It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

agurl79 HB User
Doctor wouldn't listen!

Ok.. here's a little background on me.. I was recently diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis, and for the past 6 days I have been very nauseas with vomiting, and increased pain in my left upper quadrant that radiates to my back. I called my GI doc, to tell him that I was pretty sure I was dehydrated and I've tried everything I can think of but can't even keep a few ice chips down..

I went to my GI yesterday, after the nurse had told me that he wanted to direct admit me for IV fluids, phenergan, and pain meds.. I got there and all he did was order a CT Scan to be done on Friday, and blood work to be done on Friday. He told me to go home and drink Gatorade. Gatorade? I can't even keep ice chips down and he wants me to drink Gatorade? I did try it, but as I suspected it came right back up. It's now been about 95+ hours since I have eaten or kept anything down. Plus for the CT scan he ordered IV and PO contrast. I kept trying to tell him there was no way I would keep the PO contrast down long enough to have the scan, and there was no way they would be able to get an IV on me for the IV contrast, especially since I'm obviously dehydrated... it just seemed like he wouldn't listen to me. I can't keep my pain meds down, so i don't even have any pain relief here at home. I've been taking IM Phenergan, and IM zofran, and "silver bullets" (which normally work), with no nausea relief... what to do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
(female)

Sammy1000 HB User
Re: Doctor wouldn't listen!

Hello Igurl,
I don't have any answers for you. I am going through the same thing as you.
Non-stop vomiting all night, every time I lay down. During the day its been severe nausea. I have H-Pylori, but my doctor said she had never seen anyone this sick with H-Pylori. I had to stop the antibiotics today to see if I can get this vomitting under control. I am very frustrated with my doctor right now.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
(female)

MFord1206 HB User
Re: Doctor wouldn't listen!

Hi AGurl,

I have had several times in the past few months when I have been as sick as you explain. Back in April, I had acute cholecystitis and ended up having the gallbladder out (they only found out that's what was wrong with me after I spent a week in the hospital), but anyways, I had gone over 4 days without anything to eat or drink, and like you couldn't even keep down ice chips, which means I couldn't keep down the oral Zofran or pain pills. My doctor called me in a prescription for Zofran ODT. It is a small tablet that you place on your tongue and it dissolves, so there is nothing you have to keep down. I did find that I had to take at least 8mg before I got any relief though. It did help me a bit, but my doctor ended up direct admitting me to the hospital for IV fluids and IV Zofran and Dilaudid because I was so dehydrated. I ended up having to have a central line put in because of the dehydration and none of the nurses could get an IV in me...my veins had basically collapsed. As for pain meds, my doctor has prescribed me a pain medicine that you inhale as a nasal spray. It is called Stadol. It's a narcotic that, when inhaled into the nose, is converted by the body into Morphine. It seems to be very potent and works well when you have nausea and vomiting and cannot keep down any pills.

I had the CT scan with both contrasts the day after I was admitted and I told the CT tech that there was probably no way I could keep the PO contrast down and she told me if I threw it up, they would have to put in a nasogastric tube and pump it in me that. After hearing that, I was able to keep it down, but I made sure they gave me some IV Zofran before I had to start drinking it to keep me from vomiting.

It sounds like you definitely need to be in the hospital. Have you considered going to the ER to see if you might could get the ER doc to admit you? I know how hard it is when you know you should be in the hospital but you can't convince the doctor so. Hope you get some relief...keep us posted!

Megan

Closed Thread