[firstly, sorry for the length of the post]
I've had a problem for a couple of years now and all the doctors and specialists I have seen haven't been able to cure me. So I'm now turning to the web.. which is rather odd as it has taken me a long time to ask for help from the web and I'm an IT geek (network admin). I should have checked here first.. anyway, here is my problem, I hope you can help.
Up until about 2 years ago I could literally eat anything and almost never had any stomach troubles. Now, I have nothing but. When I was in London for work, I got very sick. It came on very suddenly and forced me back to my hotel. I got a really bad stomach ache, had diarrhoea and felt quite nauseas. I spent a few hours on the toilet then fell asleep and seemed ok in the morning. I had diarrhoea on and off for the next few weeks. The doctor I saw after I got back to Australia thought I might have picked up Giardia so gave me a very strong drug to whack it (can't remember the name but it came as 4 tablets I took all at the same time and I couldn't drink alcohol for 5 days). That seemed to work for a time but the symptoms (see below) soon started again. About 6 months later a different doctor prescribed a different drug again on the suspicion that Giardia was to blame. Same result.
Since then, I have seen a range of general practioneers and specialists without any luck. Medical tests
- Numerous blood tests have shown normal levels of everything you could possibly measure in my blood. I think I've had over 15 blood tests now.. quite extraordinary. The _only_ thing that was found was the "marker" for Glandular Fever (I believe it's called "Infectious mononucleosis" or mono in the US) - the doctor can't say if I have it now, only that the marker is in my blood which means I have had it at one time or another.
- Stool tests (while suffering a "loose" movement period) revealed no parasites or virus.
- Endoscopy - revealed nothing sinister. Tested for Celiac's disease, lactose intollerance and stomach cancer - all negative. Did not some of the cells around where the stomach meets the oesophegas were inflamed. Tested these cells which were benign.
- Colonoscopy (aren't these fun!
) - I'm not sure what he tested for but they didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Symptoms
The symptoms tend to come and go every few weeks. Most annoying as I can't predict when I'll have the symptoms and when I won't. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason.
- Excessive belching (belching further increases if I exercise - eg running, roller blading)
- Feeling of mild heart burn that is there 90% of the time (like now)
- Feeling in my stomach that is hard to describe, it's like my stomach never stops digesting. Even hours after I eat, it feels like I still have food being digested in my stomach.
- Bowel motions varying from constipation one day to very loose (not diarrhoea, just loose, greasy (ie sticks to the bowl easily) and somewhat yellowy) the next. When loose, I don't need to run to the toilet but when I do go, it's loose and the smell is akin to diarrhoea.
- Swings in body temperature (feeling cold one minute then a fever the next)
- An "unwell" feeling in my entire belly - not nausea, more gassy and bloaty and generaly "not right"
- Increased need to urinate
- Slightly runny nose (clear)
- General weak feeling
- Lowered sex drive
- Recently I have also noticed an issue with my heart that I believe is an arrithmia. A few times a day it feels like my heart skips or double beats. I read this could be associated with increased stomach acid or the heart burn feeling.
- Loss of appetite
swollen glands around the neck and ears
One thing I should note is that these symptoms are not debilitating. More annoying and "weakening" than anything. Only once every 4 months or so do I get floored and then I usually just sleep for a day and I'm ok to go again. Environment
I thought it might be something in my environment but I moved house last Christmas and I still have the problem. No one else at work has any problems like these. Food/Allergies
I've kept a food diary and can see nothing common. Even if I keep to very bland meals for a week the symptoms can swing in out of nowhere.
Also, as I said at the outset, I used to be able to eat anything.. however, I do realize that allergies can develop over time. Mental
I have wondered if it might all be a mental problem.. if so, how do I determine that and then how would I deal with it?
As you can see, I've tried just about everything traditional modern medicine would suggest with no luck. So, any help would be gratefully received. I love my food and exercise.. but most of all I like to feel well!
Thanks in advance!