It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
(female)

bounce HB User
Unhappy ANY OTHER OPTIONS

HI THERE
IM new to this part of the site i normally reside in spinal and back problems anyhow

i have gallstones lots of them well recently i got one stuck in my bile duct not pleassant i went a nice shade of yellow even the whites of my eyes where yellow and i was peeing billierubin (sp) and in alot of pain i had to have an ERCP done to removee the stone but i still need to get gallbladder out which i dont want after hearing things said on the board here and doing internet searches so are there other options and why have i not been told about them from the surgeon who wants to take it out im only 28 and like the rest of you dont want the complications that occur from not having gallbladder
so what are the options and has anyone had any luck with them
cheers for any help
takecare Bounce http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif
march 2000 after having ct scan discovered i was prgnant NOT PLANNED
decemeber 2000 had beautiful baby boy who is my motivation
feb 2002 had surgrey a long gap form accident to op as i also breest fed my wee boy
feb 5th 2002 had my back op
posterior osteotomy and release,subsequent anterior trans thorasic approach with corpectomy of T8 and reconstruction using mesh cage with rib bone graft and a third stage of posterior correction of the deformity using pedicle screw instrumention and further bone grafting.
own bone used rib 7 on left side so have big gap
march 17 2003 got all clear from surgeon i have fused
-----------------
july 2003 ercp to remove gallstone from bile duct
august 2003 gallbladder removed

Old 08-10-2003, 11:45 PM   #2
(female)

carol thomas HB User
I have lots of gallstones, too! Guess we are part of a very large segment of the population of the world with the little darlings. Over 20 million stone-carriers in the U.S. alone! And over 500,000 GB removal surgeries per YEAR in the U.S., many of them with a not so happy ending like long term or life long digestive complaints like you've read about here.

About two months ago I had what is suspected to have been passage of a stone -- VERY painful abdomen, stabbing pains, for over two hours, but I held out and didn't go to the ER. It stopped, finally, with no other symptoms. Since then, I've had an ultrasound that revealed stones, and a basic HIDA scan. Yes, there are stones, but otherwise things appear normal.

GI doc is in a big hurry for me to have surgery; though he is NOT a surgeon. (Does he get a referral fee from a surgeon??) Like many, I fear surgery and even more-so because I nearly died from anesthesia after a hysterectomy many moons ago. But I digress...

Here's what we stone-carriers CAN easily do -- we can cut as much refined sugar as possible out of our diets. Ditto for starchy foods, fried foods, greasy foods, etc. No white breads of any kind. Cut way back on pasta, etc.

Drink chamomile tea, eat apples, eat carrots (the pectin is supposed to be good for the GB) and take Milk Thistle. Yes, it's an herb but it's been known to help liver/GB problems for 2000 years. Read up on it, it's all over the web. Milk Thistle gets high marks from just about everyone and is not known to have any bad side effects. Get enough Vitamin C, too. VERY important.

As a result of this "gall bladder diet," in six weeks I lost 10 pounds, feel much, much better, have had NO further complaints and the vague and annoying digestive upsets I'd been experiencing for six months prior to the "attack" are gone. Everything I learned was thanks to my local bookstore and the internet. No doctor will tell you anything other than "have tests and then have surgery."

Fortunately, my "family doc" agrees with me that surgery LATER, if I get really sick, is more appropriate than when just one or two incidents have taken place.

For the record, there are a lot of people out there with stones who only suffer occasional attacks and manage this as a "condition" rather than a crisis requiring surgery. Of course, if you are getting really sick very often, and your routine is constantly upset, by all means have surgery. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you -- and try the "gall bladder" diet. It's not bad at all and can't hurt you one bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
Read my posts on chinese medicine in this forum. I have successfully disolved .5 cm from my huge 2.8 cm stone. It is down to 2.3 cm.
Or do a web search for chanca piedra a south american drug that also dissolves gall and kidney stones.

Old 08-11-2003, 04:27 PM   #4
(female)

bounce HB User
thanks for the replys

carol you have some good points i dont want surgery and will try anything to get away from it so far ive only had one unlucky big stone getting trapped in my bile duct we have gallbladders for a reason and i want to keep mine

farscape i have read youre posts and it is amazing the results you are getting are you doing anything else apart from taking the stuff it sounds very expensive i hope it continues to get smaller

have you heard of the flushes you can do and what do you think of them i have done a bit of reading about them but a bit weary of them unless i had guidence doing them what do you think ????

thanks again takecare Bounce http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif
march 2000 after having ct scan discovered i was prgnant NOT PLANNED
decemeber 2000 had beautiful baby boy who is my motivation
feb 2002 had surgrey a long gap form accident to op as i also breest fed my wee boy
feb 5th 2002 had my back op
posterior osteotomy and release,subsequent anterior trans thorasic approach with corpectomy of T8 and reconstruction using mesh cage with rib bone graft and a third stage of posterior correction of the deformity using pedicle screw instrumention and further bone grafting.
own bone used rib 7 on left side so have big gap
march 17 2003 got all clear from surgeon i have fused
-----------------
july 2003 ercp to remove gallstone from bile duct
august 2003 gallbladder removed

Closed Thread