It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 11:55 PM   #1

Jumpin jim HB User
Unhappy Gallstones

Hi, my 21 year old sister found out she had gallstones and is probably going to need surgery. I think a stone moved into her bile duct.

Shes never had surgery and shes really scared...(shes kind of a wimp) I try my best to make her feel better but i have no idea if its going to turn out ok..

Ive read a lot online but i wanted to hear from a person who's gone through this.
Has anyone had their gallbladder taken out? Could you please help me out...is it painful?

How serious is this surgery in comparison to other surgeries? What procedure would you recommend?

Please, any advice would really help. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2003, 12:13 AM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Hey there...the procedure to take out gallstones is a very common one, and the surgeon that's doing it is most likely very experienced. The good thing is, instead of opening you up (i.e. an incision in your abdomen) like they used to), if the stones aren't complicated, they'll make a tiny incision and but in a scope that is able to take out the gall bladder. This is better because there is less tissue trauma.

Tell your sister not to worry! She'll be fine!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 12:26 AM   #3

Jumpin jim HB User
Smile

Thanks for the speedy reply! ..I was reading a bit about that endoscope thing they use and it sounds alot better than having to open you up.

I'll try to keep her spirits up and hopefully get her to stop being such a sissy

Thanks again! Have a good night.

Old 08-18-2003, 07:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi there. Read through other posts here too for additional info for your sister. Gall bladder surgery is not exactly a piece of cake, but it certainly was tolerable. I had laproscopic surgery in the afternoon and went home the next morning. She may feel like her abdomen has been run over by a truck, but pain pills will help with that. She should feel much better within a week, and back to all typical activity within a month.

Good luck and keep us posted on her outcome,
Katie G

Closed Thread