It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 04:22 PM   #1
Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User
Post Ulcer?

I ate some taco bell the other day and my symptoms got worse. Maybe it is an ulcer (from all the hard liquer I drank in April) but I do not have sharp pains. Just a lot of acid reflux and such fullness and feeling of swollen insides that I have trouble breathing and get hyperventilation. BUT thankfully it was not that bad after I ate the taco bell, but I did not feel good at all and it kept me up for 2 nights in a row.
Is this the symptoms of ulcer(s)????? I took prevacid 3 weeks ago for only 7 days and nothing much happened, the acid kinda stopped but no healing or end of the stomach illness. DOES prevacid take many months or weeks for it to cure the stomach issues???????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2003, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I was diagnosed with stomach and duodenal ulcers back in May. I am still having problems but I dodn't think it's ulcer related. Also, my last scope didn't show any ulcers either. The Prevacid did well for me after I was diagnosed with ulcers. My other problems started once I came off the Prevacid. Still trying to figure out what my other problems are.

Have you been diagnosed with ulcers or are you wondering if you may have them. My pain started about 30 minutes after a meal. I believe it was the acid hitting the ulcers which caused all the pain. My ulcers were caused by NSAIDs (ibuprofen) and alcohol. I just wish that I could get my others problems solved. Doc thinks it may be stress but I am not believing that. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2003, 03:38 PM   #3
Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User
When I was in the ER in such intense discomfort the doctors did a body X RAY ,urine and blood tests and everything came back just fine. The doctor was looking at me in REAL concern thinking what the devil could this be. I am 20 years old and thin and pretty healthy (besides the fact that I drank a lot of booze in april , and I also had been bleaching my teeth but once in blue moon). Well with a lot of concern the doctor just said that I had gastristus or maybe an ulcer.

I have chronic (ever lasting) discomfort but the anguish ranges from 2 through 8. If I eat bland foods I'll be ok and the discomfort is only a 2 or 3.

We are not postive if it is an ulcer or not or gastritis for sure. But what kind of symptoms did you have with your ulcers? Also was it ever lasting? Or only when you ate food? Did your prevacid realive all pain??

Old 08-13-2003, 07:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
My pain started about 30 minutes to 1 hour after a meal. It felt like my stomach was about to explode. I felt some naussea but never vomitted. Once the intense pain was gone, I could still feel the discomfort throughout the day. Once I was diagnosed by endoscope, I was put on Prevacid twice a day and had to take an antacid 1 & 3 hours after every meal. My pain was gone after about 3 - 4 days. However, from the day I was in the hospital to the time I started eating again spanned about 4 days. That probably helped my ulcers too. So in total, I would say at least a week before I felt normal. The only thing that wan't normal were my stools. I constantly had loose stools and would go 2 - 3 times a day where in the past I was good for just one a day.

After enjoying normality for about a month, I started having problems again. It started about 4 days after I finished my Prevacid. The pain wasn't as bad as the first time. I call it more like severe discomfort and not pain. Anyway, I was put on Aciphex which did nothing so I suffered for about a week and went to the emergency room twice. I was told that I was probably having trouble with my ulcers again. I finally got to see a gastro doc and another scope was performed. No ulcers were found and I was told that I had mild gastritis.

I was put back on the Prevacid and Librax. I still haven't felt normal yet and that has been two months ago. I have also had a abdominal ct scan which was negative. My symptoms are still upper abdominal discomfort esp after I eat and standup with a slight feeling of discomfort under my righ rib cage. My doctor is trying to say stress and IBS w/o doing all the tests. I will be seeing him today so I plan to ask for the rest of the tests to rule out everything else.

Seems like physical activity is the only thing that gives me some relief. I have started taking Metamucil hoping bulk up my stools some so they won't be so soft. Since I started the Metamucil, the discomfort isn't as bad but now I just don't go to the bathroom. And finally, about a week ago I was put on a flagyl and did fine while I was on it. Two days after the flagyl was finished, the discomfort was back. I plan to talk to the doctor today about that.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-14-2003, 03:04 PM   #5
Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User
Did you have any trouble breathing, or feel short of breath or kinda hyperventilate?

When I do any type of excercise I get REAL tired fast.

Closed Thread