests ( endoscopy, colonoscopy & ultra-sound ). Ultra-sound was negative on gallstones, endoscopy showed acid reflux, colonoscopy resulted in the removal of non-precancerous polyps & diverticulosis ( I'm @ that age ! ) Hidescan was performed last Monday. During the 1st part, my gallbladder did not even appear on the screen until almost the very end of the test. Towards the middle they asked me if I had ever had any gallbladder surgery. I haven't. Then they asked me if I had a ride home, they may have to give me morphine???? No explanation. Finally my gallbladder became visible and the tech said that type of delay happens sometimes ????? ( My gallbladder is camera shy ! ) The 2nd part of the test was awful, when the gallbladder was squeezed I was in pain and almost to the point of vomiting, but I didn't.
That evening the dr. calls me and said my gallbladder is not functioning properly and referrred me to a surgeon I know. This particular surgeon has been monitoring my white blood count for 8-9 months as it has been consistently above normal. It's to the point now that my entire abdomen is sensitive to touch (outside) and I'm constantly bloated and have pain. Within the past 4 days, I've come very close to going to ER. After reading some of the posts about side effects and continuing discomfort after gallbladder removal, I am a bit nervous. I can't imagine going thru surgery and possibly not feeling any better or worse afterwards. As for now, the current discomfort is affecting my daily activities, including work. For you individuals who have gone thru this, can you please advise me of pertinent questions to ask and information that I should obtain during my appt. w/ the surgeon tomorrow. I would appreciate any info you can provide me beforehand.
Thank You ..
**Sorry this is so long ! **

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2003, 06:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
bronti,
I don't know what kind of gas that is used to inflate you during a laproscopic procedure but I think they use carbon dioxide and if they don't get it all out ---the remainer can turn into carbolic acid causing a lot of pain.

This happened to my oldest son!!! So, discuss it with him.

God Bless---Harry

Old 08-11-2003, 02:01 PM   #3

bronti HB User
Well, my visit to the surgeon wasn't very productive.
She went over all my tests ( except ultra-sound, she didn't get a copy of it ! ). She is not totally convinced that my gallbladder is the culprit. She sent me for another blood work-up ( liver etc.) and gave me a prescription for Donatal Extendtabs. Sent me on my merry way to return on the 26th when she returns from vacation !! Til' then, I'm on my own.
All I can say, is that they better relieve some of this pain or I'll be headed to ER b-4 her return.
Anyone here ever taken Donatal, if so did they relieve any of the discomfort for you ???????

Closed Thread