It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 04:32 PM   #1

swami20 HB User
Question Anybody try Slippery Elm?

My 80 year old father has been having trouble with what he calls a "sour stomach", has gas and reflux. He tried Nexium for a short time but felt terrible on it. I've heard that the herb Slippery Elm is good for problems like this and coats the stomach. I've done some reading on it and it seems to have very minimal, if any, side effects, and doesn't conflict with other medications. Has anyone tried this?

Old 08-20-2003, 06:57 AM   #2
cheribe

Hi
Never tried slippery elm, but thought I would tell you my experience with the PPI,,, my doc says that nexium and prilosec are the same thing. Originally my doc put me on 20mg prilosec,, I just refused to take it like I should, because it made me feel miserable. After a few years of misery I finally went to a doc who said it comes in a lower dose lets try that,,, so they put me on 10 mg. prilosec and I do just splendidly on that. Several doctors since have said "10 mg prilosec? I think you mean 20 they don't make 10's",,,,,, but I am here to tell you they DO make a smaller dose and it MIGHT be just the ticket for him as it was for me.
Cheribe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2003, 10:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Slippery Elm is a herbal remedy that is good for diarrhea. I have not heard about it coating the stomach though.

When I had a stomach upset, I contacted my ND and he suggested that I drink some Chamomile tea with some Slipperly Elm added to it. This was to stop the diarrhea and help settle my stomach generally and the Chamomile tea was to help my stomach pains. Both worked very well.

Closed Thread