It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 03:16 PM   #1

Derry HB User
Post Nexium side effects

I have been on Nexium for stomach ulcers for about a week. Since using the drug, I have been experiencing a dull ache in my chest (upper breastbone). It's not painful but it's noticeable. It feels almost like a muscle ache or bruised bones. Has anyone else experienced this side effect?
Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 03:53 PM   #2

cydney HB User
Derry
I have been on Nexium for acid reflux for almost a year now. I get a pain at the base of my rib cage, always on the left side. It varies in intensity from sometimes very painful to other times just a nagging aching feeling. I'm currently seeing a gastro & have had upper gi, ultrasound, cat scan...and so far nothing. Doc has suggested scoping upper & lower, but he doesn't suspect anything serious & right now believes the pain is stress related. I would very much like to keep in touch with you, as I had never considered that the pain might be a side effect of Nexium.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 04:59 PM   #3

surfgirls HB User
I have been on Nexium for 3months and have experienced a dull pain by my ribs and breastbone. It feels just like you said, like a strained muscle or something. Mine occurs off and on, not everyday. It's annoying.

Old 08-14-2003, 06:46 AM   #4

Derry HB User
Let's all keep in touch. Nexium is such a new drug that we may be experiencing an uncommon side effect that's not well-documented yet. Like you, Surfgirls, my pain comes and goes. It's more annoying than painful--I just want to make sure it's not dangerous.

Best of luck!

Old 08-14-2003, 01:10 PM   #5
Inactive

KJM HB User
I switched from Protonix to Nexium a few months ago and I've been experiencing similar symptoms. My discomfort is right below the breastbone and is a milder version of the heartburn pain I used to experience. But the dull ache you describe is very close to it. I also wake up in the middle of the night and feel a little nauseous sometimes. Do you ever feel like that? I need to talk to my doctor about other options, because my throat problems (coughing, throat clearing, etc.) have been worse on Nexium.

Old 08-16-2003, 02:25 AM   #6

simon robson HB User
hello iam on Nexium.I cant type!I HAVE PAINS IN MY LOWER RIBS AND BREAST BONE .USUALLY after lying on my side . Ithink IWAS OK BEFORE NEXIUM BUT CANT BE SURE.Next job is to get practice at typimg!

------------------
j.simon robson

Old 08-16-2003, 03:17 AM   #7

cathy2752 HB User
Well I never made any connection to NExium to it before but you guys describe exactly what I also experience....I have been on nexium for more than a year and for months have taken 100mg daily...60 in am and 40 in pm...I have a constant non-stop pain in sternum area that can go from a mild dull pain to doubling over type pains very quickly....My Dr. is aware of this pain but he has never said anything about nexium being the cause....Does make me wonder....

Old 08-16-2003, 10:20 AM   #8

tootsone HB User
Smile

Hi All,

I have acid reflux, I haven't seen a Dr. yet, but I have all the symptoms, just waiting for my prescription plan to start, before I go, because I sure can't afford what they want for these pills. I was just wondering, if all of you are experimenting these pains in these areas, have any of your doctors suggested changing your medication?

Old 08-16-2003, 01:19 PM   #9

cydney HB User
How many tests have you guys undergone for this pain? This pain is definitely different than the acid reflux pain & pressure. Now the difficult decision--stop the Nexium & see if this pain goes away, only to maybe have the reflux pain return???? or continue with gastro docs advice to have upper & lower scope???Anyone heard of people on the other ppi's (prevacid, prilosec) experiencing this pain?
Take care all

Old 08-16-2003, 10:31 PM   #10

kc2310 HB User
I have been on Nexium for about 3 months or so and after about 1 month I began to experience this same pain in my breastbone area- it can become extremely painful but usually does not last long.. my father who is also on it has had this same side effect. Sounds like it's fairly common!

Old 08-16-2003, 10:48 PM   #11

Canyonbabe HB User
I have had no luck with PPI's like Nexium, protonix, etc. My new gastroenterologist took me off all of them. The other one I had just kept uping them. This new doctor says it just treats the symptoms and he believes in treating the cause so we are working on improving my digestion by better motility. First I am having an endoscopy since it has been almost a year since my last. I have short segment Barrett's. He also told me with the exception of chocolate, anything mint and alcohol I could eat anything that did not bother my stomach and to take Pepcid or Tagamet if I had a problem. This gastro MD is highly qualified, teaches at Stanform Medical, etc. but it is really weird that his opinions are so different. Still have a lot of questions for him which I will discuss after the endo results. Should be interesting but I feel much better without the PPI's. By the way I had no symptoms of acid reflux before the endo so the Barretts was a surprise to all. It was done because of bloating.

Old 08-18-2003, 04:14 AM   #12

simon robson HB User
Red face

dear CYDNEY

I have started the experiment as per your suggestion .
I stopped taking Nexium (LAST ONE )on 15 august. Woke up today with no pain in ribs but small ache in sternum.also have been swimming again in my pool.I have previpously been too frightened due fear of reflux attack . Happy to report no attck this time even without Nexium.Tomorrow going to Marseille hospital to see top doc .Will get results of HIDA SCAN
OF BILIARY TRACT,and barium contrast x ray of small bowel. Already had three looks down oesophagus and colonoscopy and PH testing and manometrry testing
Main problem recently is gross chronic nausea which can last 6 days non stop and chest spasms and stomach spasms Tried Zanax.Only sends me to sleep ,very convenient, but not a cure.no appetite constipated .Doc says Gastritis and colitis and IBS.
THEY SURE LIKE COVERING THEMSELVES! typing no better
yet! bye bye 4 now.

Old 08-18-2003, 10:19 AM   #13

cydney HB User
simon robson,
Good luck with your test results! I forgot to take my nexium yesterday..and guess what? no rib pain!! but I did have a couple of acid burps. very interesting....

Old 08-18-2003, 02:32 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
To the ppl on this board that have been talkng about the pain under the breastbone.I have it too ive had it off and on for years.Every since i started having gerd.I dont think it has anything to do wth the meds your taking.Im on prevacid now ,ive taken zantac,tagamet prilosec and acidphex.On all those meds ive experienced the pain underneath the breastbone on the ribcage.I never had this before until i was diagnosed with gerd.The doctors are stumped as to what is causing it.It usually comes and goes for a few days or few weeks.Then it mysteriously disappears for a few months.This time it came back 6 months ago and stayed.Its a very frustrating problem.If any of you posters findout what is causing the problem,and the remedy for it please let us know.Maybe some ppl have better doctors then others.

------------------

Old 08-19-2003, 01:15 PM   #15

simon robson HB User
Red face

dear Cydney and all,
hida scan of liver OK today .no bile entering stomach.
Saw doctor at hospital .He has been skiimg .He told me Iwas not really sick .I drove 4 hours to see him for 20 minutes.He told me to see a shrink. Iam disgusted .
Came home . Felt hungry. HAD a small dinner.Now completely bloated from colon to heart. Cant get rid of gas bloat feeling .Tried xanax. no good ,Tried rennies ,no good.tried alcohol ,no good.felt ill immediately after food,not going to take nexium. still experimenting with getting rid of nausea.Atleast he admitted to me that Nexium can cause nausea.I didnt dare mention rib and sternum pains!will let you all know next move in this enthralling saga of man versus medicos.

------------------
j.simon robson

Closed Thread